Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    New ROGer Array

Would really be grateful for help on left hinge removal on my Zenbook Flip UX360CA

Hi I am very new to all of this, and as like the other users, I too could not find any YT videos on the Asus Zenbook Flip UX360CA on hinge removal. I have after looking at the German Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6F1...utu.be&t=2m32s
    and looked at https://laptopmedia.com/news/inside-...grade-options/

I am not sure how to detach the hinge because you say there are some wires tucked in. Can you please eloborate how to remove the hinge?

I would love to see a step by step video (as no one has made one). Can you do a mock one and remove and replace your good hinge?

I would be indebted to you, as the moment I am typing from a left loose hinge ASUS and not happy

I am afraid to open my laptop up without visuals to guide me step by step. You seemed the best person as you seemed to have got it right!

Would sincerely appreciate your help.

Rocketgirl

New ROGer Array

not too difficult but patience, persistance key

I replaced the right side hinge on an Asus UX360CA laptop on 02/24/2019. These are some thoughts & notes on the process. I found the hinges on the Asus-accessories.com website, at time they were $39/ea + S&H. By entering my specific laptop mode info, the compatible hinge part numbers popped up :

Asus UX360CA Replacement Laptop Right Hinge 13NB0BA2M07121
    Asus UX360CA Replacement Laptop Left Hinge 13NB0BA2M08121

Note that these particular hinges have the dark grey covers, to match the color of the laptop. In my case I purchased & replaced just the right hinge but the process I’ve outlined here could be followed to replace either (or both) hinges.

For tools, a precision T6 driver bit is required for disassembly, as is a standard precision Phillips head driver bit #1. Also some kind of very thin, flexible prying tool is needed.

It helps to think of the laptop as consisting of two halfs, the lower half (the keyboard & bottom case assembly), and the upper half (the touchscreen & top cover assembly).

When the new hinge arrived, I was put off by how unusually stiff it was to open & close using just my fingers. Apparently they need them to be very stiff to overcome gravitational forces & hold the screen up? Idk, but they work fine after installation so that’s all that matters.

Start with the lower half (keyboard & bottom case) disassembly by turning the laptop over & removing the 10 perimeter screws from the bottom. The T6 driver is used for this. Next, remove the two rubber feet near the hinges to expose 2 more screws. Remove these w/ your Phillips head driver.

Next, begin the top half (touchscreen & top cover) disassembly by removing the two rubber conceals on the plastic frame, at the outside of each hinge location. Underneath these two conceals is another Phillips head screw that needs to be removed. These screws help hold the hinges in place.

Once all the external screws are all removed, it is now time for prying. Starting at the very top of the touchscreen, gently use a pry tool to separate the touch screen from the top cover. Once it begins to give it just kind of pops off enough to allow more prying along the top edge of the touchscreen & down each side, working your way around carefully so as not to break anything.

With the touchscreen now separated from its top cover, it may need to be propped up as you begin to work on the separating the lower half assembly. Again, you very carefully use the prying tool, the goal being to lift the keyboard assembly up & away from the bottom case just enough to get at the hinges. This part was the most difficult as the keyboard is kind of stuck (glued?) in places, making it tricky to lift off. But starting at the back edge, work your tool in & gently pry up on the keyboard assembly & eventually it lifts a little as you work your way along the back edge in each direction. There are a couple of cables that impede your ability to lift the keyboard too far off the bottom cover, unless you are brave enough to try & remove the cables (I wasn’t). Even w/ the cables in place, I was able to pry the keyboard up enough to get at the hinges w/ a precision Phillips head driver.

Once lifted enough such that the failed hinge is now exposed, carefully remove the screws attaching the hinge to both the top & bottom covers.

Prior to screwing a new hinge in place, note there is a cable that bends in & back out the hinge that needs to slip into the end of the hinge. Make note of the fit as you remove the old hinge & then fit it in the same manner on the new hinge. Then screw the new hinge securely in place into both top & bottom covers.

Lastly, push/snap the keyboard back in place over the bottom cover & replace all the screws removed during the disassembly process. Do the same for the top cover/touchscreen assembly. Finally, replace the 2 rubber conceals & the rubber feet & prepare to power the laptop on & test your work. All told, allow 1-2 hrs to complete.

ROG Junior Member Array

I just repaired my hinge using josecanuc's excellent instructions. My only comment is that I had to use a Torx T5 screwdriver bit, not a T6.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2