cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Laptop - Reinstall Win10 from Media Creation Tool, Will it retain Activation?

HyeVltg3
Level 7
Just purchased a used Asus laptop which I can clearly see is activated with an OEM key (no sticker on the bottom but Activated with "Digital License")

If I perform a fresh install of Windows 10 (not "Reset PC") will it retain this License or is that gone forever?

Could I use one of the various tools that "Show Key" and use this key when reinstalling Windows 10?
4 REPLIES 4

haihane
Level 13
on the safer side, you should make sure it's the same windows edition. for example:
if your laptop came with Windows 10 Home (most laptops come with this), then you go and download windows 10 x64 pro (example); when you try to activate it, don't be surprised if the activation fails.

on windows 7 and windows 8.1, i still used keyfinder tool (make sure the keyfinder is clean, plenty warez out there that claim to have this functionality but instead also installs some crap alongside),

nowdays however, i just get the ISO, rufus it into a usb and overwrite everything, and windows activates itself, everytime without any hitch.
it should work the same for newly purchased brand new laptop with Legit OS license.

if you're unsure however, you can instead perform a reset: Start -> Settings -> Recovery -> Reset this PC -> Remove everything.
this is what i first did with my newly purchased laptop(s) to nuke all bloatwares that came with the laptop.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

haihane wrote:
if you're unsure however, you can instead perform a reset: Start -> Settings -> Recovery -> Reset this PC -> Remove everything.
this is what i first did with my newly purchased laptop(s) to nuke all bloatwares that came with the laptop.

I thought the Reset PC would just "factory reset" like back in the day, so would just reinstall the bloatware?! would have done this already, I thought it was just the new "factory reset"

HyeVltg3 wrote:
I thought the Reset PC would just "factory reset" like back in the day, so would just reinstall the bloatware?! would have done this already, I thought it was just the new "factory reset"

not on windows 10 laptop. i bought one (roughly) half a year ago, i factory resetted it right at the shop where i purchased it, with the shop-boss watching.
bloatware gone gone.

though i have to finish it up with some drivers install after taking the thing home.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

ottoyu34
Level 9
The key usually is embedded in the hardware and as long as you install the same version of w10 as before. it should be fine.