Level 7
Hi,
I recently bought a prebuild computer with the following components
ASUS MAXIMUS VIII IMPACT
BALLISTIX 16GB DDR4
PENTIUM G6450
CRUCIAL 256GB SSD
only onboard Grafix, no drives but the crucial, no OS

I bought WIN 10 x64 and installed it from a thumb drive and also put in my old dvd burner and HDDs.
Everything worked like a charm!

I then bought a used GTX 770 from ebay and put it in the PCIe, connected all the power cables and when I wanted
to start up I got the Boot device LED turn on and no picture on the monitor (did not think to check the Q-Code at the time).
When I took it out again the PC worked flawless, no problem.

Some research on forums like this mentioned, that maybe the BIOS FW is too old and I apparently it had helped in other cases.
So I deleted the CMOS with the button on the back and updated the BIOS inside BIOS with the EZ whatever tool under "Tools".
This succeeded, as I can see in the BIOS the new FW version and new BIOS date.

When I want to start my PC now I get the same problem as before, BOOT DEVICE LED and Q-Code 32 and no picture on the monitor.
When I reset CMOS I can enter BIOS with F1, load defaults, change boot order etc, but nothing I do helps! Bear in mind this is WITHOUT
the grafix card, which worked before without issues!

I also started to take out other components e.g. RAM to eliminate them as cause, but since everything worked before the BIOS update
I don't see any of these can now be faulty?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!#
11 REPLIES 11

JustinThyme
Level 13
Check your memory timings. If you roll back your bios its no longer there?
This could also be bent pins on the CPU or curled corners.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Check your memory timings. If you roll back your bios its no longer there?
This could also be bent pins on the CPU or curled corners.

how do I do that? I figure it must have been something in the BIOS that was erased....

I didn't touch the CPU or anything else but the memory (only after the problem already occured).

So as the ballistix sport ddr4 2400 2x8gb are not on the compability list but it worked before, it must be something about the dram timings, right?
I am completely overwhelmed by the number of settings under timing control. Anyone can tell me the right settings for my ram and where to input it? Thanks

Morpheus1976 wrote:
So as the ballistix sport ddr4 2400 2x8gb are not on the compability list but it worked before, it must be something about the dram timings, right?
I am completely overwhelmed by the number of settings under timing control. Anyone can tell me the right settings for my ram and where to input it? Thanks

Ok, I am making progress.... I went back to default settings again and activated XMP. That correctly identified my type of RAM and all other settings. I then forced Grafics settings to internal. Now, when I want to boot "normally" I get nowhere. When I reset and enter BIOS pressing F1 and I select my windows boot manager with F8 my PC starts! I am currently writing this comment from it! So there is live. It's not the CPU or RAM that is broken, it's "just" some BIOS settings. How can I make it boot normally too? Next step, getting my PC to recognize the gtx 770...

Morpheus1976 wrote:
Now, when I want to boot "normally" I get nowhere. When I reset and enter BIOS pressing F1 and I select my windows boot manager with F8 my PC starts! How can I make it boot normally too?

Enter setup, go to "Boot", scroll down to "Boot option priorities", then make "Windows Boot Manager" first in the list. You must have yourself a UEFI install.

ondersma80 wrote:
Enter setup, go to "Boot", scroll down to "Boot option priorities", then make "Windows Boot Manager" first in the list. You must have yourself a UEFI install.

I have the Windows Boot Manager on my SSD first and the SSD second. I disabled all other HDDs in the boot menu.
Still no progress.....

Booting from inside BIOS works only with F8 and click on Windows Boot Manager.
When I just push the power button after shutting down I get nothing. (Q-Code 32)
Pushing power to turn the PC off and then on again lets me enter BIOS with F1.
If I just save and reset it's the same like cold starting. The only way to get the PC to boot is
by hitting F8 in BIOS and clicking the Windows Boot Manager.

Does Fastboot enabled / CSM auto have anything to do with it?
Any other ideas?

Thanks

disconnected all hdds but the ssd and make a fresh install of win10.
Problem is still the same.... Only boot out of boot manager in uefi works

Morpheus1976 wrote:
disconnected all hdds but the ssd and make a fresh install of win10.
Problem is still the same.... Only boot out of boot manager in uefi works

If only one drive is connected at the time of an OS install and the system doesn't boot automatically there is either defect involved or procedural flaw. Does Windows 10 restart/reboot successfully during installation? Does this problem start after you finish installation then reconnect other SSD/HDD?

If Windows 10 restarts fine during the installation and the problem starts after you reconnect other HDD, the order is still wrong or there is an old boot manager on one of those drives. If Windows 10 can't even install without you manually selecting the boot drive, try this:

1) secure erase that SSD - you can use your mfg tool or secure erase inside the ASUS UEFI.
2) Power off after the SE. Leave all other SSD/HDD disconnected.
3) Boot into UEFI and disable CSM. Save changes.
4) Boot to your Win10 install USB (or DVD?).
5) Keep all other drives disconnected and test booting or restarting.

ondersma80 wrote:
If only one drive is connected at the time of an OS install and the system doesn't boot automatically there is either defect involved or procedural flaw. Does Windows 10 restart/reboot successfully during installation? Does this problem start after you finish installation then reconnect other SSD/HDD?

If Windows 10 restarts fine during the installation and the problem starts after you reconnect other HDD, the order is still wrong or there is an old boot manager on one of those drives. If Windows 10 can't even install without you manually selecting the boot drive, try this:

1) secure erase that SSD - you can use your mfg tool or secure erase inside the ASUS UEFI.
2) Power off after the SE. Leave all other SSD/HDD disconnected.
3) Boot into UEFI and disable CSM. Save changes.
4) Boot to your Win10 install USB (or DVD?).
5) Keep all other drives disconnected and test booting or restarting.

Unfortunately Win10 does not install without me manually selecting the UEFI USB Stick on each restart.
I will try your approach, but the ASUS tool inside UEFI tells me my SSD is not supported and using it on unsupported drives will permanently crash them. What I will try instead is during Windows install to delete all partitions and Format the drive and then follow steps 2 to 5. Will comment afterwards.....