Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog gl553vd lag problem

famouzr
Level 7
Hello,

https://imgur.com/9Lbd2Lh - TEMPERATURES

I facing some issue with my laptop. I was using it for programming only and playing some simple games like lineage2 (old). I wasnt facing such a issue but yesterday I started playing fortnite on optimitzed settings and game started lagging after 3-10mins of playing. FPS are stable 50-60 so I dont know where from lags come. It doesnt matter if I put it on low or high settings, its still lagging. I was thinking it was drivers but I noticed lags start when CPU/GPU temperatures are higher then 80. Is it normal for such a laptop or should I give it back to the support or maybe can I fix it by myself. Laptop is 10month old.

Also I had 3 bluescreens. One of error type was VIDEO_SCHEDULER_ITERNAL_ERROR.
Also one time laptop stopped working by itself (black screen, so I had to turn it on by myself) I think it was protection which stopped overheating.

Please, help me.

Is it normal?
Is it laptop problem or should I give it back to support?
11 REPLIES 11

famouzr
Level 7
I changed max CPU usage to 80% and it fixed the problem, I also opened my window, its cold outside so temperatures are LOWER XD Lags are gone but how can I fix that? to work with 100% CPU usage and in warmer temperature haha

Klaive
Level 7
Hi famouzr,

I have a GL553VD too and also had heat and thermal throttling issues since i first bought it a year ago. Setting max CPU usage to 99% in power options does help abit since iirc it disables Intel turbo boost for your CPU.

I have tried underclocking my CPU and GPU, but to no avail, the temp does take more time to heat up when underclocked compared to normal clocks, but it does eventually reaches the same 81~88 C. I think it may be due to ventilation problems so this month im planning to open up my laptop and see if theres alot of dust or something inside, and to check thermal pastes etc.

At first I thought that it may be because of our model build that is causing the heat but my friend who also has the same model only reaches to about 75~83 C during heavy gameplay.

Maybe you should consider cleaning your laptop up or if you are not confident in doing so, try contacting support. Good luck 🙂

EDIT : Also, i found that thermal throttling only happens when your CPU/GPU reaches 85 C, As long as it doesnt reach 90 C, most people would say its normal but less heat = better is true.
Timezone : GMT+8

Lord_Obsidian
Level 9
famouzr wrote:
Hello,

https://imgur.com/9Lbd2Lh - TEMPERATURES
I was thinking it was drivers but I noticed lags start when CPU/GPU temperatures are higher then 80. Is it normal for such a laptop or should I give it back to the support or maybe can I fix it by myself. Laptop is 10month old

Yep, it's normal for this laptops' cooling solution, and even not critical at all. Critical is 90+°C.
Out of box I got 80-85°C with peak value 88(89)°C and 78°C on GPU. As I get it, it's impossible to reach lower temps with such cooling system. To achieve stable 70°C on CPU/GPU I was made to disable Turbo Boost an set FanBoost at max 5200 RPM.
By the way, with 99% processor state you miss 100 Mhz CPU frequency. To get full nominal 2,5 Ghz call register editor (Win+R → regedit), go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00\be337238-0d82-4146-a960-4f3749d470c7 and in Attributes graph set "Attributes"=dword:00000002. Then in power plan options "Processor performance boost mode" will appear. Select "Disable".
Full list of modes:
dword:00000000 - Disabled - Don't select target frequencies above maximum frequency.
dword:00000001 - Enabled - Select target frequencies above maximum frequency.
dword:00000002 - Aggressive - Always select the highest possible target frequency.
dword:00000003 - Efficient enabled - Select target frequencies above maximum frequency if hardware supports doing so efficiently.
dword:00000004 - Efficient aggressive - Always select the highest possible target frequency if hardware supports doing so efficiently.

However, what I noticed (with HWInfo64) that with TurboBoost activated CPU cores start to throttle when one reaches already 80°C, but I noticed no FPS drops or lags during throttling even while 3-5h gaming session. If I get it right CPU throttles to prevent reaching high temps, not to cool down those it already reached. I never noticed temps reach 90°C on peak even while playing in summer. So, I thinks, lags are not because of thermal throttling. And with such temps there must not be thermal shutdown: latter occurs only when CPU temps reach 100°C or GPU reach 95°C.

Also, I got now 303 hotfix BIOS (GL553VD.303, 28.04.2017) and last win 10 update, and I have had no BSODs' for near a year I use my laptop (MATLAB/games).

Klaive wrote:
At first I thought that it may be because of our model build that is causing the heat but my friend who also has the same model only reaches to about 75~83 C during heavy gameplay.

Did I get you right your friend also has GL553VD and he got 75°C average/83°C max?

P.S.: however it seems that it's impossible to reach lower temps with 1 fan/2heatsinks, I wonder if there will be some ventilation improvement if one removes DVD-ROM. What do you think?

Lord Obsidian wrote:

Did I get you right your friend also has GL553VD and he got 75°C average/83°C max?

Yes, and he even ran a higher settings than me (and runs smoother), which is why I'm thinking if there's something wrong with my laptop.

Using the latest Game Center, I can see at what temp the GPU throttles (when Utilization changes to Thermal), and that is at 85C. Due to throttling, my GPU temp never went above 85 C but it also impacted my performance.
Timezone : GMT+8

Asus service told me to install another driver for graphic card and BIOS. It worked yeah. I could play with less temperatures and good performance for 1 day. The problem is that geforce experiance automaticlly installed newer version hah and still I'm facing the same problem.

I'm wondering if it manufacturer issue or it's something with drivers. If it was hardware issue, why were I able to play normally for one day? I'm waiting for another replay from them. Laptop was fine till now, I'm scared it is hardware issue and I will have to give my laptop to the service. Personally I dont want to do it cause Im working on it.

The funny fact is that it is not only me, getting such an errors so it might me ASUS fault. I saw few guys and even talked with one about that situation. Im confused

Okei I think I found a solution for this one.

I updated windows, BIOS to 306 and graphic card driver to latest and for past hour I dont have got any issues. Game is running very good. I will try to order cooling pad

Okei I think I found a solution for this one.

I updated windows, BIOS to 306 and graphic card driver to latest and for past hour I dont have got any issues. Game is running very good. I will try to order cooling pad.

famouzr wrote:
I could play with less temperatures and good performance

Are you still getting less temperatures and could you please tell, how exactly they changed?

I dont understand that, yesterday I was playing normally for more then 2 hours. I woke up today, opened fortnite and it's lagging again. Can someone explain this to me?