cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All USB ports not working after restart (Strix-e)

JonRedcorn
Level 7
I installed microsoft VC redist 2008 edition trying to get a program to work it prompted me to restart the pc, on boot all USB devices ceased functioning, I am unable to enter the bios or do anything at all with the computer, I went and bought a PCI USB card no luck with that either. The ports have power apparently since it charges my phone, yet none of my devices light up at all when plugged in, the keyboard mouse, ect nothing indicating they have power. Everything else turns on fine, takes me to the american megatrends screen and says no keyboard detected along with 0 keyboard 0 mouse 0 hub ect. I am going to RMA the board but I am trying everything I can think of before I have to. Really wish ASUS put a damn PS/2 connector on the board.

Any ideas of what the hell could possibly be going on? Everything was working perfectly before hand no signs of trouble prior.
28 REPLIES 28

Raja
Level 13
Have you tried clearing cmos? If that doesn't help, switch off the psu, and remove the battery from the board for a few minutes. Then reinsert battery and power back up to check if the usb devices initialise once the os boots.

I tried all of that, I can't get into the os now since it wants me to enter the bios to set it up since resetting it. I even bought a usb pci card to try that route and had no success. I can't imagine at this point what I could possibly do, do to the lack of being able to interface with the computer. I opened an RMA and will be sending it back. If it had a ps/2 port I could possibly get in, or even a flashback button like the slightly more expensive boards.

Raja
Level 13
You may want to check if the drive with the os installation is at the top of the boot priority list. If not, the board will enter uefi.

Hello All

Just came across this thread and other on the forum with regards to our non functioning USB ports on our STRIX-E MB....What the heck is happening to our MB ?!?

I've done exactly the same as other folks here on the forum have done to resolve this - hours spent - rebooted, updated drivers, bios upgrade, cmos battery, fresh install of windows, change settings in the BIOS settings, fast / normal boot, windows 10 regedits, etc, etc...all concludes with the fact that USB 2.0 and USB 3.1 are not simply functioning !

The only way I managed to get access to the bios and windows - is the one and only USB 3.1 Gen 2 port was still working and I had MS mouse-without-borders, installed on another PC so I could at least use a mouse to navigate...but thats not the point - I want all my USB ports to be working not just one !

The bottom line, something is very wrong with the bios code ...its can't be coincidence that other STRIX-E motherboards have experienced this issue - practically at the same time - one evening everything is good - the next morning - dead USB ports - and nothing changed !

ASUS Team we need some indepth diagnostic here...simply asking about what USB devices are plugged into our MB - isn't going to solve this issue...its much deep rooted than that....

I'm going to give it another 24 hours before I give in and get this replaced / refunded with 'another' MB...only had it for less than 2 weeks...

Help...

Raja@ASUS wrote:
You may want to check if the drive with the os installation is at the top of the boot priority list. If not, the board will enter uefi.

It doesn't matter it wants me to enter bios to recover the settings, it won't boot to anything right now. Apparently this isn't and isolated incident and even on newegg within 2 weeks 2 reviews have stated their USB ports have died. This is my first Asus product and I am highly disappointed.

JonRedcorn wrote:
It doesn't matter it wants me to enter bios to recover the settings, it won't boot to anything right now. Apparently this isn't and isolated incident and even on newegg within 2 weeks 2 reviews have stated their USB ports have died. This is my first Asus product and I am highly disappointed.

Was the system overclocked before this situation occurred?

Which uefi version is the board using?

List everything plugged that was plugged into the board, also.

I need this info to ask for a replication. Can't do much without it. If the replication comes back negative, I'll request your board be shipped to hq.

And just a note to anyone else joining the thread: we are not mind readers. You need to supply all relevant info if you expect us not to ask questions on what you have already tried. Look at the opening post; it doesn't state what debugging steps were tried. In such instances, one has to go through a process of zeroing in on the problem. Do not join the thread with a mere 'me too' and expect to receive a response. Thanks.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Was the system overclocked before this situation occurred?

Which uefi version is the board using?

