cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage VI Extreme Unable to Boot when XMP is on (G.Skill 4133)

TheOne_Emperor
Level 7
Hi all:

I encountered a very bad issue with my new built PC,

I was hoping to enjoy some gaming after I assemabled my PC but it refuse to POST after I entered BIOS and turn on XMP,

My PC is not able to POST with anything pass 3859Mhz (Dram Freq).

Please kindly help if you encounter similar issue or know what's wrong with my hardware.

Spec of my PC:
CPU - I9 7980XE
RAM - G.Skill F4-4133C19Q-32GTZRF (Quad channel, installed in A1 B1 C1 D1 as per the manual)
VGA - MSI 1080TI Gaming X
MB - ASUS Rampage VI Extreme
BIOS - 1102 X64 (newest BIOS at this moment)
Sound card - SB ZXR
HDD - 5 SSD plus 1 NVME SSD
PSU - Corsair AX1200i
OS - Windows 10 Professional

What I tried so far:

1) Input everything by hand, Multi Core Enhancement & Intel Turbo Boost is On, DRAM Freq set to 4133 with DRAM Volt set to 1.35, my PC refuse to POST with error code B0 (detect memory)

2) Input everything by hand, Turned off Multi Core Enhancement, only Intel Turbo Boost is On, DRAM Freq set to 4133 with DRAM Volt set to 1.35, my PC refuse to POST with error code B0 (detect memory)

3) Input everything by hand, Turned off Multi Core Enhancement, only Intel Turbo Boost is On, DRAM Freq set to 4133 with DRAM Volt set to 1.40 & VCCIO, VCCSA set to 1.25v, my PC refuse to POST with error code B0 (detect memory)

4) Use the Auto settings in BIOS, DRAM Freq set to 4133, my PC refuse to POST with error code B0 (detect memory)

5) Try using the XMP profile that comes with the kit, my PC refuse to POST with error code B0 (detect memory)

6) Using XMP profile, but lower the DRAM Freq. to 3589 Mhz, able to enter windows, but I experience slow down from time to time, I guess that not very stable... (the slow down is like, you have a steady 60FPS in the game, but suddenly it feels like 30FPS but you can clearly see the FPS didn't drop, and it backs to normal after a few mintues)

What other settings in the BIOS can I try? Could it be I got a faulty kit? or a faulty CPU? or the MB itself got issue?

I can't believe I just can't simply turn on XMP with such hardware that I have.

Thanks for helping.
15 REPLIES 15

Quozzo
Level 7
4133 is one hell of an overclock. I'm not even going to look but I would guess that RAM is not on the QVL for this MoBo?

Even if it is, the limit for the integrated memory controller (IMC) is lower than the speed of the RAM since it is made out of silicon and it still subject to the silicon lottery. Some CPUs will overclock better than others and that includes the RAM too.

tl;dr: the CPU can't handle those speeds.

side note: Is your username related to 40K? Im a BA fan myself.

Quozzo wrote:
4133 is one hell of an overclock. I'm not even going to look but I would guess that RAM is not on the QVL for this MoBo?

Even if it is, the limit for the integrated memory controller (IMC) is lower than the speed of the RAM since it is made out of silicon and it still subject to the silicon lottery. Some CPUs will overclock better than others and that includes the RAM too.

tl;dr: the CPU can't handle those speeds.

side note: Is your username related to 40K? Im a BA fan myself.

So am I out of luck? Any settings that I can adjust in the BIOS and hope it might work? (for 4133)

By the way, any tools that I use to test if my ram kit and the MB is working just fine?

I only used the following tools to test my system so far:

1) Memtest, in order to test all avaliable memory I have to run 16 instances, 14 of them reached 270% coverage without any error, 2 of them reached 135% without any error, this test was ran with DRAM Freq 3856Mhz (1.4v). can I say the kit should be fine or any other tools that I can use to test it again?

