cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Zenith Extreme 3rd RMA

Ragn0r
Level 7
First board from B&H couldn't return because of their 30 day rule that I didn't think about because I was waiting on other components for the Tower 900 build. When I did open the box there was a very small screw floating around and the standoffs for the NVME.2 SSDs were missing. This board had bent and misaligned pins and with magnification found that a few of the pins were bent backwards which baffles me how the pins could be bent backwards by carefully installing the Threadripper 1950x. RMA the board back and am told it is my fault and need to pay $130.00 on top of my $30.00 shipping charge. Get a replacement board that will power up but won't even start the Live Dash (OLED display.) Returned that board and was able to coax them into giving me a brand new replacement board so I would at least get the standoffs that were missing in the very first box. Any with the inbox board I was able to get it up and running with 64GB of Ballistix Elite RAM flashed the BIOS to 0901. The system reported RAM = 64GB (31.9GB Usable) Followed tech support suggestions and disassembled the water loop for RAM and GPU unseated the memory and reseated one at a time until all eight sticks of ram were recognized and the Live Dash (OLED) display would progress to post the bios.This lengthy procedure made no difference. The system still reported 64GB (31.9GB Usable). Did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 64bit and the System reported 64GB (41.8 GB usable). Someone informed that it appeared as thou Windows was not seeing two of 8GB sticks. Tech support instructed me to flash the BIOS to 0902 and this put the board back to where it would not post past the memory check. Now they asked me to fill out the RMA form for a return and can not get past the serial number requirement on the form. I started this build in October of 2017 and because of the ROG Zenith Extreme I still do not have a running Desktop. Has my patience been tested regarding this issue???
Nothing can be above though
6 REPLIES 6

Cory29
Level 7
Your not alone I had 4 luckily through my supplier since i was in the 30 day window. The few times I had contacted Asus directly they have been sub par if I ever got a response at all and extremely un informed of the problems with this board.

I Will not be buying Asus products any time soon ..

BigJob
Level 10
Holy smokes dude, I feel so bad for you. I had 2 RMAs and they took 23 days each, can't imagine 3 and then having to pay on top for something that wasn't your fault. I don't know if you want to test your luck with a 3rd RMA or what but daing. I would weigh going back to a Maximus Code w a 7700k or upgrad to one of the newer coffee lake cpus instead of AMD and x399 combo until months down the road. You've been seriously unlucky.

And what the heck does "and can not get past the serial number requirement on the form" mean? How can they not get past the serial number requirement? Is that not on the board? huh?

might also want to get rid of those ram kits and get some g skill QVL x399 verified kits

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Is the Balistix elite a single 64GB quad chanel kit? What is the exact part number?

gupsterg
Level 13
AFAIK Crucial Ballistix Elite comes as max 4 dimm kits, OP has 8 dimms. So would be using 2 kits of quad to make up 8x8GB = 64GB.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
OK...in that case for troubleshooting I'd suggest separating the kits by serial number and starting off with one for now...and it's probably a case of upping voltage for all of the DIMMs to be recognised...

If you are trying to run 8 sticks at default 1.2v at stock it might even have a problem with that...set 1.35V or higher right from the get go if you want to try 8 sticks...

gupsterg
Level 13
I agree OP needs to go manual tweaks.

Definitely getting memory training issues. Ryzen/Threadripper besides out right failing to post, etc will do what OP is stating.

Ragn0r wrote:
The system reported RAM = 64GB (31.9GB Usable) Followed tech support suggestions and disassembled the water loop for RAM and GPU unseated the memory and reseated one at a time until all eight sticks of ram were recognized and the Live Dash (OLED) display would progress to post the bios.This lengthy procedure made no difference. The system still reported 64GB (31.9GB Usable). Did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 64bit and the System reported 64GB (41.8 GB usable).

Probably would be best to get setup posting/using all RAM prior to going WC on RAM, etc.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video