cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Built a Threadripper PC. Zeneith motherboard won't recognize my Samsung EVO 960

Deedas
Level 7
-------EDIT-------
MODS I'm having trouble closing this thread. Can you help me close/delete it please.

Beforehand these are the parts I used:
Asus ROG Zeneith Extreme x399
AMD Threadripper 1900X
4 x 8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200mhz CAS 14
Gigabyte GTX 1080 Aorus (Temporary until I can find an affordable AMD Strix card)
Samsung 960 Evo NVMe (Boot)
Samsung 950 2.5 SSD
Enermax Liqtech TR4 240mm AIO (Oh man that name, but worth it for the awesome cooling)
EVGA G2 850W Gold+
Phanteks P400 (Temporary until I find a better E-ATX case)

I've waited a good while to write this because to be honest this problem doesn't prevent me from using the PC. I recycled the GPU and the NVMe from another build. And that might have been where I went wrong. I never bother wiping the NVMe before hand because modern mobos can just wipe them clean and/or when installing Windows I could also wipe it then. I put everything together and fired it it up. Before I even tried to go into BIOS windows had already booted. Woops, I'll reboot and be ready for F2/DEL next time. I did that, went into BIOS, flashed the latest version then rebooted. I went back into BIOS, left CPU settings as default, since it already had a nice 4.15GHZ overclock in place. I did XMP on the RAM to get 3200mhz. Then I went on to find the boot drive to try and wipe it. I did find the tool but when I ran it, it only recognized the blank 950 ssd I got for mass storage. No 960 Evo anywhere to be seen including the boot order option. How can this be right? It booted to windows previously. So I freaked out and rebooted with new settings. It booted to windows just fine. I was really WTFing at the moment. I calmed down and decided to try the windows installer. I did that and it was "freak out time" again. It didn't show the 960 Evo as an install destination. I rebooted and tried looking for something I had missed in the BIOS again. I still couldn't find the 960 Evo anywhere. I went into the windows installer again since at that point I was still not ready to break down the computer to get to the ssd and put it on another machine to wipe it. This time the 960 Evo showed up. I wiped it and install windows 10 Pro. I then installed all the utilities and my programs and called it a day since everything was finally working.

A few days later I noticed there was an amber LED On on the motherboard. Out of curiosity I looked it up and it said Boot drive problem. OF COURSE! I tried googling it but, you know, googling something hasn't actually been a fruitful process for the best part of a decade. I did come up to this forum and decided to ask about my problem here. Again, because the PC actually works and the only problem is that LED being on, I never rushed to make a new thread asking for help. But I finally did it I'm hoping someone here can help me out. Thanks in advance for any insights given into my problem.

Edit: I forgot to mention I installed the Samsung 960 Evo NVMe in the m.2 slot next to the chipset. The one that is under the heatsink. I did not use the DIMM.2 slot.
10 REPLIES 10

gupsterg
Level 13

Do you mean BOOT Q-LED?
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

You failed some pretty basic tech 101 stuff. Return your Threadripper to factory default speeds. Try that Evo in the DIMM.2 slot as well. First things I would have done before coming here. Back in the day when we were overclocking 500mhz K6-2's you would get weird issues like this past 610mhz on some boards, and others (ironically enough) like the ASUS P5A-B could cruise above 650 all day, depending on whether or not you hit the silicon Powerball and had equally impressive cooling. My Athlon XP overclocker would do the same if you got it up high enough it would stop recognizing drives or BSOD on boot up.
1950x / Zenith Extreme ROG / R9 290x 4gb / Win 10 Pro
K6-III+ 450mhz @ 550 / ASUS P5A-B / 3dfx Voodoo 5500 64mb / Win 98 SE

gupsterg wrote:

Do you mean BOOT Q-LED?

Yes, that's it.

And I realize I probably came to a forum for much more experienced people to come and ask questions, as implied by another user here, but there isn't many resources out there to figure out stuff for the x399 platform. If it's not ok to ask for some insight if I haven't tried every single troubleshooting solution then I guess let's close down this thread. I'm not going to turn off the PC to take out the GPU, SSD, etc. and try all kinds of new set ups, just to turn off an LED light. Sorry for having wasted a few minutes of your time.

I'll keep this open for a short time in case the quoted user has some knowledge on this, then I'll close it or have a mod close it.

Deedas wrote:
I'm not going to turn off the PC to take out the GPU, SSD, etc. and try all kinds of new set ups, just to turn off an LED light. Sorry for having wasted a few minutes of your time.

If you're looking for a magic fix it doesn't exist. The LED light is alerting you to a problem, either troubleshoot it now or suffer later.

Heini wrote:
If you're looking for a magic fix it doesn't exist. The LED light is alerting you to a problem, either troubleshoot it now or suffer later.

Got it. I won't find my magic fix or anyone having had this experience before here. I'll do a near equal amount of work to troubleshooting now if and when the boot drive fails. I'll go ahead and close this now.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi Deedas...take no notice...of course the forum is here to ask questions.

I'm not sure about an answer for this though. I would assume the first thing to do is to reseat the drive...clear CMOS and reset BIOS to F5 defaults and see if the light shows up again.

You have latest AMD chipset driver installed? Not sure that makes a difference but worth a try...

You could also reflash the BIOS, BIOS Flashback method...not EZ flash method in BIOS...

When you placed the SSD did you use the correct standoff and carefully align the heatsink before the thermal pad made contact with SSD?

gupsterg
Level 13
@Deedas

As Arne said don't worry forum is for you to ask 🙂 . IMO thread does not need closure/delete 🙂 .

j-d0gg from his post has 0 understanding of what you are seeing regarding the boost of CPU at 4.15GHz after updating UEFI. The Threadripper 1900X can boost to 4.2GHz whilst in the UEFI at stock/defaults, simply put this is due to Precision Boost/Extended Frequency Range (PB/XFR), not because you have OC from UEFI update.

On the main page of UEFI you will see a MHz, that is the all cores boost frequency, for your 1900X it should shown 3900MHz. Always in the UEFI on the right is Hardware monitor, I think there you have seen the 4.xxGHz, making you conclude you have OC. See my TR 1950X at stock as an example below.

Next you have G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz C14 4x 8GB kit, this will have Samsung B die that this platform luvs 😉 . It will also be single rank/sided, which again this platform favours if going for max MEMCLK/timings. DOCP/XMP of 3200MHz will work with ease on this platform with that RAM IC/kit :cool: .

Now let's get back to this LED 😄 . AFAIK that LED is green not amber. The manual for me seems wrong, my LEDs light as below colors:-

i) CPU (Red)
ii) DRAM (Yellow/Amber)
iii) VGA (White)
iv) BOOT (Green)

I will confirm with a good source and get back to you if the BOOT LED on a problem becomes amber 🙂 . As I also wish to know 😄 .

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger

Da Music video

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Maybe confusing PCIe lane light?

See this thread from the other day https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?100251-Dram-Q-Led-Is-Always-Lit

And yes, MANUAL is WRONG

Order is

DRAM amber
CPU red
VGA white
BOOT green

gupsterg
Level 13
And yes Arne is correct on order 🙂 , manual is wrong again 😄 .

I had thought perhaps OP is confusing it with PCI-E LEDs, but as I asked and he states BOOT LED I can only assume he is correctly telling us. But just to make sure I'll steal and post Arne's photo from another thread 😄 .

Deedas please confirm you are not seeing one of the 4 LEDs for PCI-E?

Da Music video