cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel HD Graphics Driver and Nvidia Drivers

Not_Enough_Rage
Level 11
I just want to ask if I should be updating the Intel HD graphics driver. I always update my Nvidia driver, but I never think about the Intel HD driver. I thought that since I`m using an Nvidia graphics card and using the graphics software that Nvidia provides, I did`nt need to update the Intel driver. Should the Intel HD driver be updated as well?
I don`t know if this is related, but I cannot play standard DVDs on my Blu-Ray drive, but I can play Blu-Ray DVDs on it. Just not the standard DVDs. Could it be because I have an outdated Intel HD graphics driver?
8 REPLIES 8

Nate152
Hi Not_Enough_Rage

With a pcie gpu there's no need for the Intel graphics driver, I personally don't install it.

The Intel graphics driver shouldn't have an effect on your blu-ray drive reading DVD's, could possibly be compatibility or blu-ray player setting if no other standard DVD's work.

Ok, thanks Nate. I thought I read that somewhere, that the Intel driver was not necessary. I think there is a software issue with CyberLink PowerDVD17. I`ve contacted them for tech support.

Korth
Level 14
I also don't bother to install drivers for any integrated hardware devices - like iGPU or Realtek audio or ASMedia controllers - if dedicated hardware devices are installed.

Less bloat running in memory, fewer version conflicts, not as many component libraries and dependencies. Little question marks and caution indicators in the device manager are harmless annoyances if the hardware you're actually using is all working perfectly.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Menthol
Level 14
I don't know why your drive won't play standard DVD disks but will play Blue Ray disks, what are you trying to play, movie's? Have you checked manufacturers website for a firmware update?

No need to install Intel Video drivers but it doesn't hurt to install them, keep in mind you have to go into bios and enable the iGPU before you can install or update the drivers.

Korth,
been wondering about that Realtek driver too. Good to know that I don`t really have to worry about the drivers for integrated hardware.

Menthol.
yes, I am trying to play movie DVDs. It`s strange it will play a Blu-Ray DVD, but not the standard ones. I have the CyberLink PowerDVD 17 software and it is updated to their latest patches. I sent off a trouble ticket to them. Waiting for a response from them.
I don`t see any setting within the PowerDVD software that has to do with playback of discs. Could it be a setting that needs changing in the Nvidia Control Panel, since I`m not using iGPU?

Korth
Level 14
You still need the motherboard Realtek drivers if you're not using dedicated audio hardware (soundcard, external DAC, etc). Sadly, many games refuse to install or run if they don't detect audio, so you can't have a truly "silent" PC, lol.

The extra ASUS audio softwares - Sonic Radar, etc - are not essential drivers, they provide additional features or functionality but aren't strictly required to make noise. I always check out all the ASUS software which comes with my ASUS products, but a lot of it I find isn't necessary or even very good (compared to alternative softwares). It's got the snazzy ROG look and style, though, great for impressing people haha.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Not_Enough_Rage
Level 11
I think i am using the motherboard Realtek driver because I have my old Cambridge SoundWorks 5.1 surround speakers connected to the motherboard output jacks. I did`nt install a separate driver or a sound card for them. The control panel says I am using Realtek as default. I have not updated this driver at all. It is the Realtek driver that was installed when I bought the motherboard 2 years ago.
The only thing I have been updating from Asus is the BIOS.

Korth
Level 14
Windows may have autodetected and installed the Realtek driver (the latest WQHL version of it, anyways) for you, maybe prompted by a signal sent by the jack-detection sensor in the audio port.

The base (Intel or AMD) chipset drivers, processor microcode (if there is any), and GPU (NVIDIA or AMD) drivers are critical. The ASUS-added chipset extensions are all optional, useful if you use them, useless if you don't use them and/or have other hardware for those functions. And, of course, you need to install whatever motherboard firmware (BIOS) supports your hardware, if it's not properly supported on earlier revisions.

[/Korth]