cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VRM temps

woppy101
Level 7
Guys just a quick question what temps should my VRM’s be reaching with a 4ghz OC 1.4v vcore 1.2V SOC? I monitor my temps and have never seen my VRMs get over 70c under heavy bench and when gaming never get a over 50c. Also what is the PCH? Those temps hold steady at 50-55c. * *Does those temps sound right or may I have a borked temp sensor?
13 REPLIES 13

JustinThyme
Level 13
Full system specs please....
The nature of a thermal diode is to fail open. In laymans terms....they work or they dont. Accuracy is dependent on the source.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Full system specs please....
The nature of a thermal diode is to fail open. In laymans terms....they work or they dont. Accuracy is dependent on the source.

1920x @4ghz
X399 Strix
EVGA 1080ti
32gb LPX 3200mhz @3200mhz
Custom loop*

woppy101 wrote:
1920x @4ghz
X399 Strix
EVGA 1080ti
32gb LPX 3200mhz @3200mhz
Custom loop*

Hey woppy101...

Can I just ask if you have tried a P-State overclock on your CPU...and if you have...does it downclock and downvolt?

I set P-State here and the CPU downclocks but does not downvolt at idle

My RB stress test temps here https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?99129-Goodbye-Intel-hello-AMD/page10#post706336...I guess having the system out in the fresh air on a test bench helps...VRM doesn't go above 40:)

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hey woppy101...

Can I just ask if you have tried a P-State overclock on your CPU...and if you have...does it downclock and downvolt?

I set P-State here and the CPU downclocks but does not downvolt at idle

My RB stress test temps here https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?99129-Goodbye-Intel-hello-AMD/page10#post706336...I guess having the system out in the fresh air on a test bench helps...VRM doesn't go above 40:)
*no mate I haven’t tried P-state overclocking because I’m not quite sure how to do it*

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
What is your ambient temp and is your MB in a case and does it have any VRM cooling apart from the onboard heatsink fan?

The PCH is the chipset...under the heatsink with the M2 slot nest to SATA ports

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
What is your ambient temp and is your MB in a case and does it have any VRM cooling apart from the onboard heatsink fan?

The PCH is the chipset...under the heatsink with the M2 slot nest to SATA ports

my ambient temp is between 22-24c, my motherboard is in quite a large case and has no additional VRM cooling but I do have a triple rad directly above the VRM heatsink pushing air out of the case, which I presume is pulling air over the heatsink.*

woppy101 wrote:
my ambient temp is between 22-24c, my motherboard is in quite a large case and has no additional VRM cooling but I do have a triple rad directly above the VRM heatsink pushing air out of the case, which I presume is pulling air over the heatsink.*

OK so yeah, more or less sounds normal to me 🙂

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
OK so yeah, more or less sounds normal to me 🙂

happy with that then, I just thought they would be much higher considering how much juice I’m giving the chip*

woppy101 wrote:
happy with that then, I just thought they would be much higher considering how much juice I’m giving the chip*

What is "under heavy bench"?

I have Be Quiet Dark Base 900, front is modded to full mesh and top panel has some mods to aid exhausting of air. Heated water from CPU/GPU loop enter top rad which fans act as exhaust, 360mm. Water then goes to front rad which is again 360mm, but fans act as intake, case also has a 140mm fan as exhaust.

I can hit max 97°C for VRM, OC 3.95GHz 1.325V on 1950X, when stressing with P95 (custom 8K 4096K 13000MB).

Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video