cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus 1080Ti Poseidon prepare to be quite shocked (or how to drop temps by ~15°C)

soundslikerust
Level 7
I found that modern heavy cards tend to bend down on standard ATX tower setups because of their increased over standard weight.

ASUS Poseidon 1080Ti is a very heavy card (water block + air heatsink). After some time it bends a little losing good contact with PCB/GPU and has ~50°C. Bend is so subtle you'll barely notice it. You have to lift card while in the benchmark to test it.

What you want to do is lift a card at the most distant part from a PCI-E slot (plastic next to power cords). Do NOT lift PCB - always lift heatsink/water block and be delicate. I lifted plastic with LEDs next to power plugs with a plastic stick.

I clocked mine at GPU@2126 1075v MEM@12650
Have Fun!

p.s. It can apply to any modern GPU if it's water-block or not - I can't test it. It's very subtle bend but can be very big temp improvement. Remember air cooled cards are less efficient in cooling so you have to wait much longer to see temps drop after lifting the card. With water block, it's almost instantaneous.
3 REPLIES 3

Tbolt214th
Level 7
I checked what you said...and OMG, from 50-51°C I dropped to 38°C under full load ming.

All it needed was a support stick to lift/support the card.

I own 2 of them, I need to check the other one ( older 980GTX Poseidon ) if that card has the same symptom.

Asus needs to address this !!! For a 1.199€ card this is a NoGo !

It resides in an Asus Z370 ROG Strix Gaming-E board btw.

Korth
Level 14
Many recent premium motherboards (including ROG and STRIX gaming mobos) come with reinforced PCIe slots. There's many GPU card braces/supports available. Some PC cases (at least the better gamer-centric ones) have GPU card support structures (or accessories) built in.

ASUS has addressed this on mobo PCIe slots. The rest is up to chassis manufacturers and aftermarket/modding vendors.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Strange enough that this happens and that there is no info about the needed support, a short note as a Flyer in the box would help, a Guide or something.

The reviews I habe read also measure the cards with those far too high temps, anything over 47°C is obsolete. That's the max tgemp I can get that card to when I am at 2101 and 12500 MHz, the reviews I have read where all around 50°C with less overclock.

I am aware of the general problematic and I doubt there is enough consensus among the board who defines the PCIe standards, the board manufacturer and the case designers and last but not least, the customer who wants to put all this together.

As Asus is the one held responsible if the card doesnt perform as it should, it would be nice if they would make this topic somewhat more public, more awareness
of how cards are stressed and overheated due to the way they are laid out and mounted.

I yet have to test if the support stick is NOT needed when the card is mounted perpendicular to G Force, aka flat board with card upright. If it still goes 50ish °C
then the reason is not enough pressure on the block to the GPU die. I will test that once I have the chance.