cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why I didn't choose an Asus ROG router

Riekopo
Level 9
My old Asus router died and I had to search for a replacement. I read a lot of reviews including on SmallNetBuilder. I was considering an Asus ROG router, but one thing held me back. And that is the way they looked. There's no way I could put one of those extremely garish and hideous looking things in my office/room. It looks like a toy for a child. It looks like it was designed by a child. Asus seriously needs to hire some new designers who can make their ROG products look more mature and understated. Even the router interface is really ugly looking.

I ended up going with a more normal looking lower end Asus router. The RT-AC1750 B1.
21 REPLIES 21

namoi
Level 8
Tbh i buy asus router for the Merlin firmware support not for their look. Nonetheless i am happy with how my ac68u looks and with that firmware i am still to find something to complain (except of the usb3 port which create interferences but i don't use it anyway).
One of a few asus devices i own for which i don't complain. I wish i could do the same with my aura/armoury devices. 😛

Korth
Level 14
We don't use them at our offices either for the same reason. Angular predator garish gaming stuff is not suited for "professional" environments.

lol, the guys in the shop actually modded a few ROG gaming laptops, replacing the big gamer badge with something less juvenile, I've seen complaints in this forum about this before - a lot of people buy ROG for high-end gaming performance but they don't want ROG "style" distracting attention in meetings, presentations, etc.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Riekopo wrote:
My old Asus router died and I had to search for a replacement. I read a lot of reviews including on SmallNetBuilder. I was considering an Asus ROG router, but one thing held me back. And that is the way they looked. There's no way I could put one of those extremely garish and hideous looking things in my office/room. It looks like a toy for a child. It looks like it was designed by a child. Asus seriously needs to hire some new designers who can make their ROG products look more mature and understated. Even the router interface is really ugly looking.

I ended up going with a more normal looking lower end Asus router. The RT-AC1750 B1.

The ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 is after all a gaming router, with a design consistent with other gaming hardware in our ecosystem. The majority of high-end custom gaming PCs and peripherals are also inappropriate for the average office. That's why ASUS offers a wide variety of designs for you to choose from, RT-AC3100 is worth checking out if you are in search of performance, and aesthetics to match your office.

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
The ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 is after all a gaming router, with a design consistent with other gaming hardware in our ecosystem. The majority of high-end custom gaming PCs and peripherals are also inappropriate for the average office. That's why ASUS offers a wide variety of designs for you to choose from, RT-AC3100 is worth checking out if you are in search of performance, and aesthetics to match your office.

Might be.

But why is there no way to hang the router on the wall?

The RG-AC5300 is the first router of my long life that has no openings to hang it on the wall.

What background had this design decision?

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Clues in the branding name.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Korth
Level 14
Yes, there's "clues" in the branding. It's not hard to see exactly what you're buying, there's photos all over the place, there's no surprises.

Quite often people buy the game-branded stuff because they want game-branded performance. It's faster and better than business-branded Dell or Acer or HP junk. They want the performance, they're willing to pay the premium for the performance promised by the brand, but they don't want to esport childish brand pwnage in a work environment.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

remove
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Korth wrote:

Quite often people buy the game-branded stuff because they want game-branded performance. It's faster and better than business-branded Dell or Acer or HP junk. They want the performance, they're willing to pay the premium for the performance...

Quite right. Gaming computers use cutting-edge hardware. At work we had scientific workstations with performance almost as good as gaming computers but with Quaddro or Firepro GPUs instead of gaming GPUs.

I wish some routers didn't look like a dead spider on its back, but I understand you need multiple antennas (MIMO) for very fast WiFi. BTW we had conference room phones that reminded me of the martian ships in H.G. Wells "War of the Worlds", no kidding. We might have made fun of Art Deco in its day, but those designs look pretty classy in retrospect.

R5Eandme wrote:
Gaming computers use cutting-edge hardware. At work we had scientific workstations with performance almost as good as gaming computers but with Quaddro or Firepro GPUs instead of gaming GPUs.

A little dated, but... here's what gaming hardware can be used for.

US Air Force connects 1,760 PlayStation 3's to build supercomputer: http://phys.org/news/2010-12-air-playstation-3s-supercomputer.html

"... cost is about 5-10% of the cost of an equivalent system built with off-the-shelf computer parts."

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk