cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Maximus X Formula - Trident Z RGB | Crashes and freezes | Please I'm dying

HyperBuffle
Level 7
Hello everyone !

I'm writing this message here after a month of tests on my new build, I cannot find the way to fix my problem, that is killing me.

Last month I then built my new config, here are the important specs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mobo: ROG Maximus X Formula
CPU: Intel i7-8700k
RAM: Trident Z RGB DDR4-2400, 4x 8Go (F4-2400C15Q-32GTZR) --> XMP Profile able at 2400MHz, 15, 15, 15, 35 at 1.20V (You guess where is the problem)
GPU: ASUS NVidia GTX 980 Strix
PSU: Corsair AX860 (860W) 80 PLUS certificate (May be related ?)

I guess the storage isn't important but here we go, we never know:
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO Basic (1000GB, 2.5") [BOOT]
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda (3000GB, 3.5")
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the beginning of the problem ~Strange times~:

When I first built it, I was unable to put 4 sticks of RAM, I got Q-Code error 55 (Memory not installed).
Ok. Next day, I received the case, I put it all inside and after upgrading the BIOS, I was able to run it all with my 4 sticks after testing slots and rams, I was happy.

I put everything on, installed my games, began to play.

Few time after that, pc crashes.

Restarting, able to play a bit, then another crash.

I suspected the RAM as I was able to run the computer the day before with only 2 sticks, so I tried with only 2 sticks, was ok.

After some times I decided to go through tests and tweaks to be able to use my 32Go of RAM, I bought it so I want it.
End of chapter 1------

Chapter 2 ~A new hope~
I began to tweak it all, test XMP profile, manually set speeds and voltage for both 2 or 4 sticks of RAM, also trying default config.

I felt that I could be able to find a configuration that could be working, then I found a solution to get all my 4 sticks working at the same time.
Wonderful you'd say !
End of chapter 2 ------

Chapter 3 ~What the actual **** ?!~
But here is the thing:

This RAM is supposed to run at 2400MHz, 15, 15, 15, 35, 1.2V on XMP Profile.
The BIOS recognises it and offers me to put it all AUTO and it would be supposed to work fine this way. It dunno da wey tho

I did them work altogether at 2100 MHz during one week, gaming a lot, watching films overnight, almost always on, then it crashed again 4 days ago.
Then, impossible to boot with it. And even it was, that wouldn't fix my problem.

Same with 2 sticks if I run at 2400MHz, I'm gonna have crashes. But I'm not gonna have anything if I run 2 sticks at 2133 MHz.

4 Sticks at 2400MHz -> KO - No way, no boot
4 Sticks at 2133MHz -> OK, but dangerous in short term, don't boot after a crash
4 Sticks at 2100MHz -> OK but still, it's gonna crash one day for sure, don't boot after a crash
(4 Sticks at 18xxMHz -> Looks OK, boots etc..
2 Sticks at 2400 MHz -> KO - No way, boots all the time, crashes after 5 or 20 seconds
2 Sticks at 2133 MHz or less -> OK, it's not gonna crash, will boot everytime.

You understood that I want 4 sticks running at 2400MHz, no crashes no freezes nothing bad

I ran memTest on all 4 sticks altogether (I guess they were at 18xxMHz), didn't find errors (even if, I know, I should run it many times to be sure)

I tested all 4 slots, all 4 RAMS, they LOOK LIKE they have no problems.

I tried changing a bit the voltage to 1.25, 1.26, I didn't want to go after that.

I manually set voltage, clocks, frequency, modified many other options in the BIOS (that is at its last version)

Reset CMOS (still have to take the battery totally out of it and then test again)

No change if the CPU is overclocked or not.

I tested other RAM positions after crashes, removed and plugged it again to be sure it is well connected to the MoBo.

And went through many, many different Q-Code numbers:
55 Sometimes
22 Many times
01 and 03 at the moment
AC sometimes
49 too

and so on..

I want to say something, this RAM is said as compatible with the MoBo from the G.Skill website, but is not in the QVL list from ASUS.
But please.. I could barely think that this is the point.

I still have to check something though, I just thought about the BIOS recognising the 4 sticks independently.
It recognises it as F4-2400C15-8nn, maybe it doesn't take it as the correct ones, and the compatibility IS the problem.

But how could it not be compatible and still run the computer like totally normal for a time ?!

In my opinion, again, that's not the problem.

If you have any advice, ideas, links, anything, please help me.

I cannot let these 2 slots empty without these wonderful LEDs on, neither can I accept to have 16Go decorating my desktop.

Thank you for your help,
HyperBuffle
3 REPLIES 3

Menthol
Level 14
If this happens with all bios settings at default, Possibly the CPU is not seated correctly, heatsink unevenly, or over tightened causing some pins to not make good contact. I would remove heatsink and CPU, check CPU socket for bent or misaligned pins, carefully reinstall CPU and heatsink, don't over tighten heatsink

Menthol wrote:
If this happens with all bios settings at default, Possibly the CPU is not seated correctly, heatsink unevenly, or over tightened causing some pins to not make good contact. I would remove heatsink and CPU, check CPU socket for bent or misaligned pins, carefully reinstall CPU and heatsink, don't over tighten heatsink

It's not happening with default settings, more precisely if the 4 RAMS are set at 18xxMHz it's gonna work, when the frequency is much lower than it should. (At least, it worked for a while, didn't let these settings too long because I cannot morally accept that! hahaha)
But yeah the default config is more like 2133 than 18xx.

However I did not try that, that is something I will experiment soon, thank you for your answer.

I honestly doubt this is the problem though, as the computer would still run without problem with lower hardware settings.
I mean, wouldn't it crash anyway no matter the frequency/number or RAMs, if the CPU is the problem ?

Cheers,
HyperBuffle

Menthol wrote:

Ok, that was actually the right thing to do ! Reseated it and didn't tightened it as much as before, and everything seems to work perfectly right now..

I should have tried that way earlier, but as it is annoying to disassemble it all.. I didn't haha..

Anyway, thanks for the advice ! Have a nice week-end