cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gl703vm fan problems

SaintStefan
Level 7
I bought the ASUS GL703VM DB74 laptop recently with the GTX 1060 graphics card, and I have undervolted both the CPU and GPU and the fans now run at a bearable speed but my problem is that every 30 seconds or so the fan ramps up reeeeally fast and then drops down to normal speed. So if anyone can help me with this problem it would be greatly appreciated
4 REPLIES 4

DeltaActual
Level 12
There is couple of threads about it already (use search) and apparently,Asus is aware of it, and maybe (just maybe) working on a fix. Meantime: use notebook stand to make sure there is a constant airflow to the fans and clean it with compressed air *to see if it helps. After all - it’s a thin notebook , don’t expect it to run stone cold and silent.
G614JV

Mublur
Level 7
@SaintStefan the ramping fans is a thing that has existed in laptops forever. My former CAD laptop had this issue, so does my current employer HP laptop and my new GL703GS. The best fan solution i've ever had was with my old G751JY laptop which has a constant low hum and a gentle fan ramp.

I'm not really expecting ASUS to release any sort of a fix for this, it's a design feature. the only thing i hope is that we would have the ability to permanently undervolt CPU and GPU in bios instead of having to rely on extra software running constantly in the background. GL703GS is almost half the thickness of G751JY and thus has to push more rpm to move the same amount of air.

I think after the quiet years of my 751, it's time to move back to using more headphones....

Hi. Since last week (it might be related to win10 update) my fan is always ON. In gaming center I can only edit Auto/Boost....when I select boost, then I can hear rpm increase, so it somehow communicate.
What I already tried:
-I opened and cleaned everything (it was not messy, but just in case)
-SpeedFan - doesn't influence fans
- undervoltage CPU - no effect
- reinstall of drivers

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Mublur wrote:
@SaintStefan the ramping fans is a thing that has existed in laptops forever. My former CAD laptop had this issue, so does my current employer HP laptop and my new GL703GS. The best fan solution i've ever had was with my old G751JY laptop which has a constant low hum and a gentle fan ramp.

I'm not really expecting ASUS to release any sort of a fix for this, it's a design feature. the only thing i hope is that we would have the ability to permanently undervolt CPU and GPU in bios instead of having to rely on extra software running constantly in the background. GL703GS is almost half the thickness of G751JY and thus has to push more rpm to move the same amount of air.

I think after the quiet years of my 751, it's time to move back to using more headphones....

I honestly don't know if this is a design feature. My GL702VMK never does anything of the sort. The fans spin up at temperature thresholds, yes, but do not at all while idle or simply browsing. I suspect there may be another issue.

StarJack