cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any experience with bios 306 to GL553VE?

Larrodan
Level 8
Hi,

I have just seen that there is a new update. Anyone tried it? Does anyone know details what is it for?

Thanks,
Tom
14 REPLIES 14

Lord_Obsidian
Level 9
Hi everyone!
Is BIOS 306 for GL553 that BIOS update fixing Spectre/Meltdown issues?

Lord Obsidian wrote:
Hi everyone!
Is BIOS 306 for GL553 that BIOS update fixing Spectre/Meltdown issues?

No, the fix come as a simple update from windows update
https://www.asus.com/ae-en/support/FAQ/1035323?_ga=2.207859666.1583970820.1513019567-485287008.15091...

i notice that all the bios have the same size and asus doesn't mention anyting about the changes but only "Optimize system performance"

mmohamed2 wrote:
No, the fix come as a simple update from windows update
https://www.asus.com/ae-en/support/FAQ/1035323?_ga=2.207859666.1583970820.1513019567-485287008.15091...

For meltdown - yes, but spectre patches need microcode update from OEM manufacturer to be fully activated.

fedess
Level 7
Larrodan wrote:
Hi,

I have just seen that there is a new update. Anyone tried it? Does anyone know details what is it for?

Thanks,
Tom

Hi, I would also like to know more details about this update, before flashing it!

Anyone flashed this version? noticed any change?

afterall i did it and updated all drivers too... i didn't notice anything. have to use max performance in nvidia if dont wanna bsod, my wifi keeps disconnect if i use asus driver not the old microsoft one.... it's a crap.

i m with bios 305 yet, i hope someone kindly give us a change log 😞

Larrodan wrote:
afterall i did it and updated all drivers too... i didn't notice anything. have to use max performance in nvidia if dont wanna bsod, my wifi keeps disconnect if i use asus driver not the old microsoft one.... it's a crap.

in my case the bsod started since windows updated to v1709 and it was "issued" with BIOS version 304. After flashing, I have never had bsod again, but sometimes the application crash (windows still running). To fix this also need to set max performance in nvidia... so somehow the problem persist, and will probabbly be fixed with newer driver from nvidia?
Just for you to know, after bios updated I did a clean driver installation, removing previous version with "driver fusion", the free version.

I don´t have the wifi driver issue you mention... but sounds like a common fail of windows drivers (I issued that on other computers).
You can try some cleaner (like ccleaner) if you haven't done so, and reinstalling driver again.

My exact laptop model is GL553VE-DS74, so maybe your wifi card is different than mine

fedess wrote:
in my case the bsod started since windows updated to v1709 and it was "issued" with BIOS version 304. After flashing, I have never had bsod again, but sometimes the application crash (windows still running). To fix this also need to set max performance in nvidia... so somehow the problem persist, and will probabbly be fixed with newer driver from nvidia?
Just for you to know, after bios updated I did a clean driver installation, removing previous version with "driver fusion", the free version.

I don´t have the wifi driver issue you mention... but sounds like a common fail of windows drivers (I issued that on other computers).
You can try some cleaner (like ccleaner) if you haven't done so, and reinstalling driver again.

My exact laptop model is GL553VE-DS74, so maybe your wifi card is different than mine

Yeah, bsod came with 1709, no vga bug in 16xx, but still doesn't matter which nvidia driver i use latest-greatest or pack from asus site. If I dont set force-max-performance it's a fix bsod if i alt+tab my game. (and when i tried to force my win to stay on 16xx it just fell apart to small pieces after a few weeks... and i had to reinstall)

Wifi card is a different story. I have rtl8723be. It was already crap in 16xx not just in 17xx. The best solution for me is to use the old ms driver what came with win10. But i had enough and I bought an 5ghz ac usb stick.... but daaamn... i don't understand why they don't put an ac card in, maybe it's more expensive with about 5$? Not this old halfdead 'n'.