cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M.2 SATA SSD not recognized

BlackIceDragon
Level 7
Has anyone used a M.2 Sata drive in the 3rd slot on the board? The manual says that is supports Sata based M.2 SSD's in there, but I haven't had any luck getting mine to boot. Its a Crucial MX300 1TB. I had just used it in a ryzen build and it worked fine in the port on the gigabyte board. I also couldn't find anything in the manual that states any changes need to be made in the bios. Any help is appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10

BigJob
Level 10
It should have been auto detected, update bios to latest. If that doesn't work then try this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk-RRLugPJc

Unfortunately no luck. I am on BIOS 902. Removed all the other drives, and the system just goes into the bios but never shows the drive. Tried changing the CSM setting from UEFI to legacy as well still no luck. Its so strange that it cant see it.

BigJob
Level 10
Plug in the DIMM.2 module and plug the drive into that and see if it shows up. I assume you have the zenith?

Yeah its the zenith. Just tried in the DImm.2 slot and still not showing up. Just to be sure I'm gonna fire up my other system it was working in just to make sure the drive works.

BlackIceDragon wrote:
Yeah its the zenith. Just tried in the DImm.2 slot and still not showing up. Just to be sure I'm gonna fire up my other system it was working in just to make sure the drive works.

That would be my next step as well, might be a bad drive. Only time I didn't have a m.2 drive not auto show up was when I had a bad samsung. Hopefully crucial has a painless rma if need be.

Just gave it a shot and everything fires up fine on the other system with the drive. Must be something to do with my board or a setting. Might just have to get another NVME drive and stick with those since I know they work.

BigJob
Level 10
Reset bios settings, boot up with another drive, install crucial drivers on the drive, insert crucial drive into m.2 slot and see if it recognizes it then.

that's strange by the way.

also can you circle where the 3rd slot is ? "M.2 Sata drive in the 3rd slot on the board"
https://rog.asus.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=71979&d=1519801185

gupsterg
Level 13
@Bigjob

3rd slot would be item 15 IMO.

@BlackIceDragon

This maybe a bug, fill in the bug report form IMO.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

Ill fill in that report. Hopefully get it figured out here.