2) Prime95 (first 2 tests were tested with XMP on but lower the DRAM Freq to 3856Mhz, DRAM Volt 1.4V), got a BSOD in my first run, 2nd run didn't result in BSOD but received error almost in half of the cores. (around 9 cores stop working after received the following error "FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4 Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file
Torture Test completed 0 tests in 0 minutes - 1 errors, 0 warnings. Worker stopped." 3rd run was with XMP off, DRAM Freq set to auto, 2 cores encounter an error 15 mintues later. but I forgot to take a screenshot of the error message.

Thanks for your input.

PS: Nope, the username was a reference to NEO from Matrix. :cool:

CSN7
Level 7
Well if you informed yourself prior to the purchase with the hardware you have, you preferably want to stick to 3600, anything above you won't see any real world improvement besides nice Aida64 bandwith numbers. Hence even top overclockers stick to 3600 with low latency like CL12 / CL13 in many benchmarks.

Then again I can set XMP 4000 CL17 1.35v I can also push for 4200 CL15, actually have the bandwith WR on hwbot, but skylakeX doesn't really like anything above 4000. If you can't boot, look at Uncore voltage aswell the Rampage VI Apex auto raises Uncore to +450 with 4000 for example. I don't know if there are auto rules that consider 4133. If you can't boot it's probably timings related. Something needs to be losened up most of the time. Try to set tRFC higher. Or use a 4000 preset in the bios and dial in your CL19 values and go from there. Maybe it's just that you need more vDimm. Try 1.45v. Also don't forget to raise IO voltage to like 1.1v at least.

CSN7 wrote:
Well if you informed yourself prior to the purchase with the hardware you have, you preferably want to stick to 3600, anything above you won't see any real world improvement besides nice Aida64 bandwith numbers. Hence even top overclockers stick to 3600 with low latency like CL12 / CL13 in many benchmarks.

Then again I can set XMP 4000 CL17 1.35v I can also push for 4200 CL15, actually have the bandwith WR on hwbot, but skylakeX doesn't really like anything above 4000. If you can't boot, look at Uncore voltage aswell the Rampage VI Apex auto raises Uncore to +450 with 4000 for example. I don't know if there are auto rules that consider 4133. If you can't boot it's probably timings related. Something needs to be losened up most of the time. Try to set tRFC higher. Or use a 4000 preset in the bios and dial in your CL19 values and go from there. Maybe it's just that you need more vDimm. Try 1.45v. Also don't forget to raise IO voltage to like 1.1v at least.

Therefore I will try to archive 4000mhz first, is it save to set DRAM Volt to 1.45v? because I believe I saw the max safe voltage for G.skill's DDR4 kit is 1.4v (max)?

Yesterday I did some testing with Core VID at 1.25V, VCCIO & VCCSA at 1.28V, able to boot with 3900 mhz but very unstable, not able to run PRIME95 (my PC shut down when I press the RUN button"), and I experience slow down like I am having 60FPS but my mouse pointer is moving like 30FPS.

I will try again as per your suggestion with the following and report back if I can boot my PC with the 4000mhz settings.

Settings that I am going to try:
XMP = On
Multicore enhancement = Disable (actually did it really matters? can I leave it Auto or enable this one?)
BCLK = 100 instead of 103.4 (103.4 is the default value when you turn on XMP)
DRAM Fred = 4000mhz
Dram Volt = 1.45v (please kindly advice is it really ok to set it this high? I am a little worried because I saw 1.4 is the max safe value shown on G.skill's website)
VCCIO & VCCSA = 1.2 to 1.25V
Core VID = Auto (or do I have to input it by hand? if yes, how much should I start with? 1.18?)
Intel SpeedStep = Do I have to disable this?
Intel turbo boost = Enable
DRAM timing = 19 21 21 41 Command rate 2T as shown on the package for this kit

By the way, did you guys have the option "Maximum Tweak" in DRAM Timing,I can't locate this option in the BIOS. (my MB is Rampage VI Extreme Bios rev 1102 X64)

