cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

immediate replies reqeusted ... triple monitor office PC content

Heini
Level 11
Question is ... Should one use a discrete GPU for an office only triple monitor (1080p) desktop? I have a Titan X and 980Ti on hand but don't don't want to use either unless there's an advantage to be gained.... what do you folks think?

Parts accumulated for the office build...
Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
ASUS TUF Z370 Pro Gaming
Intel i7-8700 (non-K)
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15)..."colors match the MB, haha"
Noctua NH-D15
Asus Black 12X BD-ROM(BC-12B1ST)
Samsung 960 PRO Series - 512GB
Windows 10 Pro | USB
9 REPLIES 9

Nate152
Hi Heini

For three monitors you'll want a discrete gpu.

The TUF z370 pro gaming has two video outputs, HDMI and DVI-D.

I might give her the 980 Ti, which 980 Ti and monitors do you have ?

Just want to make sure your 980 Ti has the outputs for her three monitors.

Heini
Level 11
Both gpy's have DP, HDMI and DIV outs. The trouble starts with trying to run three monitors from a switch with a laptop as a possible source with the desktop. HDMI didn't work out so we're going to try DVI. Either way I'm ready to load Win 10 Pro when I decide if I need to use a discrete gpu or not and you've answered that question, Thanks!

Nate152
You will need a discrete gpu for three monitors.

Do the monitors support Displayport and does the 980 Ti have three Displayport outputs ?

Would like to know what 980 Ti and what monitors you're using. More importantly, the outputs of the 980 Ti and the connectivity options of the monitors.

Are the three monitors the same make and model ?

Heini
Level 11
I opted for the 2015 Titan X so she has a helluva strong office machine. XMP'd the memory to 3000 and Win10 Pro loaded easily so it's up to her and her son-in-law to figure out the monitor stuff and load any other software. Guess I'll give the AMD Vega FE to her son and I'll be out of extra parts and get back to Hitman, lol.

Nate152
Cool, that's one heck of a nice office pc, it sounds like you have it all done and ready to go.

I bet she'll like it alot. 🙂

Did you happen to notice the orange led's that light up the one edge of the motherboard? I bet that looks good in a black case.

Heini
Level 11
"Did you happen to notice the orange led's that light up the one edge of the motherboard? I bet that looks good in a black case."
The case has no window and while I was in the I forgot to turn the light off so it's shining in the dark. Sure is a quiet case though.

Nate152
Oh ok, is the titan X liquid cooled or air cooled ?

Either way, with the stock cooler heat gets exhausted out of the case, this will help keep it cool inside.

CPU temps all good ?

Heini
Level 11
" is the titan X liquid cooled or air cooled ?"
It has an EVGA ACX cooler made for the Titan X. Some time in the future I'll add a couple more case fans.

kkn
Level 14
980TI have 3 DP . 1hdmi and one dvi-d.