cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet Problems with ROG STIX x299

Gwydion_Wolf
Level 7
Hey folks.

So, freshly built PC all put together, using a ROG STRIX x299 E-gaming mother board. Got everything set up, and its running great. Untill i try to hook up the Ethernet cable rather than using the wi-fi antenna.

Using the Wifi i get between 180-300mbs, With the Ethernet? less than 1mbs.

Thought it was just the cable under the house, so replaced that, still happening.. Wifi.. get decent speeds, use Ethernet, i might as well be on dialup with a 14.4k.

Did some searching, and turns out the problem 'may' be linked to useing XMP settings to boost up my Ram to what its listed speed is.

When i use the XMP Settings, and get the pc up and running stable, everything but the Ethernet is working fine. I go into the BIOS and check a setting that someone mentioned might be causing the problem and yup.. its off.

The Setting?: BCLK Frequency

Apparently, if its over 100, it causes the Ethernet to foul-out on the motherboard?

With XMP Set on, it sets the BCLK Frequency to 103.4

If i turn off XMP, and set it to Auto though, my RAM speed drops down to 1/2 of what it is rated for.. if i try to set the setting to Auto, and try to manually set things.. i then cant change the voltage on the RAM to match what the XMP has it set to..

Am i missing a setting somewhere?

OR does someone know what 'else' might be causing my Ethernet to be total crap? 😞
7 REPLIES 7

Raja
Level 13
You may be able to get the perf back by manually setting the DMI link speed and/or adjusting Source Clock Tuner (which affects the DMI reference frequency). BCLK changes can affect these settings. If they don't help, you'll need to use 100 BCLK.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
You may be able to get the perf back by manually setting the DMI link speed and/or adjusting Source Clock Tuner (which affects the DMI reference frequency). BCLK changes can affect these settings. If they don't help, you'll need to use 100 BCLK.

Manually changing the BCLK down to 100 fixed it! though i lost a few hz on the RAM speed 🙂 had to drop it to 3800 even, rather than 3929-ish, it was running at. (not that big a deal as long as its 'close' to its listed 4100-speed and doesn't fubar my Ethernet card. 🙂

One thing that threw me off.

The boxes for voltage levels, and the BCLK frequency were 'grey' background, making me think i couldn't edit them... wasn't till i saw another random thread mention that someone else didn't realize they could just 'type in' and have it change, that i decided to do the same thing and yup! Works!, even though the box is grayed-background as if it couldn't be edited :confused:

I know BIOS is a bit limited color-wise... but having an option that 'can' be eddited, grayed-out, sorta makes it look as if it can not be eddited :confused:

Wonder if there's any way they can chose a 'different' type of background for those to let people know that there is a possibility they can be changed even if their 'back-grounded' with a color :cool:

Any-who... speeds of the Ethernet are up to 300mbs down now, and the usual 24mbsup, when with the BCLK at 103.4, it was at like... 14.4kbs down, and 24mbs up XD

Gwydion_Wolf wrote:
Manually changing the BCLK down to 100 fixed it! though i lost a few hz on the RAM speed 🙂 had to drop it to 3800 even, rather than 3929-ish, it was running at. (not that big a deal as long as its 'close' to its listed 4100-speed and doesn't fubar my Ethernet card. 🙂

One thing that threw me off.

The boxes for voltage levels, and the BCLK frequency were 'grey' background, making me think i couldn't edit them... wasn't till i saw another random thread mention that someone else didn't realize they could just 'type in' and have it change, that i decided to do the same thing and yup! Works!, even though the box is grayed-background as if it couldn't be edited :confused:

I know BIOS is a bit limited color-wise... but having an option that 'can' be eddited, grayed-out, sorta makes it look as if it can not be eddited :confused:

Wonder if there's any way they can chose a 'different' type of background for those to let people know that there is a possibility they can be changed even if their 'back-grounded' with a color :cool:

Any-who... speeds of the Ethernet are up to 300mbs down now, and the usual 24mbsup, when with the BCLK at 103.4, it was at like... 14.4kbs down, and 24mbs up XD

No problem. Glad it helped. You can always get back to tweaking, at a later date.

