cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q-fan step up time

andyc26
Level 7
I've now had two maximus boards, an 8 ranger and X hero, and both have never followed my fan step up and step down bios settings. I have my CPU set to 3.6s step up and 12s step down, case fans at 0s step up and 25s step down, but my CPU fans still ramp up and down instantly eg. opening chrome will result in an instant boost in fan speed and than an immediate decrease once it's loaded. With chrome only taking less than a second to load, obviously my step up/step down settings are not being followed. My case fans are virtually silent at my q-fan settings, hence the 0s step up, coupled with the fact the lowest step setting is 25s for case fans. It is definitely the CPU fan spinning up and down instantaneously. FWIW I have 2x Noctua AF-15 PWM CPU fans.

Is this behaviour that others have had/are having with their Maximus boards?
I really want to avoid using AIsuite, but has anyone had any luck using that for fan settings? I know it's not a particularly big deal, and in the past I have just set a level fan setting across all temps, but having my computer on my desk it can get annoying having a symphony of fans going off under light to no load.

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before, but I tried searching "q-fan", "step up time" and got an error saying the words were too short.*
63 REPLIES 63

mcmarky
Level 8
Well it was discussed almost in this thread https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?99501-Question-About-Fan-Tuning-in-BIOS-vs-AI-Suite&p=7031...

Still so far no solution. I have set the CPU fan to accelerate at 47°C CPU Temp, so there are only a few ramp ups. If it is not good enough for use, then you should use Speedfan or Argusmonitor for fan control. These are the best programs for a smooth fan control.

mcmarky wrote:
Well it was discussed almost in this thread https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?99501-Question-About-Fan-Tuning-in-BIOS-vs-AI-Suite&p=7031...

Still so far no solution. I have set the CPU fan to accelerate at 47°C CPU Temp, so there are only a few ramp ups. If it is not good enough for use, then you should use Speedfan or Argusmonitor for fan control. These are the best programs for a smooth fan control.
Didn't know argus. Looks promising.
Do you know if it can test the max and low speed of the fans as fan xpert do?

mcmarky wrote:

Thanks for linking that thread, basically exactly that issue. I'll probably end up just setting a constant fan speed, as it's not the fan loudness that annoys me, but the change in speed and sound. I can get used to a loud fan setting after a while, it just becomes white noise to me.

I will however look into Argus monitor! I tried speedfan but just could not figure out how to setup fan profiles so gave up. I hope it's something Asus can look into with future Bios updates, but it seems a little unlikely if I've had the same issue across two different gens. No big deal, I like everything else about my Hero and Maximus boards but it is just a nuisance.

Thanks very much mcmarky, Argus is fantastic! The ability to name fans, set curves, set fan speeds based on an average CPU temp for the last X seconds, GPU temps and I could go on and on! Absolutely brilliant! It’s what fan xpert should be like.

Thats sounds good. If you like I can give a small tutorial to set Speedfan with a smooth fan profile for each fan, which depends on mutliple temperature sensors. But I need time for that, maybe at next weekend. But it is easy. So let me take some time in next few days.

namoi
Level 8
I tested Argus and it is great but it don't allow to really tweak pwm fans bellow their duty cycle.

Tygerion
Level 7
Same problem here with BIOS settings. In a whim I gave latest version of AI Suite a go to solve this problem and strangely enough, it seems to work fine without any bad side effect, unlike previous versions (... few decades?). Fan Xpert 4 has even GPU as a sensor source and after about week i'm still happy with it.

Raja
Level 13
I've asked for a replication on this. Let me know the make/model of fans and which headers they are plugged into.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Let me know the make/model of fans and which headers they are plugged into.

Problem: UEFI 1003 setting for fan spin up/down time doesn't do anything, fan spins up/ down immediately according to cpu load regardless of settings.
Fans: 2x Noctua NF-A15 PWM
Headers: CPU_FAN, CPU_OPT

Fan Xpert 4 seems to work correctly, not tested thoroughly. Autotuning completed in UEFI and AI Suite.