Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hi there!

I need your advice about the update KB4100347 I run version 1803, pro. I was proposed that update today. I downloaded and installed it, but before the reboot, I checked to see about it. When I saw it was about microcode, I desinstalled it before the reboot. Apparently, it can be no good for some!

So my question, is this update can mess up my computer? It runs perfectly fine for now.

Thanks for your help!

ROG Enthusiast Array

This is an update related to the Spectre hack. I've heard it may slow your performance. The Spectre hack gets into the speculative execution pipe to get data it should not - the fix disables some of the pipelining so your code is safer, but slower. My explanation is not 100% accurate, because technical things, but it's close enough.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...windows-server

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectr...vulnerability)

G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
    12GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
    Boot Drive: Samsung 860 EVO (1 TB)
    Data Drive: Samsung 850 EVO (500 GB)
    GTX560M 3GB DDR5
    BIOS 203
    Windows 10 64bit

Sorry for the late late reply! well, apparently another microcode update was released recently, did both and everything seems fine. Startup isn't slower, considering that ROG is 8 years old, I can say it runs pretty good! Thanks again!

Hi there! I upgraded last week to 1809 version. It was quick, everything seems perfect. No lost data, GC and network are OK. That old ROG wants to live more! 8 years and still running very good! It worths every cent of the price it was paid! The only complain I might say, I lost the usb 3 port. I did everything, it is not working. No big deal.

1809 version brings nice stuff. So far so good!

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array Gps3dx PC Specs
    Gps3dx PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Current: G751JT | Retired: G55VW, G51JX
    MotherboardInc M.2 slot
    Storage #1Samsungs EVO 850 128GB
    Storage #21TB HGST Travelstar 7K1000 (HTS721010A9E630)
    CPU CoolerMother Nature & Thermodynamics laws
    Mouse Logitech MX 518
    Headset/Speakers Logitech T6060
    OS Cleaned installed Windows 10 HOME x64
    Accessory #1 Leap Motion

Quote Originally Posted by NoukNouk View Post
    I lost the usb 3 port. I did everything, it is not working. No big deal.
    Do you mean due to the upgrade you "lost" them ? or their HW is broken ?
    try to uninstall any related driver in the device manager then scan changes to let windows reinstall the drivers again ( a reboot might be necessary after uninstall so work with internal keyboard & mouse ).

Quote Originally Posted by Gps3dx View Post
    Do you mean due to the upgrade you "lost" them ? or their HW is broken ?
    try to uninstall any related driver in the device manager then scan changes to let windows reinstall the drivers again ( a reboot might be necessary after uninstall so work with internal keyboard & mouse ).

-----
    No. Everything was perfect. The point is, when 1809 was released at first, many got their files disappeared. MS paused the upgrade to investigate, it was re-released a month later or so. I waited a bit more, and installed it.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array Gps3dx PC Specs
    Gps3dx PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Current: G751JT | Retired: G55VW, G51JX
    MotherboardInc M.2 slot
    Storage #1Samsungs EVO 850 128GB
    Storage #21TB HGST Travelstar 7K1000 (HTS721010A9E630)
    CPU CoolerMother Nature & Thermodynamics laws
    Mouse Logitech MX 518
    Headset/Speakers Logitech T6060
    OS Cleaned installed Windows 10 HOME x64
    Accessory #1 Leap Motion

Quote Originally Posted by NoukNouk View Post
    -----
    No. Everything was perfect. The point is, when 1809 was released at first, many got their files disappeared. MS paused the upgrade to investigate, it was re-released a month later or so. I waited a bit more, and installed it.
    that issue you're talking about was related to file missing in the special folders like "downloads", "documents" etc, only if the user retain their default path configuration, i.e under c:\users\USERNAME.
    I myself upgrade to 1809 with that buggy release and did NOT suffer from that issue since I always change the default path of these folders.

Anywho - sometimes when you upgrade win10 main build ( e.i from 1803 to 1809 ) some drivers are misbehaving and do need to be reinstalled.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2