ROG Enthusiast Array

Press the Power button twice in Erp mode

I noticed if I Erp S5 or S4 & S5 under APM configuration enabled I must press the power button twice to power the PC. The first time the PC powers for about a second and then turns off. The second time it will power up normally. I must add I have Windows Fast Startup off. When Fast Startup is enabled if you press a key on the keyboard the keyboard lights up and I don't like that.

Has anybody noticed this behavior? On my last build with a Maximus 7 hero I didn't have this problem using S5. I like S5 because everything is powered off.

If I turn off the power supply switch and then switch it back on I get the same results without the Erp enabled. The ErP S5 is the same as removing Power to the PC. Could somebody with a Maximus X Hero try turning the Power supply switch off and back on and see if the PC will boot with one press of the power button? With the Power Supply switch off press the power button and hold down to discharge MB then turn switch back on.

I just found out that if I press the power button once and wait the PC powers up then down and then back up and boots normally.
    Last edited by wing_man; 01-17-2018 at 03:21 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by wing_man View Post
    I noticed if I Erp S5 or S4 & S5 under APM configuration enabled I must press the power button twice to power the PC. The first time the PC powers for about a second and then turns off. The second time it will power up normally. I must add I have Windows Fast Startup off. When Fast Startup is enabled if you press a key on the keyboard the keyboard lights up and I don't like that.

Has anybody noticed this behavior? On my last build with a Maximus 7 hero I didn't have this problem using S5. I like S5 because everything is powered off.

If I turn off the power supply switch and then switch it back on I get the same results without the Erp enabled. The ErP S5 is the same as removing Power to the PC. Could somebody with a Maximus X Hero try turning the Power supply switch off and back on and see if the PC will boot with one press of the power button? With the Power Supply switch off press the power button and hold down to discharge MB then turn switch back on.

I just found out that if I press the power button once and wait the PC powers up then down and then back up and boots normally.
    I built my system around Christmas. Asus formula X, I7 8700k, 1080ti.

Exact same issue. With ErP enabled in S5, I press power: pc powers on, light flashes and fans spins for half a second, flicks off, then powers on as normal(I don't have to press power twice)

ErP disabled this doesn't occur. Pc starts right away, but my USB microphone light continually shines lighting up my living room at night a cool blue.

Here's a video showing exactly what happens with ErP enabled:
    https://youtu.be/Ndf6A9g2phU
    Last edited by MoonFrost; 02-04-2018 at 02:22 AM.

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

For the op, this may have something to do with the psu you are using. It's possible the rail isnt pulling up as required by the board.

The rig starting twice with erp enabled is normal. Just the way power needs to be sequenced.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Feklar PC Specs
    Feklar PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus XI Apex
    Processori9 9900k
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL Trident Z Royal F4-4400C18D-16GTRS
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA w/ Hydro Copper Waterblock
    MonitorAcer Predator X35
    Storage #1Samsung 860 Pro 1TB
    Storage #2850 Evo 1TB and 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Water Cooling
    CasePhanteks Evolv X
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2
    Keyboard Logitech G513 Carbon
    Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
    Headset Ultrasone Pro 750
    Headset/Speakers Schiit Gungnir DAC w/Violectric V100 Headphone Amp
    OS Windows 10 Professional
    Accessory #1 Mo-Ra 3 Pro 4x180 Radiator
    Accessory #2 Koolance Fittings and QDC's
    Accessory #3 XSPC Raystorm Neo Metal CPU block w/EVGA Hydro Copper GPU block

Same thing here. My Rampage VI Apex does it, my Maximus X Hero does it. My Maximus X Apex and the Apex IX both did not have this anomaly. I am using the same psu for all of these boards. Disabling S5 cures the issue. I believe Elmor verified this on his board as well.

i9 9900k + Asus Maximus XI Apex + EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA
    Trident Z Royal F4-4400C18D-16GTRS + Samsung 860 Pro SSD, EVO 1TB, EVO 2TB
    EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Power Supply + Phanteks Evolv X case
    XSPC Raystorm Neo Metal CPU block, EVGA Hydro Copper GPU block
    Koolance Fittings and QDC's + Mo-Ra 3 Pro 4x180 Radiator
    LG G32GK850G Monitor +
    Windows 10 Pro

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Feklar View Post
    Same thing here. My Rampage VI Apex does it, my Maximus X Hero does it. My Maximus X Apex and the Apex IX both did not have this anomaly. I am using the same psu for all of these boards. Disabling S5 cures the issue. I believe Elmor verified this on his board as well.
    Board models often utilize rail distribution according to the platform and the number/type of onboard devices, so it's not surprising to see different behaviour.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Feklar PC Specs
    Feklar PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus XI Apex
    Processori9 9900k
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL Trident Z Royal F4-4400C18D-16GTRS
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA w/ Hydro Copper Waterblock
    MonitorAcer Predator X35
    Storage #1Samsung 860 Pro 1TB
    Storage #2850 Evo 1TB and 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Water Cooling
    CasePhanteks Evolv X
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2
    Keyboard Logitech G513 Carbon
    Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
    Headset Ultrasone Pro 750
    Headset/Speakers Schiit Gungnir DAC w/Violectric V100 Headphone Amp
    OS Windows 10 Professional
    Accessory #1 Mo-Ra 3 Pro 4x180 Radiator
    Accessory #2 Koolance Fittings and QDC's
    Accessory #3 XSPC Raystorm Neo Metal CPU block w/EVGA Hydro Copper GPU block

That makes sense. I only use s5 to turn off the onboard led's. I'm using the Hero X right now so I can leave s5 disabled since only the start button is illuminated when it's off. It would be convenient if there was an option in the bios to disable the onboard led's when the unit is powered off. Similar to the option with the aura led's.

i9 9900k + Asus Maximus XI Apex + EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA
    Trident Z Royal F4-4400C18D-16GTRS + Samsung 860 Pro SSD, EVO 1TB, EVO 2TB
    EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Power Supply + Phanteks Evolv X case
    XSPC Raystorm Neo Metal CPU block, EVGA Hydro Copper GPU block
    Koolance Fittings and QDC's + Mo-Ra 3 Pro 4x180 Radiator
    LG G32GK850G Monitor +
    Windows 10 Pro

ROG Enthusiast Array

Same here maximus X hero, never had such "problem" with maximus vii hero.
    I thought it's just something to do with O/C, I guess not.