cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slower boot time when setting RAM speed - Maximus X Code

KaptainKarl
Level 7
Hello all..I am new here and pretty new to Asus motherboards, but not to PC building..Here's my dilemma, maybe someone can educate me 🙂

I just built a Maximus X Code system with an i7 8700k and 32gb of Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz RAM (additional specs in profile)..I am running the most current bios for this board (1003) and overall I have been happy with this build! So far, I have left everything in terms of speed, at default..But now I would like to overclock this puppy on a regular basis but found something odd..

At default speeds, I get a boot time of roughly 20-22 seconds to desktop (starting when I press the power button)...However, when I manually set my RAM, and only my RAM, to 3200mhz, I get a boot time of 30-32 seconds..Same thing happens if I set it to the XMP profile...I did manage to get a stable 5.0ghz overclock, but the boot time did not improve and stayed the same.

I would think that you would get a quicker boot time when overclocking, maybe not an extraordinary amount..perhaps a second or two..But certainly not a 10 second increase.

Thanks for any help!
7 REPLIES 7

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Timing these things is such a bizarre way of measuring the performance of a system, don't really understand why you'd think it makes sense to do so.

Overclocking isn't just you selecting a memory ratio, the motherboard needs to train the DRAM and pass a series of tests at POST to ensure the memory is stable. These routines likely do put a few seconds onto the boot time.

Stop measuring performance this way.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

jjxakergm
Level 7
KaptainKarl
This is the standard disease of all boards from Asus. for example, MSI does not suffer from this.
You will not do anything with it, it's a problem of the code in the BIOS all Asus LGA 1151...
A long start should be once, not on a permanent basis.

This exact thing is happening with my Maximus X Hero motherboard. I did not really notice it with 3200MHz ram, but when I swapped those to 3600MHz CL16 samsung b-die ram, the boot/post time increased dramatically. It probably takes 10 more seconds than before to even display the initial bios post screen and start thinking about booting from there.

Thank you for the responses..I know 10 seconds isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things, but we all are on the quest for the fastest "fill in the blank"...I will give the DRAM fast boot setting a try if I can find it 🙂

Raja
Level 13
Resume from suspend to memory can work wonders for folks that need to be back at the desktop in record time. One to bear in mind if you're earning a lot by the second 😉

Deepcuts
Level 10
Having some problems with the compatibility between my RAM and the motherboard, I noticed that BIOS will post slower when the motherboard will not like RAM timings.
I would say if you have slower boot times with higher RAM speed set in BIOS, most likely your system is not stable.
If your RAM in not in QVL, slim changes for a BIOS update that will fix it.
My RAM is in QVL, but that means nothing these days for Asus 🙂

Raja
Level 13
If the training is taking longer it is because the imc is attempting to retrain the dimms. You can make adjustments to help: SA, IO, sub-timings, dram boot voltage are the main contributors.