cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with Ethernet (Possible motherboard issues?)

strommj
Level 7
Hello ROG community. I'm reaching out here to see if what I'm about to described has been experienced with other ASUS Crosshair VI Hero (Ryzen) owners, or if it is a recognized issue by asus, etc. I'm still leaning towards that it's probably not the computer, however at this point I'm looking at all different fronts.

The Issue: My internet connection occasionally cuts out in various ways. I am using the Motherboard's provided Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection driver. (up to date, no updates recommended by Windows.

Symptoms:

1) I first started noticing this issue when I was attempting to stream games. At the time it didn't matter if both of me and my roommate were trying to stream (which is a different issue with breaching our upload speed data cap), or if I was streaming and my roommate was not home (only I was using the internet). In this situation, I still had a download from my connection, as I could hear my friends on discord, however I could see my upload bit-rate drop to 0 for a few seconds which also drops the stream and shows me as offline for that time when it's reconnecting.

2) General internet connection drops, such as being in a discord call with friends, and I will Loose all connection, and I will not hear any audio of friends speaking for a few seconds.

3) Just recently I was away from my computer with my headphones on (wireless) listening to music on Spotify, and Spotify stopped streaming the music, because it claimed I did not have a internet connection. I have not experienced this problem when I've been at my computer though

4) I have had this happen with Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege, which ultimately ended up with me leaving the game due to no internet connection.

Troubleshooting:

-internet goes through a modem, then to a wireless router, where our Ethernet is plugged into.

-My roommate does not seem to have any of these issues.

-I tried switching ports on the router, and switching to a different Ethernet cable

-One thing I have heard is this could be possibly due to not using all 12 pins on the cpu power connectors? Although I don't see how this would be the cause of the issue. As well my rommate, like me, only uses 8 of his 12 pins (I haven't seen any specific instructions in the manual that says these should be used)

-I have called charter a couple times now, and they seem to think the hardware is working fine (no errors in the logs, or events where connectivity has dropped). They also believe the router and modem to be working perfectly fine. Although I haven't asked them to send anybody out and check just in case nothing is wrong and they charge me a fee.

-I have not tried using fancy software to monitor packet-loss, as I am not qualified enough to know what any of it means.

-Note this problem doesn't occur that often, and such it is difficult to reproduce. I will start leaving a cmd terminal open from now on and ping my router to see if there is any connectivity issues from my computer's end. So far in the time I've written this post it seems to be pinging normally, and getting a 1ms response time. Occasionally it gets a lag and there is one ping that takes anywhere from 11ms to 24ms. Although I will have to check back here and update this post if I ever encounter a ping failure.

I think that's all, Please give me suggestions if you think it's relevant to this forum, or otherwise I'm not sure if it's ok to get network advice on here? (Moderators can correct me on this).
5 REPLIES 5

hotwirez
Level 7
I have similar issues with Ethernet connections using the onboard adapter. I haven't had issues installing the driver like others have reported, but I do have problems with stability. Usually I like to leave my system running as long as it'll run (weeks, months if possible) but this system initially had issues with memory, so I've had to underclock the G.Skill memory F4-2933C14-16GFX that was originally on the QVL but seems to have been removed recently (I know it was on there because that's why it was purchased, being the fastest memory supported with the motherboard and a Ryzen processor at the time). Since doing this I've noticed that I'm able to leave the system running much longer, maybe a few days, before I start to encounter packet loss on connections via the Ethernet adapter. A reboot fixes the issues until they start again a day or two later.

Anyway, I figured it was worth mentioning that right now underclocking is helping me with the memory but the Ethernet adapter issue is the most annoying problem with the motherboard currently for me. I haven't updated the BIOS in a month or so and see there's a new one out and was thinking of trying it. The notes saying "improve memory compatibility" seem promising, though perhaps that's the reason for the list modification. I'll mention if it improves anything.

