cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

memory management bsod

Beowulf6666
Level 7
Hello,

i should preface this by saying i have read most of the posts on this issue both on this site, tom's hardware and throughout google and i have tried everything suggested and i still havent found a fix, so i decided to ask you guys directly.

im wondering if this is a motherboard setting, or if there is something im missing or not getting

Im getting BSOD while playing games such as pubg, civ 6, starcitizen, kingdom come deliv with a bug check code: 0x0000001a and bug check string MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

- my system is brand new (3 months old)
- everything in it is brand new and worked fine up to about a week or so ago
- i have not made any changes to hardware or software (other than uninstall or install some new games via steam)

specs:
- amd ryzen 7 1800x
- asus rog crosshair hero vi
- 32GB 3200Mhz DDR4 rgb trident Z (F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR)
- EVGA 850W Gold Cert.
- samsung 850 EVO 1TB ssd
- EVGA gtx 1080
- win 10 pro

(the only things that i brought over from my previous intel build were the SSD, soundcard and videocard)

Here is what i have tried after reading up on this:

- used DDU to clean my video drivers and reinstall latest
- used memtest and ran at least 11 cycles on each stick of ram individually with zero errors/faults
- updated mobo bios to latest version (Version 6001 Beta Version2018/02/12)
- used driver booster to check for newer versions of drivers and update them
- ran the SFC scan (via admin) with no issues or files that needed replacing
- i even used the mem diag tool that comes with windows 10
- ran a chkdsk
- using my installed Bitdefender total security i ran thorough scans...just in case
- changed page file mem to 10gigs
- made sure windows is up to date (which it does auto...but nontheless)
- reformated and installed a fresh copy of win 10
- rolled back the bios to 3001 in order to check if the beta bios was at fault (which was latest)
- changed the timing and voltage of the ram from 16-18-18-38 @ 1.35v to 16-16-16-36 @ 1.35v and also tried 18-18-18-38 @ 1.35v

Im honestly either missing something or i've done something wrong, or... i dont know...thats why i've decided to ask the experts here. im at my wits end and could use your help guys.

Im more than happy to re-do any of my tests if you think its best. Let me know which one.
Also if you want me to paste any logs, or you need screenshots, let me know again.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
17 REPLIES 17

syldon
Level 9
Try Extreme tweaker/Tweaker's Paradise - VDDP voltage set between 0.885v, 0.9v or 0.915v. This was listed as a fix for your problem a long time ago.

However, because you have Hynix memory, have you tried lowering your memory clock speed.

Have you tried adding any additional timing values ? It would help if you added a bios txt file dump here.

Thank you for your reply!

i had previously set the timings to:
16-16-16-36 @ 1.35
18-18-18-38 @ 1.35

but i saw that G.SKill made an "AMD tested version" of this ram...which seems to be the exact same thing just with diff timings.
namely 14-14-14-34 @ 1.35v

i am currently running that and stress testing it with some games to see if it dies out on me again.

next thing i will try is what you suggested ( VDDP voltage set between 0.885v, 0.9v or 0.915v) and see if that works

i do not know how to do a bios txt file dump but i am good at following instructions 🙂

will keep u updated as i test out the new timings and the other settings you give me to try. Also...if you should give me instructions on the bios txt file dump i will upload that here in the meanwhile.

cheers!

EDIT: when i change the vddp voltage...should i return to the ram's default specified timings ? (i know that the lower the timings the more problems)

UPDATE:

the 14-14-14-34 timings made my games super unstable

i reverted back to default timings for the sticks....and i have changed the vddp to 0.9v as in auto it was fluctuating between 0.82 - 0.89

will keep testing

Beowulf6666 wrote:

specs:
- 32GB 3200Mhz DDR4 rgb trident Z (F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR)

Beowulf6666 wrote:

i had previously set the timings to:
16-16-16-36 @ 1.35
18-18-18-38 @ 1.35

but i saw that G.SKill made an "AMD tested version" of this ram...which seems to be the exact same thing just with diff timings.
namely 14-14-14-34 @ 1.35v

No it is not "same thing just with diff timings". It is completely different memory. You have different type or DRAM chips. Forget about 14-14-14 timings with yours because it is not samsung b-die. Stick to 16-18-18 and try to make it stable. Did you tried DRAM calculator?

BlackBishop wrote:
No it is not "same thing just with diff timings". It is completely different memory. You have different type or DRAM chips. Forget about 14-14-14 timings with yours because it is not samsung b-die. Stick to 16-18-18 and try to make it stable. Did you tried DRAM calculator?

firstly...thanks for the reply

secondly...ok...perfect...but i have no idea if that calculator works properly...or which settings i need to put into bios after it calculates?
also...another question is...should i first go into bios (and then use the calculator)...and manually set my timings and ram speed to what is written on the sticks? instead of the auto?
because i saw under auto...it looks like the timings and frequency is lower

i followed the instructions listed on the post / site for the calculator...but the numbers were all whacky...like smaller than whats listed on my sticks

Clouseau
Level 7

crashed again with the def settings and vddp @ 0.9v

will try the lower voltage u told me about next

The default settings are usually really bad for stability and performance for this board. This is why posts for the CH6 are like "War & Peace". People are having to learn how to set up memory from basics. It is very frustrating for new people.

I would ignore the information about the VDDP voltage change. It is only valid if you are set up with memory that passes some sort of memory check. HCImemtest is the one I prefer. I got it from recommendations. I found I passed on other memory stability checking apps, then failed on HCI.

For Hynix memory the best reports I have read have come from revision 6001. This is the one listed as the latest from Asus site. Update your bios using the flashback method. There is a guy who shows you how here. It is important that the usb stick you use is formatted to FAT32, and the file is renamed to C6H.cap.

Contrary to what Asus states, the flashback method is not 100% fool proof. Sometimes it does not always copy over the EC1 and EC2 versions. So before using the flashback option, it is a good tip to reset the bios to defaults using the reset button on the back of the board. And if you really want to be super safe: reset to default again after flashing, and then flash the bios a second time.

There is a tool that Clouseau linked.

Clouseau wrote:
have you tried this tool for reference:

Clouseau wrote:

http://www.overclock.net/forum/13-amd-general/1640919-ryzen-dram-calculator-1-0-0-beta-3-overclockin...
. It has helped some.

This tool does not work for me, but it has worked for many on the overclockers forum. If you want more information on how to use the tool, you would have to address the post linked.

Good luck with the set up.

i have had the bios updated to the latest version (6001 even though its BETA) but it crashed just as much.
i have had reset the mobo before i installed the bios...but i think my usb stick was ntfs and not fat32 and i also havent renamed the files to c6h.cap
so i will try those again, just to see if its g2g
will get back to u on results.