cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

perfCap Pwr on ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING

ianeecha
Level 7
Hi,

I noticed that recently the performance of my card is degraded and gpu-z shows perfCap Pwr intermitently. I set the TDP limit to 90% in nvidia inspector, but the card is capped at much lower values. Any idea what might be the cause?

Under normal conditions it would show around 225W usage in nvidia inspecter under full load. Currently it jumps between 80 and 180.

the card is overclocked by nvidia inspector to +550 memory. I already tried to turn it off and on. Can it be that one of the PSU cables is damaged?
5 REPLIES 5

ottoyu34
Level 9
Can you check what mhz the core runs at when you put load on the card?

I let it run for 1.5 hour logging with gpu-z monitor. Here are the results:

GPU Clk [MHz]
min 1480
avg 1587
max 1810

Voltage [mV]
min 800
avg 859.7
max 962.5

GPU Power Level [%]
min 28
avg 50
max 104

GPU Usage [%]
min 58
avg 92.5
max 100

Voltage [mV]
min 812.5
avg 870
max 1025

GPU Temp
min 62
avg 65
max 66

Fan Level [%]
min 36
avg 39
max 40

Fan Tach [rpm]
min 1320
avg 1418
max 1453

The 50th percentile of GPU Power Level [%] is 45, which is 1/2 of the setting (90%)
it looks like card works fine will all respects except the power cap. It simply caps at 45% instead of 90%.

I'm going to take it out and connect to another PC with different PSU cables. I think one of the cables is defect.

I performed multiple tests:

1. I took the VGA out and put it into another computer here it performs without any issues. This means the root cause is not the VGA
2. I updated GPU-Z, the perfCap no shows also vRel, sometimes both Pwr and vRel
3. I tried to replace CPU cables, the same issue remains
4. I connected the PSU cables to other PSU slots, the issue remains

it looks that for some reason the voltage goes too high and then the VGA caps the performance.

ianeecha wrote:
I performed multiple tests:

1. I took the VGA out and put it into another computer here it performs without any issues. This means the root cause is not the VGA

I actually went to check, thinking that somehow I missed the part where this card has VGA out 🙂
I am OK again now.