cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please HELP ME! Rog Maximus X Hero ATX Won't fit my Full Tower Case

somegod
Level 7
Hey Guys! I need some help, I'm pretty desperate right now.

I've bought a brand new Asus Rog Maximus X Hero and a I7 8700k to give my 5 year old PC an upgrade.

I've an Aerocool Xpredator Full Tower case, but no matter what I do, the motherboard won't fit the case because of the pre-mounted shield that comes with the MB.

I'm not willing to buy another case since this is supposed to fit. Is there any way that I can remove the shield, something? The shield is a bit large then the back space where the MB should be, and at the bottom of the MB shield there's a tiny curve of metal that it's preventing the MB from being installed.

What can I do? Please, help. I've bought a beast and I'm so eager to try it out, but I can't!

Hope anyone can share some ideas.

I'm coming from a Sabertooth Z77 + I7 3770k that fits perfectly with the case.
11 REPLIES 11

Nate152
Hi somegod

Welcome to the ROG forum.

That's strange the Maximus X Hero doesn't fit in your full tower case, can you show us some pictures of what's preventing it from fitting ?

Thank you

Nate152 wrote:
Hi somegod

Welcome to the ROG forum.

That's strange the Maximus X Hero doesn't fit in your full tower case, can you show us some pictures of what's preventing it from fitting ?

Thank you

Hey Natel, thanks for the reply 🙂

I've got so frustrated that I didn't take pictures while the board was on the case, but here is the thing (image below) and I'll try to explain:

This little bend at the end of the shield exceeds the size of the whole in the case and prevent the MB to fit, since the shield is a bit longer, the bend touches the metal on the case and literary slide the MB a bit, preventing the screws to align the wholes.

Nate152
Thank you for the picture,

If the I/O shield can't be removed, how about dremel tooling the case a little bit ?

Or maybe cut the curved piece off ?

JustinThyme
Level 13
I took the time to check out your case. Seems the cutout is a bit on he small side. I’ve put similar designed boards in a few different cases and not had problems and this is the first I’ve heard of such an issue.*

The options are limited. As already mentioned you can mod your case with a dremmel to open it up a bit or the board.
My personal choice would be to bite the bullet and get another case. *

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

brkkab123
Level 7
This isn't making sebe to me at all.
1. You say the pc and case are 5 years old.
2. DID YOU REMOVE THE OLD MOTHERBOARD'S BACKPLATE FROM YOUR CASE?
If you didn't do that of course your new motherboard won't fit properly, as the back panels on the 2 motherboards are different.

kkn
Level 14
do not cut enny thing of the board in case it would void warranty, just as a precaution.

Hey Guys! Problem Solved!

I removed the MB left cover (the big grey one that goes from top to bottom) to give access to the MB connectors and shield from the back. Once there, it was just a matter of removing the pre-applied I/O Shield, since it's held by two brackets. Very easy, nothing modified, bent in anyway, just removed.

Now the MB fits perfectly inside the case without it.

Indeed the shield was bigger then the case whole and would not fit otherwise, no matter what

I then have the shield "applied" from the outside of the case, where all of the cables connected hold it in place.

I've seen some people with the same problem as mine on different cases, kind of sad.

Thanks for everyone that tried to help.

-------------------

Cutting the case was never an option for me in case I need to sell the case in the future, since any standard I/O Shield would not fit anymore.

-------------------

brkkab123 wrote:
This isn't making sebe to me at all.
1. You say the pc and case are 5 years old.
2. DID YOU REMOVE THE OLD MOTHERBOARD'S BACKPLATE FROM YOUR CASE?
If you didn't do that of course your new motherboard won't fit properly, as the back panels on the 2 motherboards are different.

hahahahaha yes yes, I've removed the old MB shield XD

Nate152
Awesome somegod !

Yeah being the I/O shield is integrated I wasn't sure if it could be removed or not, good to see you were able to remove it and was an easy fix.

Nice going !

booya
Level 7
Same case, same MB and same problems. The faintly-looking plastic casing is removed.

I didn't have such problems with Maximus IV Extreme-Z and Rampage IV Extreme, because they was ATX/eATX, but X Hero, I don't know what is this. Problems with ATX standard or what? This rear panel looks odd. Look at ASRock Z370 TAICHI, they all did right. But ASUS no, they must be ahead of the whole planet.

And now I'm sitting and looking at this absurd, thinking what to do. CPU, water block and memory are already installed.