cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG badge, reusable?

DSD27
Level 7
Hey guys, I know this may be a stupid question, but that little badge that came with my VI Hero, I sticked it to the front of my case. It has been yers. If I remove it to place it againg at a different location, will it stick again? Or will it be ruined?
5 REPLIES 5

Korth
Level 14
You can remove it carefully (in one piece, undamaged). If it's stuck in place really good then you can use heat or solvents or blades/scraping to dislodge it, but these things can damage the laptop surface finish. They usually have cheap weak sticker glue, but sometimes it's nuclear-strength ultra hyper super glue which is utterly impossible to separate or remove.

You'll probably need to clean adhesive residue from the laptop surface. Again, the laptop surface finish is probably delicate and easily damaged, it might also be permanently (chemically) discoloured from long-term exposure to the old adhesive, a dull little badge-shaped blemish which might be nearly invisible or blatantly obnoxious. Or the opposite - a gleaming little badge-shaped blemish contrasting the once-protected still good-as-new untouched plastic with the worn and faded rest of the laptop.
If you're going to expose your laptop plastics to any chemicals then first do a tiny test dab somewhere unnoticeable (underside or even inside) and let it sit for a while to confirm it's not going to wreck the plastics.

You might have to clean adhesive residue off the underside of the badge. You'll definitely have to use new adhesive if you want it to really stick good.

You can buy ROG badges online from many vendors, they're probably not legit, bona-fide, genuine, official, OEM, Made-By-Asus ... but they can be indistinguishable (or even better) than the originals, lol. Usually only a couple bucks each, plus shippings and the usual death by taxes.

You can always try peeling the thing off, it's usually trivial. And if the results ain't pretty just wipe a drop of glue onto it and press it right back where it was before to cover the mess.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
You can remove it carefully (in one piece, undamaged). If it's stuck in place really good then you can use heat or solvents or blades/scraping to dislodge it, but these things can damage the laptop surface finish. They usually have cheap weak sticker glue, but sometimes it's nuclear-strength ultra hyper super glue which is utterly impossible to separate or remove.

You'll probably need to clean adhesive residue from the laptop surface. Again, the laptop surface finish is probably delicate and easily damaged, it might also be permanently (chemically) discoloured from long-term exposure to the old adhesive, a dull little badge-shaped blemish which might be nearly invisible or blatantly obnoxious. Or the opposite - a gleaming little badge-shaped blemish contrasting the once-protected still good-as-new untouched plastic with the worn and faded rest of the laptop.
If you're going to expose your laptop plastics to any chemicals then first do a tiny test dab somewhere unnoticeable (underside or even inside) and let it sit for a while to confirm it's not going to wreck the plastics.

You might have to clean adhesive residue off the underside of the badge. You'll definitely have to use new adhesive if you want it to really stick good.

You can buy ROG badges online from many vendors, they're probably not legit, bona-fide, genuine, official, OEM, Made-By-Asus ... but they can be indistinguishable (or even better) than the originals, lol. Usually only a couple bucks each, plus shippings and the usual death by taxes.

You can always try peeling the thing off, it's usually trivial. And if the results ain't pretty just wipe a drop of glue onto it and press it right back where it was before to cover the mess.

It's not a laptop. It's my Zalman Z11 Plus case, the badge came with Maximus VI Hero board.
It also has like a plastic cover on top of it that seems to want to come out as well.

I want to remove it to place it on my GPU, to be seen through the window.

I think it would look great, but sounds like too much trouble...

Korth
Level 14
It's still the same thing really. The chassis is made of plastic or metal, it has some sort of paint or dye or surface finish.

Try carefully and slowly peeling the thing off, shouldn't be a problem. But be aware that the underlying surface might be "damaged".
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
The plastic on it is the protective plastic that is there to be peeled off...

If you peel the badge off the case with a razor blade, maybe enough sticky stuff will be left on it to stick it elsewhere...or you'll need some glue...

You would have to do it super carefully so as not to bend/kink it, since it's made of thin sheet metal

Arne's "it'll end in tears" rating: 4.25/5

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
The plastic on it is the protective plastic that is there to be peeled off...

If you peel the badge off the case with a razor blade, maybe enough sticky stuff will be left on it to stick it elsewhere...or you'll need some glue...

You would have to do it super carefully so as not to bend/kink it, since it's made of thin sheet metal

Arne's "it'll end in tears" rating: 4.25/5

Agreed, be super careful. If you bend it, it's ruined. Also keep in mind that it isn't scratch-resistant.