cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Maximus X Hero Noise issue

Ashus
Level 7
Hi everyone,

First off, would like to thank everyone in the forums for using their time in helping others! Really appreciate people going out of their way to try and help here. I've been lurking here since 2015 but this is my very first post.

Been trying to find a post similar to my problem around the forums but no luck. I've been experiencing a little different type of noise than others.

I bought the motherboard more than a month ago, but the sounds started 10 days ago. What i'm experiencing is that I can hear the electrical components 'beeping' or emitting some kind of electrical buzzes. Really hard to explain as others have posted 'coil whine' noise, and that noises I heard isn't the same as mine.

The noise comes around the processor area of the motherboard near the rams and above the GPU. I've been trying to isolate it as much as I can.

I recorded it with my phone and uploaded it to youtube here:

https://youtu.be/kvc0TP-AMKA

The noise becomes clearer at 10 second time in the vid.

When I start my pc up, it doesn't produce the noise, once I go into my programs/games etc.. I start to notice the sound more and more, and becomes more clearer.

Maybe I'm overreacting to something normal, I'm having one of those high sensitive irritating hearing, it's just that I want to be assured that its working and that nothing is getting damaged.

Reason i'm being over cautious is because I just lost my old x99 deluxe motherboard alongside my intel 5960x processor (processor overheated while the motherboard goes into a loop bios restart and shutting).

TL;DR:

Hearing sounds emitted near or around the processor area of the motherboard, above the GPU. The sound becomes more clearer the longer the PC is in use. Is the noise normal or should I start thinking of a replacement? It's starting to become annoying when my PC is in idle state on desktop.

My Specs:

- Motherboard: Asus Maximus X Hero edition (non wi-fi)
- Processor: Intel 8700k default settings, stock speeds.
- CPU Cooler: AiO Kraken x62
- Graphics card: Asus strix 1080 ti
- Rams: Corsair vengeance 32gb (4x8gb) 2666Mhz
- Power Supply: Corsair HX 750w (2017 model) 80+ Platinum
- Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass
- SSD: Corsair Force LX 256gb (for OS)
- HDD: Seagate 3TB 7200rpm
- 2x Aer NZXT RGB case fans with Hue+ and grid+ hub

Sidenote: I did order 2 new SSDs (500gb samsung 860 evo for OS, and 2TB samsung 860 evo for gaming collection) to replace my old storage (I took them from my old rig)

I also bought new ram sticks:
G.skill trident z RGB 16gb (2x8gb) 3200Mhz

As maybe my old rams from my old rig are causing it.

Also one of my case fans (Aer nzxt fan) makes a vibration sound whenever the radiator fans increase in rpm. But that's another case as I might just replace it. Thought maybe it might be related to the use of power.
8 REPLIES 8

Raja
Level 13
Difficult to make out, but the chirping sounds like coil whine. Nothing to be worried about.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Difficult to make, but the chirping sounds like coil whine. Nothing to be worried about.

Thanks for the reply Raja,

It does have that annoying buzz and its very much audible.

With that aside, does the power supply make the motherboard produce coil whine? I'm afraid if the fault is within the PSU as I don't want it to damage my components, and whether or not it would have an affect. Again I just bought all my parts brand new as I can easily exchange the PSU.

But other than that, if its normal for these sounds/noises to occur, I can live with that.

Ashus wrote:
It does have that annoying buzz and its very much audible.
You can change VRM Switching Frequency in DIGI+. Some users have written that this helps. My board also sometimes makes such sounds.

Level 7
Ashus wrote:
Hi everyone,

First off, would like to thank everyone in the forums for using their time in helping others! Really appreciate people going out of their way to try and help here. I've been lurking here since 2015 but this is my very first post.

Been trying to find a post similar to my problem around the forums but no luck. I've been experiencing a little different type of noise than others.

I bought the motherboard more than a month ago, but the sounds started 10 days ago. What i'm experiencing is that I can hear the electrical components 'beeping' or emitting some kind of electrical buzzes. Really hard to explain as others have posted 'coil whine' noise, and that noises I heard isn't the same as mine.

The noise comes around the processor area of the motherboard near the rams and above the GPU. I've been trying to isolate it as much as I can.

I recorded it with my phone and uploaded it to youtube here:

https://youtu.be/kvc0TP-AMKA

The noise becomes clearer at 10 second time in the vid.

When I start my pc up, it doesn't produce the noise, once I go into my programs/games etc.. I start to notice the sound more and more, and becomes more clearer.

