cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenith Extreme continues to get code 68 (Check CPU)

ryan_crane
Level 7
Hello Gamers!,

Well things have not been going well. At this point I have gone through 2 boards and 2 CPUs with the same exact issue. Every time I try to boot the board I get a post code 68 check CPU. This is with 2 different types of memory, as well as only using one stick and moving it around to different slots. I have reseated the CPU multiple times and like I stated at the beginning of this rant this has been seen with 2 full sets of hardware. I have kept every other peripheral disconnected to keep my variables down. No SATA, no NVMe, no GFX card attached. Completely just the board, the CPU, and the PSU. Can anyone please help me understand what is going wrong? Below are the parts connected for this testing:

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 DRAM 2133MHz (PC4 17000) C13 Memory Kit.
PSU: CORSAIR HX1000 Series CP-9020139-NA 1000W ATX12V v2.4 / EPS12V 2.92 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Power Supply
Mother Board: ROG Zenith Extreme Socket TR4, AMD X399
CPU: AMD Threadripper 1900X 8 cores 16 threads
6 REPLIES 6

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hey ryan_crane 🙂

tech is rubbish when it doesn't function right?

Not sure what to think there if that's two sets of hardware I'd start to suspect the CPU power supply? You got another PSU about you can test?

I presume you have both 8pin ATX connectors fully populated with correct PSU-CPU cables?

I don't have another PSU and its been impassible to get one in town with all the crypto mining. Ive been at work all day, but ill mess around with the power connectors to both the board and the modular PSU to make sure its all hooked up right. Do you think it could be from the 12v connector? Thats the only part I have a cable extension attached. Thank you for the advice! Ill update with my findings.

-Ryan

Hi All,

I have an ASUS Zenith II Extreme Alpha with a threadripper 3970x. Running fine for 6 months on mild oc. Added new (Gen 3) PCI card with PCIE M.2 ssd AND decided to fine tune my overclock by changing Sense MI sqew in BIOS.

Increased fabric clock to up memory speed and oc failed.... reboot into code 68 (check cpu) loop!!! Everything here says its screen of doom with RMI required.

ASUS owners manual says code 68 is 'PCI host bridge initialization' error. So I took out the new PCI card and all mem except one stick. Finally rebooted into BIOS... where I wound back my oc and re-adjusted Sense MI sqew. Until I hit the right combo, I still had a few code 68 epidoses while putting mem sticks back in...

Eventually learned after a code 68 I had to wait about an hour before I could boot into BIOS again. Maybe heat related too?

So, I am back to 128GB mem with a 'mild' oc (4.2GHz all cores with single core boost up to 4.55ish, CPU core voltage capped at 1.375(SVI2 TRN in HWInfo) with - offset manual voltage). Seems to be running great!!

There is hope if you have code 68. Remove PCI devices and wind back any PCI related oc.

Good Luck

GD

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I'm not sure that PSU comes with dual connectors for the ATX 8pin connectors on the board...AFAIK they should both be powered...

And sure...check without the extension for troubleshooting

gupsterg
Level 13
Corsair HX 1000 has 2x 8 pin CPU plugs. Real strange that 2 differing mobos/CPU/RAM do the same :confused: .

So gotta be a common dominator, which seems like PSU, as Arne states to try another. Unless something being done wrong by installer :confused: (no disrespect to you OP 😮 ).
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

gdoig
Level 7
Hi All,

I have an ASUS Zenith II Extreme Alpha with a threadripper 3970x. Running fine for 6 months on mild oc. Added new (Gen 3) PCI card with PCIE M.2 ssd AND decided to fine tune my overclock by changing Sense MI sqew in BIOS.

Increased fabric clock to up memory speed and oc failed.... reboot into code 68 (check cpu) loop!!! Everything here says its screen of doom with RMI required.

ASUS owners manual says code 68 is 'PCI host bridge initialization' error. So I took out the new PCI card and all mem except one stick. Finally rebooted into BIOS... where I wound back my oc and re-adjusted Sense MI sqew. Until I hit the right combo, I still had a few code 68 epidoses while putting mem sticks back in...

Eventually learned after a code 68 I had to wait about an hour before I could boot into BIOS again. Maybe heat related too?

So, I am back to 128GB mem with a 'mild' oc (4.2GHz all cores with single core boost up to 4.55ish, CPU core voltage capped at 1.375(SVI2 TRN in HWInfo) with - offset manual voltage). Seems to be running great!!

There is hope if you have code 68. Remove PCI devices and wind back any PCI related oc.

Good Luck

GD