cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating my BIOS throu the USB BIOS Flshback gone bad... Please help!!!

Gallros
Level 8
hey, so... i had a perfecly working computer and i decided.. hey.. lets make it even better and upgrade to the latest BIOS... V.0407

so i downloaded the BIOS from the driver page and i got this file "PRIME-X399-A-ASUS-0407.CAP"

a guide told me to:

To use USB BIOS Flashback:
1.Insert a USB storage device to the USB Flashback port.
2.Visit https://www.asus.com/support/ and download the latest BIOS version for thismotherboard.
3.Rename the file as PX399A.CAP, then copy it to your USB storage device.
4.Shut down your computer.
5.Press the BIOS Flashback button for three seconds until the Flashback LED blinksthree times, indicating that the BIOS Flashback function is enabled.
6.Wait until the light goes out, indicating that the BIOS updating process is completed.

sooo... i did all that.. and when i was starting my computer thinking about sunshine and rainbows.. i got a 0d error message from the led indicator... and the only thing i get now is a ASUS screen that i can press DEL or F2 to get in to BIOS menue...

please help me /cry

My system :

ASUS PRIME X399-A - ATX / X399

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X - 16C/32T, 3,4GHz, 40MB cache, 180W

GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB

if you need any more info let me know!

thanks in advance!
5 REPLIES 5

gupsterg
Level 13
I'd revert to UEFI 0403, few of the owners on OCN had issues with 0407 for post. If you see ASUS screen and are in UEFI screen, then flash went right IMO.

No 5 of process for me on ASUS C6H/ZE is like this:-

5. Press the BIOS Flashback button for three seconds until the Flashback LED blinks three times, indicating that the BIOS Flashback function is enabled. If the LED remains constantly on the BIOS file was not found. If the LED continues to flashe rapidly then BIOS file was found and is being flashed.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

hey and thanks for your answer.

i've read that aswell so i downloaded the 0403 and did the same thing... but same thing happens... i cant get throu to windows... stops me at the ASUS screen....

right now i'm at the stage that i would like to reset everything with my motherboard disc.. but since i dont have a dvd driver i am currently moving everything on the disc to a USB drive... i have no idea if it will work but i am kinda out of options at the moment =/

gupsterg
Level 13
When you say:-

"i cant get throu to windows... stops me at the ASUS screen...."

This to me means UEFI flashed and is working, OS is loading and you are at the screen where W10 would be displaying OEM Logo and the "ring of activity" prior to logon screen. If you post 3x, doesn't OS then go into repair mode/advanced options?

When you use Flashback it is like using a external flash tool on BIOS chip, even if power failed whilst process was occurring you can rerun flashback and recover board. When flashback occurs all settings, etc are wiped, it is clean slate.

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger

Da Music video

Gallros
Level 8
My friend thinks that it's the secure boot that are keeping me out from Windows due that BIOS changed... and since i cant get in to windows i cant turn secure boot off... and when i fint the option in BIOS it sais Enable but i cant disable it... is here any way to change it if i cant get in to windows?

Right now we're pretty sure that the Bios update is OK since i even got the 0403 version back.
but it's like i just cant get in to windows... we've also tried to download a windows repair and booted from USB... but that didnt work either.. i got the windows icon up on the screen before the computer just restarted and i had to start all over again.

gupsterg
Level 13
If Secure Boot was issue you would not get to OS loading boot screen, you would be stuck at UEFI with a message stating Secure Boot violation had occurred.

Anyhow when in UEFI, Boot page, Secure Boot you will have this by default:-

When it states PK Unloaded some what Secure Boot enabled is non issue. Anyhow to disable fully clear the PK keys, the UEFI will contain defaults version if you need to re-install/re-enable.

Then when you go back you will see this:-

Da Music video