New ROGer Array

system unstable at 'stock'

I just spent the better part of 3 weeks trying to diagnose why my new system was unstable (random reboots and crashes during games). I thought it was hardware related and spent weeks troubleshooting.

Just as I was about to begin RMA'ing stuff something inspired me to OC the system and crank up the voltage. I have had no issues since and have run days worth of realbench, prime95, and hci memtest.

I just thought everyone should know this, because the 'default' settings on the board did not work for me. I know this is an enthusiast board, but I have built 5-6 PCs over the years, with similar grade mobos, and this is the first time I haven't had a stable system at stock board settings.

Hopefully this helps someone else out there having this problem.

My settings are are x47 ratio, all cores synced, XMP enabled, 1.25V CPU voltage (adaptive), load lines at .01. I may try to tweak it more in the coming weeks but for now I am just happy to have it stable now for the last 2 days.

hopefully I don't jinx myself by posting this
    Last edited by trey0204; 12-25-2017 at 04:44 AM.

New ROGer Array

Hey,

You might've encountered the same problems I had.

This is the thread I started at the time: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...Unstable-8600k

The key point being, and I quote:
    I found that my mobo, for some reason, sets these 4 voltages I posted on that picture, way too high, completely unnecessary and it actually brought me instability. They are now at VCCIO 1.0v, System Agent 1.05V, PHC Core voltage and standby voltage 1.0V and it has been working perfectly.

Hey trey, where can I find the settings you mentioned? I cant find anything to set the voltage and so on, also not the "load lines" part and x47

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar

XMP is not stock, at all. Return to optimised defaults, changing nothing in AI Tweaker and retest.

Hello Silent,

I know that XMP is an overclock. BUT the system was running at default in the beginning, for around one month. I didn't change anything, it started crashing randomly. For no reason. Read the first posts please, it's further explained there. Afterwards I tested a couple of things. For example XMP, which I turned off again, because it didn't help at all. Nothing helped so far. Any ideas?

By the way: I just had a Bluescreen, with the debug code: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    Any ideas at that one? I guess it's driver related, but I have no idea how to find the faulty driver there.

EDIT: Damn, totally mixed up the posts. I was talking about that one https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...mly-Powers-off
    Last edited by Kirito-Kun; 02-25-2018 at 11:43 PM.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Korth PC Specs
    Korth PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS X99 R5E (BIOS2101/1902)
    ProcessorHaswell-EP E5-1680-3 SR20H/R2 (4.4GHz)
    Memory (part number)Vengeance LPX 4x8GB SS DDR4-3000 (CMK32GX4M4C3000C15)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Sound CardJDS Labs O2+ODAC (RevB), USB2 UAC1
    MonitorASUS PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSDs, 4xSATA3 RAID0
    Storage #2Comay BladeDrive E28 3200GB SSD, 8xPCIe2
    CPU CoolerRaijintek NEMESIS/TISIS, AS5, 2xNH-A14
    CaseObsidian 750D (original), 6xNH-A14
    Power SupplyZalman/FSP ZM1250 Platinum
    Headset Pilot P51 PTT *modded*
    OS Arch, Gentoo, Win7x64, Win10x64
    Network RouterActiontec T3200M VDSL2 Gateway
    Accessory #1 TP-Link AC1900 Archer T9E, 1xPCIe
    Accessory #2 ASUS/Infineon SLB9635 TPM (TT1.2/FW3.19)
    Accessory #3 ASUS OC Panel I (FW0501)

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is caused 90% of the time by driver faults - most often a hardware resource conflict in the Intel RST drivers, sometimes network drivers, rarely USB or other drivers. The other 10% of the time it's caused by unstable overclocks or misconfigured XMP settings. And the other 100% of the time it's caused by Windows.

Try reinstalling the Intel chipset drivers, along with any Intel LAN and whatever else they provide, although you can skip Intel iGPU and HD Audio drivers if you don't use those hardware components.

I'd also look at recent Windows Updates, especially anything which has anything to do with Microsoft implementing Intel microcode fixes. Couldn't tell you which these might be, I don't run WinOS outside a box anymore, lol.
    Last edited by Korth; 02-25-2018 at 11:43 PM.
    "All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Hey Korth,

Updated the drivers as the random shutdowns started occuring, the only driver I found which was updated yesterday was the Realtek HD Audio one, also updated that one, even so I am very rarely using it. Let's see

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Driver IRQL BSODs can also be caused by memory instability.