cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G74 sx --w10

NoukNouk
Level 7
Hi ROGers!

Quick question for you. I have an old asus g74 sx laptop, it still works pretty good on w7. I am in the process to clean it a bit (add more ram, change the defective connector, new battery, charger, etc. The HDD is still perfect, tested it with crystal diskinfo.

I thought it might be an idea to install w10 family edition on it. I know g74 sx were working great with the first w10 version, 1511, I read it on some forums, but not sure about the latest, 1709??? Maybe there are some incompatibilites with drivers, I have no clue. So before I pay some $$$ for a w10 licence, better to ask!

I'm not gaming anymore, so it will be used to browse internet, maybe some facebook games here and there, and mainly doing some testing about random stuff.

Your advice is much appreciated! thanks!

Have a nice day 🙂
16 REPLIES 16

A_Guy
Level 9
NoukNouk wrote:
Hi ROGers!

Quick question for you. I have an old asus g74 sx laptop, it still works pretty good on w7. I am in the process to clean it a bit (add more ram, change the defective connector, new battery, charger, etc. The HDD is still perfect, tested it with crystal diskinfo.

I thought it might be an idea to install w10 family edition on it. I know g74 sx were working great with the first w10 version, 1511, I read it on some forums, but not sure about the latest, 1709??? Maybe there are some incompatibilites with drivers, I have no clue. So before I pay some $$$ for a w10 licence, better to ask!

I'm not gaming anymore, so it will be used to browse internet, maybe some facebook games here and there, and mainly doing some testing about random stuff.

Your advice is much appreciated! thanks!

Have a nice day 🙂

I'm running in the fast ring for updates from Microsoft and I have build 1803. It works like a champ.

GA502IV, AMD Ryzen 7 4800HS 2.9GHz with Radeon Graphics
16GB DDR3 RAM
Boot Drive: SSD NVMe PC SN530 (1 TB)
Data Drive: WD BLACK SN750 NVMe SSD (1 TB)
GPU NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6.0 GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz (It just won't die!)
12GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
Boot Drive: Samsung 860 EVO (1 TB)
Data Drive: Samsung 850 EVO (500 GB)
GTX560M 3GB DDR5
BIOS 203
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

NoukNouk
Level 7
Hi Asus Guy! *Really, version 1803 works well? * No drivers issues? *A friend of mine installed w10, 1709 and the usb 3 port isn't working anymore, no big deal, I don't really need, but I was curious if it was a driver issue, eventually.*

I defered the update for a while, just spent 300$ to fix that computer, it runs perfectly well in 1709 version. I've seen so many horror stories about the 1803 version!!!

I kept my *old but perfectly good HDD with w7 just in case!

Thanks for your comment! *That is pretty cool. *I hesitated a lot to spent money to add ram, buy w10 licence on a 7 years computer... But like yours, for now, it works like a champ!

A_Guy
Level 9
Today I'm on "Build 17677.rs_prerelease.180520-0940" and I am having a small issue with my wireless keyboard (MS) and mouse (Logitech) that feels like low battery but neither is telling me they are low and I know the mouse batteries are recently replaced. I got this version a few days ago.

I'm also getting a green rectangle on some (not all) YouTube videos. I'm now running NVidia version 391.35 but still getting some green. This is also new since the latest MS update.

But I'm still gaming (PvE, not PvP) happily.

16GB DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

12GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5
BIOS 203
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Hi Asus Guy! so, are your issues resolved since your last reply? I defered the 1803 update for 2 months, and wait for all feedback I can find before I upgrade! My old rog runs perfectly fine in 1709, and I'm seeing many issues with 1803 and many device, new, old. All brands. It's a bit scary. I have 3 different computer on w10 waiting to be updated. An almost brand new MSI g72 vr, and a build gamer desktop. All paused for now.

Not sure I have the energy to invest in repairing computers right now! windows 10 is a real pain for many!

Great day all!

A_Guy
Level 9
Yup, issues resolved. the text lagging was caused when I turned on the system wide spell check/suggestions. I left the spell check on but turned off the suggestions. Tthe lag went away immediately. I think my laptop just isn't fast enough for how they have implemented that feature.
The YouTube issues went away. Might have been an NVidia update. For video drivers I'm on 391.35

I'm on "Build 17692.rs_prerelease.180600-1317" now

But if your system runs well as is and you have a good anti-virus system there maybe no compelling reason to update.

16GB DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

12GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5
BIOS 203
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

NoukNouk
Level 7
Thanks! so I assume 391.35 driver will be OK for the 560m? A friend of mine did a clean install of w10 1709, so I don't have any asus softwares, Don't need any, unless you tell me I absolutely need something. I don't use that laptop to play anymore, only fb games, internet browsing. But the 1803 update scares me to death!

Thanks so much for your recommendations. I really appreciate. As I bought a new battery, added ram (now 16 GB), repaired the connector, I want to run that ROG to the extreme limit LOL It is still a good beast! But I don't like w10. Still have the HDD with w7, it might be useful, who knows?

NoukNouk
Level 7
Hi guys!

i finally updated today version 1803, installation is almost finished. I cross my fingers! *By the way, anyone upgraded to 1809 already? * Thanks to w10 pro with the defer update option. *Very convenient! *

Gps3dx
Level 12
I've updated to 1809.
please read remarks in my windows installation guide ( sticky thread ), the last post, links in my sig.

also although my upgrade from 1803 to 1809 was OK, i.e no files were deleted... MS STOPPED the deployment of 1809 to the general mass due to many complaints of files that were deleted during upgrade.
BUT, if you install it from scratch, there shouldn't be any issue, IMHO.
lastly, I advise ppl to save any IMPORTANT DATA, NOT ON THE HDD/SSD that contains the OS, but instead use a PHYSICAL SEPARATE ONE.
also, change the default windows folder like "my documents" etc accordingly ( i.e make such folder on that 2nd "data containing" HDD ).

Oh, and another thing...
YOU DON'T NEED TO PAY EVEN 1$ to get win10 on a win7 genuine device !
YOU CAN STILL UPGRADE THE LICENSE FOR FREE !
Please read my guide about windows installation UEFI method inorder to understand how to do that license upgrade together with the OS upgrade itself. ( see my sig for link to the guide ).
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

NoukNouk
Level 7
Thanks for your comment GPS3DX. Yes, I read about the massive issues with deleted datas. It sucks. I feel bad for those who had that 'glitch' *The 1803 install was long but everything is fine. I defered for many days, *so MS will have the time to fix issues! *I have absolutely no important datas on that computer. My main computers are i-mac and macbook pro. I have external drives for back up. *I bought w10 because I was curious, and that laptop refuses to die. Licences are cheap on amazon LOL I

I'm glad you had no issues. So it won't be the last update for my old ROG!!! * It was bought in 2012, so *it begins to be old!

More feedbacks are expected! Thanks! Have a nice day all!*