cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GX501VS or GL502VS??

Spoonablehippo
Level 7
Hi,

Wondered if anyone can give me some advise on which laptop to get!

Either the GX501VS Zephyrus or the Strix GL502VS?

Both laptops have the same CPU, RAM, screen (120Hz IPS G-Sync) but the GL502VS has a full GTX1070, rather than the 1070-MAX-Q of the Zephyrus.

The reason I'm asking, is that I had a GL502VS, but returned it due to bad backlight bleed and thermal throttling, which caused uneven fps in games etc.

I was just about to order a replacement from a different company (long story, had trouble returning original + poor customer service), and see they have reduced the GX501 Zephyrus down to £1999! It will be £400 more expensive than the GL502.

My main questions are regarding thermals & performance of the 1070 MAX-Q in the Zephyrus.

If it runs noticeably cooler than the GL502, and doesn't thermal throttle than that's great!

My thinking is, even though the performance of the 1070 MAX-Q is worse, if it doesn't throttle down due to heat, than I may end up with a smoother gaming performance than with the GL502?? And how much worse of a performance drop are we talking? Can I OC it??

Also on my GL502 the CPU hit 93c during GTA V 😞

My other question is regarding the opening base of the Zephyrus. I've read a lot of reviews say its really flimsy and weak!!!?? Is this true?
I'd exclusively be using it on my lap, so don't want the base permanently flexing in lol

Sorry for all the questions and general rambling, any advice you could give would be much appreciated 🙂
3 REPLIES 3

VixusFoxy
Level 8
Spoonablehippo wrote:
Hi,

Wondered if anyone can give me some advise on which laptop to get!

Either the GX501VS Zephyrus or the Strix GL502VS?

Both laptops have the same CPU, RAM, screen (120Hz IPS G-Sync) but the GL502VS has a full GTX1070, rather than the 1070-MAX-Q of the Zephyrus.

The reason I'm asking, is that I had a GL502VS, but returned it due to bad backlight bleed and thermal throttling, which caused uneven fps in games etc.

I was just about to order a replacement from a different company (long story, had trouble returning original + poor customer service), and see they have reduced the GX501 Zephyrus down to £1999! It will be £400 more expensive than the GL502.

My main questions are regarding thermals & performance of the 1070 MAX-Q in the Zephyrus.

If it runs noticeably cooler than the GL502, and doesn't thermal throttle than that's great!

My thinking is, even though the performance of the 1070 MAX-Q is worse, if it doesn't throttle down due to heat, than I may end up with a smoother gaming performance than with the GL502?? And how much worse of a performance drop are we talking? Can I OC it??

Also on my GL502 the CPU hit 93c during GTA V 😞

My other question is regarding the opening base of the Zephyrus. I've read a lot of reviews say its really flimsy and weak!!!?? Is this true?
I'd exclusively be using it on my lap, so don't want the base permanently flexing in lol

Sorry for all the questions and general rambling, any advice you could give would be much appreciated 🙂

If you are going to go for the GX501, make sure you keep an eye on your battery capacity.
Several users are having issues with battery charge capacity and batteries blowing up / inflating.
It is a nice laptop otherwise, though. Just a shame about the battery.
The best part about ASUS ROG's $4000± Zephyrus GX501 laptops is undeniably, that
[they] [come] [with] [built-in airbags]
which take about 7 to 10 months to deploy. And can not be removed by the user, because that voids the warranty.
But that's an easter egg that ASUS won't admit exists, so don't tell anyone. 🙂

Thanks for the advise!

In the end I went for the GL502VS.

£400 cheaper, more storage, better GPU and heat issues aside, seems like it has fewer problems lol

Spoonablehippo wrote:
Thanks for the advise!

In the end I went for the GL502VS.

£400 cheaper, more storage, better GPU and heat issues aside, seems like it has fewer problems lol

Keep an eye out for your battery discharge with the 502VS (VSK with the 7700HQ). It should drop to 90% and begin charging back up to 100%. I have a 502VSK and it is great but the battery refuses to charge while I am playing Ghost Recon: Wildlands and it will drop below 90% and keep dropping. Don't forget to update the BIOS as well. The earlier BIOS' were terrible with the charging issue. ASUS HQ does not acknowledge the draining as an issue as well.