cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UEFI BIOS update procedure is very user unfriendly

perunosx
Level 7
Hello
I have asus strix z270g, core i7 7700k and two sticks of Kingston HyperX KHX3000C15D4/8GX
This motherboard is PITA in bios updates and settings
I have decided to update from bios version 1009 to 1203.
Every bios update drops setting to defaults, forgets old saved presets.
Why can't bios just keep using old settings? why it has to drop them every update?

I have saved settings from old bios to usb stick before updating setting

Guess what ? New bios can't read settings saved by different bios version.
why I have to spend my time and set up bios manually after every update ? it's not easy and takes time!

Asus, why your firmware developers just can't write the firmware update in a proper way, why they can't make saved settings (in cmo file)a universal across all bios versions ?

just look at how firmware updates happen on macbooks, you never notice they happen and yet they happen, but on asus I have to dedicate about hour of my time for every bios update.

going back to 1009 bios (thanks for lettings us downgrade)
restoring bios settings from cmo file, everything freezes on reading file, WTH is going on?

disabled CSM (as i always do to make this mobo read uefi bios from videocard) and selected my native language in bios settings. reboot. great, now cmo file can be read without freezes, I wont have to spend time recovering bios settings.

Asus, why your firmware is so bad? it's worst bios software I have ever had to deal with!
5 REPLIES 5

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
Yep. the last bios change a lot of how cpu works. The downside going back, some errors can occurs using new drivers I test these already, many times. In fact on z370 is worst, since some programs on installation does not recognize application (it display wrong windows version).

And yes i did have to remake the bios for new parameters, plus some odd stuff that i can not explain, like AVX instruction active when windows is doing normal basic task. DO not ask, still very newbee on some areas, but i get good making oc on my board.

The new bios for the my hero ix z270, at least with me, is stable i mean very. I am running a 7700k 5.0 1.334v using a asetek 240 cooler. that is impressive.

CSM do more that read GPU information. It use the internal GPU driver that is UEFI (my strix 1080 A8G. just make sure... activate the option, UEFI only on the bios. so get stable. Aside that, all windows updates, all new drivers. etc.

These is are hard times for BIOS, drivers and Intel. Aside that most users, these react on different way. I am sure that we are next on the new updates, since skylake was 2 weeks ago. As far my understanding and be a new guy on some areas that i help, z270 1209 is stable. BTW never run old bios config on new one. there are always changes that we do not know that makes ours board better. so some adjustment is needed.
Learn, Play Enjoy!

Chino
Level 15
perunosx wrote:

Every bios update drops setting to defaults, forgets old saved presets.
Why can't bios just keep using old settings? why it has to drop them every update?

Because a lot of changes happen behind the scenes from BIOPS to BIOS. Just write your settings down on a normal piece of paper when updating the BIOS.

Chino wrote:
Because a lot of changes happen behind the scenes from BIOPS to BIOS. Just write your settings down on a normal piece of paper when updating the BIOS.

Ditto on this ...

Chino wrote:

what year is it now ? 1986 ?

asus updater seem to overwrite nvram storage of variable with defaultvalues every update, this is so lame!
just don't touch nvramvars on update, it is so easy.
Asus, please don't overwrite this ffs completely on eery update, please keep our old nvram vars on update. it's really that wasy, just do it

smart (partial) update of volume starting at 280800h is really a way to go, instead of dumb complete overwrite of it with default values.
I'm really sure things like fan settings, common bios settings, everything that is not related to OverClock could be saved between update.

perunosx wrote:
what year is it now ? 1986 ?

asus updater seem to overwrite nvram storage of variable with defaultvalues every update, this is so lame!
just don't touch nvramvars on update, it is so easy.
Asus, please don't overwrite this ffs completely on eery update, please keep our old nvram vars on update. it's really that wasy, just do it

smart (partial) update of volume starting at 280800h is really a way to go, instead of dumb complete overwrite of it with default values.
I'm really sure things like fan settings, common bios settings, everything that is not related to OverClock could be saved between update.

Even if you were able to keep your settings from a previous BIOS, there is no 100% guarantee that they will work especially with CPU or memory overclocks.