Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Scone View Post
    Precisely, who wants a big LED in their face whilst they're gaming?

Seems like common sense to me. Also, is it doubling up as a trading station or something? Why do you need that many monitors?
    It doesn't need to be a big light in your face, just needs to be a small light that's visible in the field of view without having to crunch my head.

Yes trading station now, previously for minor games, but I bought this mostly for the UHD, the size and the trading station.

So now you have two types of people, (1) some that want to see a the light to see if the monitor is on / off. This makes logical sense as most monitors you can easily tell if it's on or not by being able to see the indicator light. Plus I don't leave my monitor on all day / all night..

(2) Others who don't want to see it because they think this will interfere with their gaming?

The light's location is so far beneath that even if gaming I doubt it would be noticeable with it. And the led light's not even that bright to be enough of an interruption.

I don't know if the people that are saying that the light will affect their gaming have a PG348Q or not but the light is located in an area that won't be visible while playing games in any way what so ever. The screen is too huge for you to be looking at the bottom right corner of a light and have that be a problem.
    Last edited by BigJob; 02-23-2018 at 04:12 PM.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array mdzcpa PC Specs
    mdzcpa PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus Hero XI
    Processor9900k @ 5.1Ghz All Core 1.315v AVX -2
    Memory (part number)Gskill GTZ 4133 C17 32GB (4x8GB)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix 2080 TI OC
    Sound CardOn Board
    MonitorROG PG348Q
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Pro M.2 512GB for OS & APPS
    Storage #2Samsung 970 Pro M.2 1TB for GAMES
    CPU CoolerROG Ryujin 360
    CasePhanteks Evolv X
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime 1000W Titanium
    Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB
    Mouse Corsair M65 RGB
    Headset Corsaur VOID Pro
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM300 Wide Desk Mat
    OS WIN 10 Pro
    Network RouterLinksys VELOP
    Accessory #1 ROG 751JY Laptop for Moobile Gaming
    Accessory #2 Koolance EXC-800 Chiller
    Accessory #3 25+ years of overclocking

BigJob:

Now that you explain your setup, I can see your frustration with this design. But, as some of us alluded to, this really isn't a design flaw but instead a feature. I game usually in low light situations. I value not seeing any lights on the front of the panel. Even on the PG348Q where there is a lot of real estate in a dark environment you would pick up the light in the corner of your eye. This is why I suspect Asus moved the light underneath.

That said I do have a simple idea that might work. Although it is far from elegant. I would simply cut a very small strip of white paper (maybe 5mm x12mm) and tack it under the light with a sliver of tape from the rear of the monitor. Tack only the rear down. Just make sure the paper strip overhangs the front of the monitor by 1 or 2mm and let the strip "droop" in front by a few millimeters. Problem solved. I actually did it here in my office in about 3 minutes. Keep the strip small and it doesn't even look bad. The LED reflects nicely off a piece of bright white printer paper. Again, not elegant at all, but beats a mirror on the desk.

Quote Originally Posted by mdzcpa View Post
    BigJob:

Now that you explain your setup, I can see your frustration with this design. But, as some of us alluded to, this really isn't a design flaw but instead a feature. I game usually in low light situations. I value not seeing any lights on the front of the panel. Even on the PG348Q where there is a lot of real estate in a dark environment you would pick up the light in the corner of your eye. This is why I suspect Asus moved the light underneath.

That said I do have a simple idea that might work. Although it is far from elegant. I would simply cut a very small strip of white paper (maybe 5mm x12mm) and tack it under the light with a sliver of tape from the rear of the monitor. Tack only the rear down. Just make sure the paper strip overhangs the front of the monitor by 1 or 2mm and let the strip "droop" in front by a few millimeters. Problem solved. I actually did it here in my office in about 3 minutes. Keep the strip small and it doesn't even look bad. The LED reflects nicely off a piece of bright white printer paper. Again, not elegant at all, but beats a mirror on the desk.
    @mdzcpa - Perfect post, exactly what I needed. It addressed the reasoning as to why Asus did what it did and it now makes sense to me. And your post then gave me a solution to the problem, perfect, perfect, perfect post! Thank you!!

It makes sense what Asus did with the light as this monitor is built to be a gaming monitor and not a tradestation monitor. I didn't know gamers were this sensitive to lighting but good thing to learn.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by mdzcpa View Post
    BigJob:

Apparently they invented something called post it notes that does exactly what you say!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2