Maybe I'm overreacting to something normal, I'm having one of those high sensitive irritating hearing, it's just that I want to be assured that its working and that nothing is getting damaged.

Reason i'm being over cautious is because I just lost my old x99 deluxe motherboard alongside my intel 5960x processor (processor overheated while the motherboard goes into a loop bios restart and shutting).

TL;DR:

Hearing sounds emitted near or around the processor area of the motherboard, above the GPU. The sound becomes more clearer the longer the PC is in use. Is the noise normal or should I start thinking of a replacement? It's starting to become annoying when my PC is in idle state on desktop.

My Specs:

- Motherboard: Asus Maximus X Hero edition (non wi-fi)
- Processor: Intel 8700k default settings, stock speeds.
- CPU Cooler: AiO Kraken x62
- Graphics card: Asus strix 1080 ti
- Rams: Corsair vengeance 32gb (4x8gb) 2666Mhz
- Power Supply: Corsair HX 750w (2017 model) 80+ Platinum
- Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass
- SSD: Corsair Force LX 256gb (for OS)
- HDD: Seagate 3TB 7200rpm
- 2x Aer NZXT RGB case fans with Hue+ and grid+ hub

Sidenote: I did order 2 new SSDs (500gb samsung 860 evo for OS, and 2TB samsung 860 evo for gaming collection) to replace my old storage (I took them from my old rig)

I also bought new ram sticks:
G.skill trident z RGB 16gb (2x8gb) 3200Mhz

As maybe my old rams from my old rig are causing it.

Also one of my case fans (Aer nzxt fan) makes a vibration sound whenever the radiator fans increase in rpm. But that's another case as I might just replace it. Thought maybe it might be related to the use of power.

I have the same exact problem as you. did you fix this, if yes, can you please advise your solution?
Thanks very much.

Delta9K
Level 9
All the components together will make up the "noises" that are heard. Sounds are bouncing around inside of cases like bullets inside a steel drum, making it difficult to actually isolate the source or sources.

In your soundbite vid there is a lot of ambient noise (unavoidable when trying to record from inside a running system) making it a little difficult to isolate but, the most prominent noise where you pointed out sounds like coil whine potentially from the GPU. If it is the GPU you could try to exaggerate the noise to see if it is at least one source. Load up Unigen Heaven (anything really that puts a load on the GPU) and run through the benchmark and listen for increased noise levels. Stop the benchmark exit from Unigen completely see if it decreases. Maybe repeat a couple of times to see if indeed you can "control" the noise. If it is coming and going by starting and stopping a hefty load on the GPU you could chalk that up to at least the GPU being one source. With that said, coil whine is something that happens. It's annoying as all get out, how much it affects one individual over another is relative to the individual and their hearing sensitivity. It doesn't necessarily mean you have a bad component or that Brand X vs Brand Y parts are junk. Coil whine, it's root causes and potential fixes is a topic many, many threads deep in almost any forum. So, there are a ton of viewpoints and I am not endorsing any one over the other.

Could be that in addition it is a fan or fans or even the AIO pump that are also contributing noise. You could try varying speeds of fans even disabling them and running only one at a time etc. to see if it is a fan/s contributing noises. You can do the same with the AIO Don't turn off the pump!!! but, rather you can increase and decrease the pump speed and listen to see if that is contributing. AIO pumps can/do make noise too. They are definitely not silent.

TL/DR
From my vantage point the noise/s did not seem outrageous or raise any red flags - Meaning I doubt that there is any eminent critical failure looming.
Other systems in addition to rig in the profile specs:
Aorus Master x570, 3950X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, Sabrent 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, 2080 Super, HX1200i, Celsius S36, Define S2, pg348q
Aorus Master x570, 3900X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, 5700XT, HX1000i, H150i Pro, Obsidian 500D, LG32GK650F-B
MEG x570 Unify, 3800X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, GTX1080Ti, SSR-850PD, Celsius S36, Define R6, u3415w

I have the same sound on my Hero x wifi . like a high frequency chirping...removed the graphics card and used the intel graphics, still the same noise. Tried a network adapter card incase it was coming from the onboard but still the sound persists. Could it be the VRM's?

Raja
Level 13
It's likely interaction between the power supply and the onboard VRM components. A crude way of minimizing it is to turn off the power saving features, because it usually occurs when there are rapid changes in current. Nothing else you can do about it.

MoKiChU
Level 40
Hi

Most of the time, the Coil Whine comes from the PSU, I advise you to contact the Corsair support for an RMA. I had the same worries at the beginning of the year > RMA > Corsair sent me the same new PSU and I sent them the defective PSU > No more Coil Whine.