cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VS video bios update to fix black screens, crashes, block artifacts? - solved?

Paolomania
Level 7
Hi, I was wondering if there is a way to update the video BIOS on the GL502VS. The support page has info for downloading the updated system BIOS, but from what I understand, video BIOS updates on 1070s with micron memory might also be important, but I cannot find any place to get the video BIOS.
8 REPLIES 8

Paolomania
Level 7
The reason I ask is because I've been having issues that are consistent with the old 1070 micro memory issues (black screens, crashes, block artifacts) and indeed my GL502VS has a 1070 with micron memory and GPU BIOS 86.04.42.00.07 (which seems to be a late 2016 BIOS that may be pre-micron patch).

Update: It looks like a lot of my stability issues were being caused by the windows gamebar DVR, which was enabled by default in Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update. After disabling this setting, most of the above instability has gone away. To disable in Windows 10 go to Settings->Gaming->Gamebar and disable "Record game clips, screenshots and broadcast using Game bar".

If you have a GL502VS with gaming stability issues give it a try.

A final update. I finally got the last bit of stability by underclocking the GPU and capping temperature to 70C. It seems like a combination of the inefficient micron RAM and gpu boost 3.0 kicking in to auto upclock the GPU is what causes some of the crashes. Would love a vBIOS update to fix, but until then, underclock and cap your temperature.

Still seeing intermittent crash/reboot (mostly in Blizzard games), but the frequency is much lower.

Finally resolved this by downgrading my nNivida drivers to 368.91 (used DDU to uninstall all GeForce Drivers/Experience then ran the 368.91 installer provided by ASUS).

Paolomania wrote:
Finally resolved this by downgrading my nNivida drivers to 368.91 (used DDU to uninstall all GeForce Drivers/Experience then ran the 368.91 installer provided by ASUS).

Hi Paolomania!
While playing "heavy" games on my laptop while the power adapter is plugged in, the games turn off suddenly after few seconds the "real action" has started for example after pressing READY button won't turn on unless the power supply is plugged in, once powered on and Windows logo appears, I can pull out the plug and start up the laptop on battery only, when Windows is loaded, it shows that there is plenty battery left (98%-100%).

Trying to get to the driver page from the ROG site seems to take you nowhere, but if you go from the main asus.com to: Support->Consumer->Laptops->(enter product link "Republic of Gamers" model "ROG GL502VS")->click on "Driver & Tools"->enter model & OS, then it should give you download links. The driver is under the "VGA" section.

I believe there are several things causing stability issues with the GL502VS:
1. Frequent crashes in games with the newer nVidia drivers (typically causing glitches and hard crashes).
2. Stability issues with the micron VRAM due to heat/power (typically causing "rendering device lost" errors).
3. Wonky video overlay software that everyone in the world tries to install simultaneously (e.g. Windows stealthily installing XBOX Gaming overlay, the ROG flavor overlay, the steam overlay, discord overlay, nVidia experience overlay - ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!)

There are various solutions to these floating around the forum depending on your taste for configuring and running OS, tweak programs, or drill holes in your laptop. I have chosen the following because they allow for maximum lazy:

1. Uninstall nVidia drivers and nVidia Experience with DDU. Install the older nVidia drivers off the ASUS support site. Some drivers from like mid 2017 might work but I don't feel like researching every possible driver for compatibility with this laptop.

2. Limit max power / heat of the laptop. I do this via the Windows Power Plan -> Advanced Settings -> Processor Power Management -> Maximum processor state -> 99%, which prevents the CPU from getting boosted into a higher power/heat mode. As this laptop has power and heat issues in general I believe that the CPU peak heat and power consumption actually bleeds over into affecting the stability of the VRAM. This technique is simple and does not require extra software, but if you are still having "rendering device lost" issues after this you can also fool around with GPUTweak heat limits or power curves if you are so inclined, or proceed to drill holes in your laptop for extra ventilation.

1 & 2 address most stability issues for me, but for extra benefit:

3. Remove or disable all overlay software. nVidia GeForce Experience is removed (also to prevent updating the drivers), Windows gaming overlay removed, ROG overlay disabled, Steam overlay disabled, etc.)

Another update: For fun I decided to try a 2017 driver with a good reputation. I've been using the 378.92 nvidia driver and it has been stable on my GL502VS and runs a bit cooler than the 368.91 driver.