Edit - I'm also trying adjusting power management settings to turn some of them off to see if it helps. I see one that mentions reducing the link speed if the system is idle, for instance. And I'm turning off auto-negotiation for now and leaving it at 1Gbps to see if that's a factor.

hotwirez
Level 7
I thought it worth following up - I updated the BIOS to 6201, upgraded the Intel i211 driver using the latest from Intel's website following a suggestion I saw from someone here, and followed a tutorial on p-state overclocking (I set the base clock for P0 to 4000Mhz and added .05V delta to the voltage) and have arrived at a setup that's stable with the RAM at its rated speed and has been up without issue for 11 days now. The only issue I've had has been with the temp sensors getting stuck when I ran the AIDA64 stress test for about an hour at those settings, but outside of doing that I've had no problems. If I had more time to mess with this I'd recommend trying each of these independently, but I didn't want to wait a lot of time between making a change and verifying it's good. This time flying by the seat of my pants worked out. Hope this helps anyone.

Hello guys,

I am having similar issue. Internet is stopping every 15 sec and last in average 5 sec. I went on a weekend abroad and when I came back to issue was there. There was no thunderstorms during the weekend either so I dont think it is the source of the internet issue.

I have
- plug my ethernet cable to another computer, and it worked fine
- plug my ethernet cable to another port on the rooter, issue was still there
- re-instal W10, 3 times, with different image ( Pro, family etc). The issue was still there
- Bought a USB Ethernet adapter and the issue is still there.

Right now I dont know if it is hardware or software...

I am not overlocking anything.

Here is my setup
- W10
- memory: Corsair CMU32Gx4M2c3000c15B - 2*16Gb
- MB: crosshair hero VI
- PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 (1000W)
- GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING ACX 3.0

Any idea? I am thinking to do an RMA for my MB

thanks

Pipes69
Level 7
Hello All,

I'm having issues with my ethernet as well, When I built the system this week, It didn't post the first time So I had to update the bios, Which was easy enough with the bios flash option , Which worked perfectly.
My Crosshair vii x470 is plugged directly into router with my 3 other ASUS builds, They are getting over 600mbps, I'm only getting at the max 17mbps download speeds when downloading, I changed the cable with other computers and they were still getting over 600mbps with the same cable, I updated the windows ethernet drivers, moved it to different ports on router, Still only getting 17mbps download speeds, I have put together over a dozen Asus ROG motherboards the last 10 years and have never had this issue, I have always hard wired the either net and usually do not use wifi on my boards, I have tried just about everything I could think of trouble shooting this download speed issue, Everything else works great, I ordered a wifi adapter to see if I went wifi on not hard wire, I truly have only had 1 issue with my ASUS boards in the last 10 years so I just been sticking with ASUS on all my equipment, I do know this, When I did have that one problem, It was vary hard dealing with tech support, Hopefully someone out there has an Idea to share

Kind Regards

Windows 10 (latest Update)
Ryzen 3700x OC to 4.0
3600 Corsair DDR4 running at 3000
EVGA 1000
512gb M.2 in slot m.2-1
ASUS Strix Super advanced RTX 2080s

Pipes69 wrote:
Hello All,

I'm having issues with my ethernet as well, When I built the system this week, It didn't post the first time So I had to update the bios, Which was easy enough with the bios flash option , Which worked perfectly.
My Crosshair vii x470 is plugged directly into router with my 3 other ASUS builds, They are getting over 600mbps, I'm only getting at the max 17mbps download speeds when downloading, I changed the cable with other computers and they were still getting over 600mbps with the same cable, I updated the windows ethernet drivers, moved it to different ports on router, Still only getting 17mbps download speeds, I have put together over a dozen Asus ROG motherboards the last 10 years and have never had this issue, I have always hard wired the either net and usually do not use wifi on my boards, I have tried just about everything I could think of trouble shooting this download speed issue, Everything else works great, I ordered a wifi adapter to see if I went wifi on not hard wire, I truly have only had 1 issue with my ASUS boards in the last 10 years so I just been sticking with ASUS on all my equipment, I do know this, When I did have that one problem, It was vary hard dealing with tech support, Hopefully someone out there has an Idea to share

Kind Regards

Windows 10 (latest Update)
Ryzen 3700x OC to 4.0
3600 Corsair DDR4 running at 3000
EVGA 1000
512gb M.2 in slot m.2-1
ASUS Strix Super advanced RTX 2080s

Revert the overclocks and see if the ethernet speed is still stuck at 17mbps. A high overclock might be drawing power away from the LAN port and forcing it to run slower. After pushing my overclock higher, I noticed that my C6H will sometimes need a minute to even register an ethernet connection. Strange. Apparently, using
the extra 4pin power connector for the motherboard's CPU power socket will alleviate this. Makes sense why they offered it now.