Pyroan
Level 7
Old reliable build
CPU: Intel i5-6500 3.2GHz quadcore
Mobo: Asus B150-C
RAM: Ripjaws IV 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2400
CPU fan: Cooler Master D92
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Storage: Western Digital 125GB SSD Blue (system)
Western Digital 1TB HDD Black
PSU: Cooler Master 650W

Wife's new build
CPU: Intel i5-6500 3.2GHz quadcore
Mobo: Asus Strix B250G
RAM: Ripjaws V 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2400
CPU fan: Cooler Master D92
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Storage: Western Digital 250GB SSD Blue (system)
Western Digital 1TB HDD Blue
PSU: Cooler Master 650W
Case: Fractal Design Node 804 MATX* Cube

Built my first one a year ago and works beautifully. Started working on my wife's Wednesday. Wasn't expecting any issues due to the similarities.

1)Put her SSD and HDD into my build to install OS and move folders around.
2) Assembled PC and turned on. No BIOS and no boot.
3) Disassembled and reassembled several times in case I botched a connection.
4) Borrowed mobo speaker from my build but no sound was made during attempted boot.

CPU pins are fine. The mother board also lights up as expected.
Have tried multiple moniters just in case.

A few notes, keyboard is not lighting up and the case fans gets their power from a SATA connection. The keyboard has me worried that something is wrong with the motherboard, although everything else seems fine aside from no boot. Wondering if the lack of chassis fan in plug will keep board from booting.
8 REPLIES 8

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Remove the GPU and see if using the iGPU makes any difference.
If everything appears to be fine, remove the motherboard from the enclosure and reattempt
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

bfollowell
Level 9
I had a similar issue when I built my Maximus IX Hero build last fall. It seems my system was booting all along, but I couldn't see it. Are you connecting to your GPU with DisplayPort cable or HDMI cable? For some unknown reason that still doesn't make any sense to me, I couldn't get any video from my system via DisplayPort. I finally tried HDMI and found out it was booting all along; I just couldn't see it. Once I got Windows 10 installed properly and running, everything works fine via DisplayPort or HDMI. It was only during my initial setup that I experienced this problem. Anyway, it's something you can checkout fairly quickly.

Good luck and welcome to the community.

I've been using an HDMI and DP during this process.
Just removed the motherboard from enclosure.
At the moment the only things connected are CPU fans, RAM, HDMI, keyboard, and mouse.
No change.

Korth
Level 14
Maybe try updating BIOS, earlier Intel 200 Series mobos were designed for Kaby and sometimes needed firmware update to support Sky.

I would try a clean WinOS install in the machine it's intended to run on, not installed and transferred from another machine.
There might be weird quirks or conflicts with drivers, there might be Microsoft-imposed ("anti-piracy") issues with the Windows Product Key being married to a different machine's UEFI.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Every compatibility tool I've checked gave no indications of incompatibility.
Cannot get into BIOS to update.
SSD and HDD not plugged in right now.
As far as I can tell, its not even going to POST.

Korth
Level 14
Are any of the Q-LEDs lit during boot?

Is your DDR4 kit on the QVL for that mobo?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

That was it.
The mobo supports the Ripjaws IV, but not the V.
Thanks for the help.

Ok, I've replaced the DDR4 with one compatible with the mobo.
Still unable to boot to BIOS.
I've tried both the onboard HDMI and the graphics card port, thinking that it may just not be outputting to one or the other. No dice.
At the moment, all that is connected are the fans, RAM, case stuff, and disk drive.
Any suggestions?