cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4x140mm exhaust fans vs 12x120mm intake fans?

Marko911
Level 8
Hi there,I'm in process of updating my x299 build,and I plan on installing third rad in my tt view 71 TG case.And I was planning on top to have 6x140mm exhaust in push/pull and rear 140mm exhaust fans and in front and side 360mm rad in intake push/pull fan config.All fans are NZXT aer RGB.(paid 300eur for them,can't throw them away) 😄
Is this in your opinion good configuration?
Any pro and cons for this config?
Thanks in advance for your help.
4 REPLIES 4

kkn
Level 14
try and have a balanced airflow in the case.
is the best i can advice.

two big things

positive case pressure goes a long way, you want more air coming in than what's going out

more fans doesn't necessarily equal more cooling, Linustechtips covered this pretty well in the Blowymatron episode (lol) essentially, a heatsink with more surface area and a normal fan will be as effective or more effective than just pushing more air over a smaller heatsink.

so, naturally a 3x 120 radiator is going to mop the floor with 1x 120 with a big fan on it. my advice, is the 6x 140s are going to in fact push more air than the 360 setup but how much material and how thick is that radiator on those things, and what material is it? Copper radiators are the king in heat dispersion.

Also with extra air you begin to approach the law of diminishing returns, past a certain point you just won't gain much. A bad ass radiator, made of copper with 3x 120mm pullers will perform just as well as a cheap aluminum radiator with 6 Blowymatron 186cfm push-pulls. My Threadripper cranked to the moon at 4.2ghz struggles to get above 50*C load with the same Liqtech cooler you have but I have the TR360 model and with the three pullers on the inside of the case it can provide 500w of heat dissipation by itself with the stock fans.

All those fans mean nothing if they're pulling it hot air too, my radiator is on the front of the case and away from other heat-generating sources. Throwing more fans at it doesn't necessarily mean better temperatures.
1950x / Zenith Extreme ROG / R9 290x 4gb / Win 10 Pro
K6-III+ 450mhz @ 550 / ASUS P5A-B / 3dfx Voodoo 5500 64mb / Win 98 SE

Korth
Level 14
I'm always apprehensive about fans sucking intake across a rad, very suboptimal, but sometimes we all do what we gotta do to get those rads mounted.

~16 fans placed everywhere is a very much more noise for very little cooling advantage over ~8 fans placed where they're needed.

That much spinning airflow might cause recirculation or dead air zones which trap heat pockets in various corners, sometimes less is more.

Aggressive airflow, depending on the fans either a positive-pressure or negative-pressure system (not a neutral-pressure system), either way a lot of dust and stuff will get sucked into the chassis, the only question is whether it'll build up in all the little chassis vents or whether it'll clog up the fans. I'm all for promoting airflow, but as pointed out above, increased airflow hits a point of diminishing returns while increased airflow only increases ingress of airborne gunk you don't want in the chassis.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Marko911...by my count that's 7 140 vs 12 120...however the push pull thing is way overrated so we'll just go with cross sectional area.

140x140x4=78400
120x120x6=86400

So you only have 10% more area as intake than exhaust...slight positive pressure...all good

Placement...sounds OK to me...front and side intake...flow over GPU...to exhaust top and rear...

Anyway....please watch this and get edumacated...the MOAR FANS THE BETAH!