Thanks for your input. 😮

Menthol
Level 14
TheOne,
Try this select XMP, then set BLCK to 100.00
Memory = 4000
Vdimm = 1.4 to 1.45 volts , both channels
CPU VCCIO = 1.025 to 1.050
CPU System Agent Voltage = 0.80000 to 0.85000
PCH core voltage = 1.00625

I have the Apex, what memory presets are in your bios, look for new Samsung 4x8 gb, in Apex bios there is a good daily 4000mhz preset at 1.4 volts

Menthol wrote:
TheOne,
Try this select XMP, then set BLCK to 100.00
Memory = 4000
PCH core voltage = 1.00625

I have the Apex, what memory presets are in your bios, look for new Samsung 4x8 gb, in Apex bios there is a good daily 4000mhz preset at 1.4 volts

I will try it when I back home,

In my BIOS the name of the profile is called "Load Memory 4000mhz Settings", yesterday I tried this one but without any luck, it does boot but can't enter Windows (BSOD), the DRAM volt was 1.35. (preset)

Is it ok to set vDimm to 1.45 for 24/7 usage? as G.Skill recommmand it should not exceed 1.4v, also do you have an option called "Maximum Tweak" in DRAM timing? I can't found this option there.

And do you recommand enabling multicore enhancement? some people suggest that it should be disabled.

Thanks for your input.

Menthol
Level 14
Samsung B-die modules have no problem running 1.5 volts, I run 1.425 to 1.45 daily
Memory presets are in the memory subsection, different from the Load Memory 4000mhz settings
I can post a couple screen shots of the Apex bios later today
Multicore enhancement, really only for a boost when no manual overclock is applied

Don't check the 4000mhz preset here as some bios settings you can't see may be changed

My manual presets, don't use these

Set 1.4 volts 4000mhz preset HERE, double check and manually enter voltage (1.425 volts), frequency (4000) , after enabling this preset if needed

Menthol wrote:
Samsung B-die modules have no problem running 1.5 volts, I run 1.425 to 1.45 daily
Memory presets are in the memory subsection, different from the Load Memory 4000mhz settings
I can post a couple screen shots of the Apex bios later today
Multicore enhancement, really only for a boost when no manual overclock is applied

Don't check the 4000mhz preset here as some bios settings you can't see may be changed

My manual presets, don't use these

Set 1.4 volts 4000mhz preset HERE, double check and manually enter voltage (1.425 volts), frequency (4000) , after enabling this preset if needed

Sadly it failed, result as below:

Method 1:
"Try this select XMP, then set BLCK to 100.00
Memory = 4000
PCH core voltage = 1.00625" <-- Able to boot up my PC, got BSOD when my PC trying to enter Windows, the error message is Machine Check Exception

Method 2:
Use the preset profile you mentioned, put in the Dram Freq and volt by hand, my PC refused to boot, error message shown on the MB is "Check CPU".

Right now, I am using Method 1 but lower DRAM Freq to 3800 MHZ, but that's not the result I want to archive since I pay more for this kit so I really want to run it at 4133....or at least 4000 mhz. any other things I can try??

Also, besides Prime95 and Memtest, what other tools that I can test if my MB, memory and the CPU are fine? and I also want to test if my settings are stable for now (3800mhz).

Thanks for your input

CSN7
Level 7
Well you could try and clean the modules maybe some sticky fingerprints on the contacts but I doubt it's gonna help.

It looks like your MB or CPUs IMC can't handle it. It's not the most popular answer but high frequency isn't helping beyond 3600 anyway on Skylake-X as I mentioned previously. Because of quad channel you have way more bandwidth than you'd ever need. Low latency helps though 😉 I run a high binned 4000 CL17 kit at 3600 CL13 it's the best you can do. I recommend going for lower frequency and tighter timings. So look at it that way: you payed for a higher binned kit not for it to run at these speeds guaranteed. It will handle tight timings at lower voltages easier though.