cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hanging on restart or shutdown w/ Windows Server 2016

PsyberEMT
Level 7
After giving my 1950x and Zenith Extreme a test drive for a little over a month I decided to put it into production as my primary workstation for my part-time consulting job. To be compliant with Microsoft Hyper-V OS licensing I had to switch to Server 2016 Datacenter from Windows 10. I remember there being an issue with restarting and shutting down early on with Windows 10 but it either went away or I found a fix for it and have since forgotten it. There have been no hardware, firmware or UEFI changes between clearing the OS RAID array and installing Server 2016. This exact config worked perfectly as a Hyper-V host under Windows 10, I just have to change to the server OS for license compliance.

After installing Server 2016 when I shutdown or reboot from within Windows the machine hangs for around 15 minutes on a black screen. Sometimes it does finally shut down or reboot, other times it hangs until I press the physical reset button.

Hardware:
Zenith Extreme
1950x
0902 UEFI (and tried the latest 0002 beta, same issue)
2x Samsung 950 PRO NVME in RAID 0
Multiple SATA SSDs and HDDs in various RAID arrays using an LSI 9217-8i HBA/RAID controller
32GB (2x16GB) Corsair LPX DDR4 C16 running stable at 3200mhz
Enermaxc Liqtech TR4 360
EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid

Troubleshooting steps I've already tried:
Applied latest chipset and RAID drivers directly from AMD
After much struggle I got all ASUS drivers installed either manually through device manager or by using the secondary setup.exe
Disabled fast startup in UEFI
CSM completely disabled (pure UEFI environment)
Disabled Hyper-V
Enabled Hyper-V
Switched the on-board SATA to/from RAID & AHCI. Neither worked.
Ensured that HPET is disabled.
I am on the latest builds of every driver and software update I can find.

Would appreciate any input anyone can give me. Anyone else successfully running Server 2016 with no issues?
13 REPLIES 13

ragepaw
Level 7
I have this issue on my Win10 box. So far, the only thing I have seen that fixes it for sure is a reinstall.

Grrr! Not what I was hoping for lol.

JoeCos
Level 7
I know you are on a Win server, so what worked for me might not for you. I have Win 10 Pro, 64 bit and had a restarting/shutdown problem where it will hang. So, i took the advise of one forum member - Off computer, Off Power Supply, Unplug power supply. Leave unplug for at least an hour. In my case, i left unplugged over night - at least 8 hours.
It worked for me - restarts and complete shutdown are now normal.

See if that works. Best of Luck.

Will give that a shot tonight and report back. Thanks!

Tried the no power thing and no luck :(. Also manually updated all chipset drivers with the latest and greatest directly from AMD and no help. I suspect this is a power management issue with X399 and Server 2016. I think it was fixed in the 1709 builds of Windows 10, but that release has only made it to Server 2016 in Core form with no GUI, so I can't test that.

lightknightrr
Level 7
Aside from the initial bugs, I have Server 2016 (Standard Edition) running pretty well.

Why are you running 2x Samsung 950 PRO NVME in RAID 0 mode? Just...curious...

And I have a LSI 9361-24i installed in mine. I boot the system from SSDs in RAID 1 configuration (through the RAID card).

There's a lot of voodoo involved in getting the thing to boot properly; however, once it's done, it seems fairly solid (Corsair RAM rated for 3200Mhz, running at 2666Mhz at the moment (until I finish weeding out that incompatibility)).

I had no issues getting it to boot from the RAID 0 once the drivers were installed. Getting the RAID configured initially was another story entirely lol.

I am a technical consultant for public safety agencies, specifically focused on GIS (geographic information systems) and MS SQL. On the GIS work especially I work with extremely large data sets. The performance of the applications I use are most heavily impacted by storage performance. The faster the storage the less time I spend waiting on geoprocessing. Some of the processes I run take upwards of 24 hours...with the NVME RAID lol. Without it they are 1.5-2 day processes. In-depth SQL work obviously benefits as well, especially when I'm creating maintenance plans and need to test things like reindexing a 500+ GB database.

PsyberEMT wrote:
I had no issues getting it to boot from the RAID 0 once the drivers were installed. Getting the RAID configured initially was another story entirely lol.

I am a technical consultant for public safety agencies, specifically focused on GIS (geographic information systems) and MS SQL. On the GIS work especially I work with extremely large data sets. The performance of the applications I use are most heavily impacted by storage performance. The faster the storage the less time I spend waiting on geoprocessing. Some of the processes I run take upwards of 24 hours...with the NVME RAID lol. Without it they are 1.5-2 day processes. In-depth SQL work obviously benefits as well, especially when I'm creating maintenance plans and need to test things like reindexing a 500+ GB database.

A question/suggestion.
Could you try using ASUS RAMCache II aswell, with a sizeable amount of RAM assigned to it?
RAMCache acts like a buffer where everything read/written to or from disks are stored in memory first and then flushed to disk in the background.
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/Utility/RAMCACHE_II_Win10_V10506_20170822.zip

lightknightrr
Level 7
But, dear God, it's RAID-0. That's just striping! If either of those NVME SSDs fail, then you lose data for both drives!

Anyway, post a screenshot of your Device Manager, on the affected machine, specifically any information about devices which are not working properly / installed correctly. I'll compare it to my configuration, and we will see if we can't find a solution.