cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX second HDD Install

ssg_K
Level 7
Hello Everyone,
I purchased a great laptop over six years ago and I am happy to say that is still running like a champ. After finding the cable connector I am now running into an issue where I cannot physically do the install. I am able to pop up the bottom cover, exposing the RAM and HDD slots. Yet on the motherboard where the cable ribbon is to be inserted, the plug (bad name, just what I am calling it) does not appear to come up or down. I saw the few videos on the motherboard where two guys showed installing, such as this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWoQl4RaDtk (specially the last ten seconds of the video) however I appear to be missing something. I have attached a picture of my current system. I looked at the instruction manual which showed me some crummy IKEA picture-based instruction, which eluded to the plug being able to raise and lower which I cannot seem to do without more force than I fear the input will take.
8 REPLIES 8

Clintlgm
Level 14
I can't imagine that the G74 were that much different than the G75 and the G75 hard drives slide horizontally on to the connectors one in each bay. I have no idea what that picture is of but it doesn't' appear to be a hard drive connection.
If you'll look your manual you'll find on pages 62- 65 how to install drive 1 and drive 2 I found this on a Google for Asus G74 manual

Here is a video that is really clear on how the 2nd hard drive is installed.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
I can't imagine that the G74 were that much different than the G75 and the G75 hard drives slide horizontally on to the connectors one in each bay. I have no idea what that picture is of but it doesn't' appear to be a hard drive connection.
If you'll look your manual you'll find on pages 62- 65 how to install drive 1 and drive 2 I found this on a Google for Asus G74 manual

Here is a video that is really clear on how the 2nd hard drive is installed.

Same video I have been watching, however I noticed at the 2:08 mark, he lifted something inside the port, after inspecting my port, I do not have that plastic piece which is used to secure the ribbon cable to the mobo. I guess my next question would be what can I use to fit the ribbon cable in place that will not damage the port or worse the entire motherboard itself? I could very well fashion something from thin plastic and some shop scissors, but I am curious if I should.

ssg_K wrote:
Same video I have been watching, however I noticed at the 2:08 mark, he lifted something inside the port, after inspecting my port, I do not have that plastic piece which is used to secure the ribbon cable to the mobo. I guess my next question would be what can I use to fit the ribbon cable in place that will not damage the port or worse the entire motherboard itself? I could very well fashion something from thin plastic and some shop scissors, but I am curious if I should.

LOL that ribbon cable is nothing but some tape to give you a grip on the hard drive Caddy to slide it and the hard drive in and out of the SATA Socket. My guess is you don't have a 2nd drive caddy and you'll have to find one on eBay or simply tape the 2nd hard drive in place. If you'll follow the directions on how to remove the 1st hard drive then slide it back in and replace the screws you see how it work the 2nd bay is exactly the same.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
LOL that ribbon cable is nothing but some tape to give you a grip on the hard drive Caddy to slide it and the hard drive in and out of the SATA Socket. My guess is you don't have a 2nd drive caddy and you'll have to find one on eBay or simply tape the 2nd hard drive in place. If you'll follow the directions on how to remove the 1st hard drive then slide it back in and replace the screws you see how it work the 2nd bay is exactly the same.

I think you might be mistaken. *The ribbon cable adaptor is what allows a physical connection between the second HDD and the motherboard. *The 2-3 videos plus the manual all point to a port on the motherboard which also has a plunger plastic piece of sorts that lifts up and goes down. * It does so to properly secure the ribbon end of the cable adaptor, that goofy plastic piece has come off of my laptop. *Sadly I just wasted $100 buying the cable adaptor for nothing as the ribbon end will not properly seat into that port. *Strangely I will more than likely be searching for an enclosure to a 15mm in height HDD and just have to monster garage it out with some double sided Velcro*

ssg_K wrote:
I think you might be mistaken. *The ribbon cable adaptor is what allows a physical connection between the second HDD and the motherboard. *The 2-3 videos plus the manual all point to a port on the motherboard which also has a plunger plastic piece of sorts that lifts up and goes down. * It does so to properly secure the ribbon end of the cable adaptor, that goofy plastic piece has come off of my laptop. *Sadly I just wasted $100 buying the cable adaptor for nothing as the ribbon end will not properly seat into that port. *Strangely I will more than likely be searching for an enclosure to a 15mm in height HDD and just have to monster garage it out with some double sided Velcro*

I guess I had it all wrong looks the same as G75 but is not. the cable looks to be a simple connection if it won't mate up with the MB connector then you would need to solder a new one on or replace the motherboard. Good luck whatever you do this is way over my head.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Yeah it's a very small brush looking thing that locks in the hard drive ribbon to the board. From what I can tell from the picture, the lock still seems to on the board. Be careful it's pretty fragile. I mistakenly removed it from the connector and broke one of it's side legs. Don't remember if it unlocks by lifting up a bit or in the manner simiar to turning on the light switch.

Wish I had not taken it overseas, it took a three foot drop off a make shift desk when a mortar round hit nearby. *Guess that is a testament to its sturdiness. *I picked up the laptop in 2011, outside of an optical drive that doesn’t work, a couple of janky USB ports, and a battery that needs a do not resuscitate form attached it it still plays games smoothly and allows me to do random projects in/out of work. *Will definitely buy another one of these if they still make one in 19” or bigger.

C4RN1
Level 9
Reading these responses........nevermind

The G74 has a weird design, one of the sata connections is on the board, the other runs off a daughter board and that cable you posted a pic of.

Part numbers are:

14G124080160 for the HDD FCC
60-N56HD1000-D02 for the HDD Board

The connectors names are called zif (zero insertion force) connectors and you are missing the part that locks the cable into place. Your best bet it to find a used or broken g74 board (doesn't matter the exact part number, and then steal the sliding lock from it.

I edited this picture from an ebay listing to show you, sorry it's blurry.

The board on the listing is about $27 but you can probably offer them less. Broken boards aren't worth much at all.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mainboard-for-ASUS-G74SX-Intel-Rev-2-0-MV-4-94V-0-E89382-PARTS-FS/183043450...

Good luck, if you need help pm me and I will get a notification. I'm never on these forums anymore.