cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with ROG MAXIMUS X CODE and DDR4 RAM 4133MHz (help)

iSAMx
Level 7
Hello, people, I will get a PC very soon but I need some help
so I'm getting this PC:

Core i7-8700K
ROG MAXIMUS X CODE
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB DDR4 4133MHz (F4-4133C19D)
etc..

Did I choose the right RAM or should I go for lower MHz The motherboard can handle Maximum 4133MHz but I saw this thread: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98079-Maximus-X-Hero-and-Gskill-4133mhz-compatibility

he has the same motherboard and RAM and he is complaining about the RAM, he said he cant get 4133MHz in the XMP profile and the PC will shut down and give him an error I really didn't understand what his problem exactly, so will I get the same problem should I go for lower MHz ram or did Asus update the bios ?
Thanks, waiting for a professional answer and explaining whats going on.

in case you don't want to click any links here is the thread I'm talking about :
Hello everyone, it's my first post in the forum.
Specifications:
- Motherboard: Asus Maximus X Hero
- RAM: Gskill F4-4133C19D-16GTZR
- Processor: i7 8700k
- Graphic Card: Asus Rog Strix 1080TI OC
- SSD M2 960 pro 512gb
I bought the ram without knowing that it was not compatible with the XMP profile of the motherboard, when I activate the XMP and it is set to 4133mhz, the computer does not turn on (error code 55).
Is there any way to solve this or do I have to buy another ram model?
Will they update the bios by making the ram compatible?
The version of the bios is 0213 (I have not updated for fear, since I've seen a post that says that the graphics card goes from x16 to x8)
Thank you all and sorry for my English.

5 REPLIES 5

Raja
Level 13
If you're looking for plug-and-play, stick with memory kits rated no faster than DDR4-3600. Above that speed, the system may need manual tuning, and there are also some CPUs that don't have good memory controllers.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
If you're looking for plug-and-play, stick with memory kits rated no faster than DDR4-3600. Above that speed, the system may need manual tuning, and there are also some CPUs that don't have good memory controllers.

OK, i don't have any problem with manual tuning I need an answer of my question does the RAM and Motherboard compatible or not will I get 4133mhz in the XMP auto or not?

iSAMx wrote:
OK, i don't have any problem with manual tuning I need an answer of my question does the RAM and Motherboard compatible or not will I get 4133mhz in the XMP auto or not?

Contradicting yourself slightly with that comment. It depends on a multitude of factors. Is the board capable of running that frequency? Yes.

However:

1) CPU variance means not all samples will work with XMP settings. The higher up the frequency spectrum you go, the less likely it becomes the CPU will POST without user intervention/manual tuning.

2) (As per the post you're directly replying to) It's always best to do a little research prior to purchasing memory kits, or purchase ones a few speeds down from the maximum obtainable freqency.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Chino
Level 15

Raja
Level 13
Yep. Stating that you don't mind manual tuning, and then asking whether the board will run things at auto settings is at odds. At speeds over DDR4-3600, nobody can be certain. There are too many variables.