List everything plugged that was plugged into the board, also.

I need this info to ask for a replication. Can't do much without it. If the replication comes back negative, I'll request your board be shipped to hq.

And just a note to anyone else joining the thread: we are not mind readers. You need to supply all relevant info if you expect us not to ask questions on what you have already tried. Look at the opening post; it doesn't state what debugging steps were tried. In such instances, one has to go through a process of zeroing in on the problem. Do not join the thread with a mere 'me too' and expect to receive a response. Thanks.

Sorry for the lack of info.

Cpu was oc'd to 4.8 ghz. It is an 8700k.

Bios version was 0430 XMP was enabled in bios for ram. I had set a fan curve in the bios as well. Trying to think of anything I touched, LLC was on 6 I believe. Voltage to the cpu was at 1.35 I believe I am not 100% sure about that though it could of been lower. Computer was completely stable as far as I could tell, had been using it since october when I got it. At these settings as well.

I had a microsoft sidewinder keyboard usb, logitech g9x usb mouse, oculus headset, 2 oculus sensors, steelseries arctis 5 headset that was all for usb. A saitek 290 joystick may have been plugged in as well I can't remember exactly.

Graphics card is a 1070 evga FTW

Seasonic focus plus gold 750 watt psu 4 months old

This is exactly what happened.

I was installing msi afterburner (brand new install of windows 10 reformatted) it gave me an error upon launching it a side by side error to be exact.

I then proceeded to install Microsoft VC redist package from 2008, it prompted me to restart the pc and I did. Upon booting windows it came up with a acpi bios error in a blue screen, it restarted and attempted an auto repair. I didn't even notice yet but all my USB ports were dead. (they all have power since my phone will charge yet they wont power keyboards or anything besides my phone) it kept doing this auto repair and acpi bios error blue screen, I then removed the cmos battery to reset the bios. That's the screen I am at now where I can't enter setup to adjust settings after the reset. I have no way to interface with the pc. I tried a usb pci card no luck. I tried different keyboards, different usb slots nothing works. The only plugs I didn't try are the usb -c slots since I don't have an adapter. I took out my ram and tried using one stick ( trident z 3200 mhz 2x8 gig sticks) no luck. I removed the graphics card and reseated it multiple times. The cpu was fine no bent pins I never touched the inside of the computer while this occurred until I started troubleshooting. Any more info you need I'll be happy to provide. I have an rma open right now and im in the process of taking the board out to be shipped. I do have an i3 8350k I could put in the board just to see if it works, I have a ton of parts. It's mostly apart but the mobo is still in the case it wouldn't take long to put the i3 in.

I'd also like to add that after I reinstalled windows about a month ago, I had my oculus plugged in and it would keep disconnecting, although I believe this was due to the nvidia drivers I was using at the time. I installed a different set of drivers and the problem went away. I can't remember the exact driver number but it was not the latest build that I was on at the time of the issue.

Also Raja if I may ask have you heard about this issue at all on the Maximus Code series boards? I am probably going to buy another board since I can't really wait for the rma to complete to get my computer back up and running and the code series looks very promising due to how many USB ports it has on it. I just don't want this to happen again and seeing it happening on the Hero board is not making me confident. The code board is 300+ dollars. Just like to hear if you've seen this problem happening on those, do they use a different USB setup?

Hey guys, this is due to a recent windows update.

Grab update KB4090913 from Windows Update or Windows Update Catalog, that should fix the issue.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4090913/march5-2018kb4090913osbuild16299-251

stainlineho wrote:
Hey guys, this is due to a recent windows update.

Grab update KB4090913 from Windows Update or Windows Update Catalog, that should fix the issue.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4090913/march5-2018kb4090913osbuild16299-251

If this is the case then windows owes me a new motherboard. Unforunately Asus didn't bother to add a ps/2 connector on their expensive mobos so I am out of luck.

Raja I replied to your post in detail on the last page. Is it possible this could have caused the issue? I just find it weird that windows could shut down the USB ports even before loading up?