cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL503VM (GTX 1060) Respasting Thermal Pad Thickness

Floriante
Level 8
Im going to re-paste my notebook with liquid metal and im also going to change the thermal pads. If any of you have done that, how thick thermal pads did you use?
6 REPLIES 6

thebiggboss180
Level 9
i dont know if its same as gl502vm

i did use 1.0 mm for all and its perfect.. if its different u have to get 1.0 and 0.5 for ur chances

or maybe 1,5?

Floriante wrote:
or maybe 1,5?

we dont choose the size.. the spacing what tells u

get the three sizes if u can so u dont have surprises .

Korth
Level 14
At a glance, it looks to me like the bottleneck (the limit to how much heat can be removed) is the size/noise of the exhaust fans, not the thermal interface area between heatsink and heatsource. Meaning that I don't really expect a repaste will do much unless ASUS used really cheap goop in the factory (which seems doubtful, considering how much effort they put into engineering the rest of the cooling solution).

I wish you luck and hope the best for your repaste. I just don't think it'll give you enough of a temp drop (which equals performance lift) on your gaming laptop to really be worth the effort.

It would be interesting to see your temp and fps benchmarks before and after.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
At a glance, it looks to me like the bottleneck (the limit to how much heat can be removed) is the size/noise of the exhaust fans, not the thermal interface area between heatsink and heatsource. Meaning that I don't really expect a repaste will do much unless ASUS used really cheap goop in the factory (which seems doubtful, considering how much effort they put into engineering the rest of the cooling solution).

I wish you luck and hope the best for your repaste. I just don't think it'll give you enough of a temp drop (which equals performance lift) on your gaming laptop to really be worth the effort.

It would be interesting to see your temp and fps benchmarks before and after.

u will be surprised of when u know that the problem is the efficiency of the themal paste are bad.. look at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdTsra-uLBI

u will see that the engineers did good job in these laptops but the companys just try to save with something like pastes .

FastM
Level 8
I'll agree that switching to a metal paste probably makes a nice difference, but doing a repasts with non-metal I think is a waist of time when factoring in the risk/cost