Chino
Level 15
You won't notice the difference in speed in normal usage. So, there's nothing to worry about. Your PC is still top-notch.

Chino wrote:
You won't notice the difference in speed in normal usage. So, there's nothing to worry about. Your PC is still top-notch.

Not to brag, but mostly to show off my excitement..... the current PC Build i just did with Tax Return money :cool:

Case: Thermaltake View 71 RGB 4-Sided Tempered Glass Vertical GPU Modular E-ATX Gaming Full Tower
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING LGA2066 DDR4 M.2 USB 3.1 802.11AC WIFI X299 ATX
CPU: Intel Core i9-7900X Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB 360mm Radiator
Memory: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 4133MHz (PC4 33000)
Video Card: NVIDIA TITAN Xp Star Wars Jedi Order COLLECTORS EDITION
OS HD: Samsung 960 EVO Series - 250GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V6E250BW)
SC HD: Samsung 960 EVO Series - 500GB NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V6E500BW)
Files HD: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-76E500B/AM)
Game HD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-76E1T0B/AM)
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower iRGB Pluss 850W

i know.. all that power and only 16gigs of ram... i ran out of budget 🙂 getting back up to 32 Gigs will be the first thing i do later on 🙂

Gwydion_Wolf wrote:

Not to brag, but mostly to show off my excitement..... the current PC Build i just did with Tax Return money :cool:

Case: Thermaltake View 71 RGB 4-Sided Tempered Glass Vertical GPU Modular E-ATX Gaming Full Tower
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING LGA2066 DDR4 M.2 USB 3.1 802.11AC WIFI X299 ATX
CPU: Intel Core i9-7900X Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB 360mm Radiator
Memory: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 4133MHz (PC4 33000)
Video Card: NVIDIA TITAN Xp Star Wars Jedi Order COLLECTORS EDITION
OS HD: Samsung 960 EVO Series - 250GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V6E250BW)
SC HD: Samsung 960 EVO Series - 500GB NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V6E500BW)
Files HD: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-76E500B/AM)
Game HD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-76E1T0B/AM)
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower iRGB Pluss 850W

i know.. all that power and only 16gigs of ram... i ran out of budget 🙂 getting back up to 32 Gigs will be the first thing i do later on 🙂

Just make sure to purchase a single 32 GB memory kit. Don't go mixing and matching now. 😉

Amurtigress
Level 7
Gwydion_Wolf wrote:
Hey folks.

So, freshly built PC all put together, using a ROG STRIX x299 E-gaming mother board. Got everything set up, and its running great. Untill i try to hook up the Ethernet cable rather than using the wi-fi antenna.

Using the Wifi i get between 180-300mbs, With the Ethernet? less than 1mbs.

Thought it was just the cable under the house, so replaced that, still happening.. Wifi.. get decent speeds, use Ethernet, i might as well be on dialup with a 14.4k.

Did some searching, and turns out the problem 'may' be linked to useing XMP settings to boost up my Ram to what its listed speed is.

When i use the XMP Settings, and get the pc up and running stable, everything but the Ethernet is working fine. I go into the BIOS and check a setting that someone mentioned might be causing the problem and yup.. its off.

The Setting?: BCLK Frequency

Apparently, if its over 100, it causes the Ethernet to foul-out on the motherboard?

With XMP Set on, it sets the BCLK Frequency to 103.4

If i turn off XMP, and set it to Auto though, my RAM speed drops down to 1/2 of what it is rated for.. if i try to set the setting to Auto, and try to manually set things.. i then cant change the voltage on the RAM to match what the XMP has it set to..

Am i missing a setting somewhere?

OR does someone know what 'else' might be causing my Ethernet to be total crap? 😞

I have the same board as you, however this reminds me of my previous Gigabyte X79 based system. The onboard Intel LAN would fail or behave weirdly (slow) at anything above 100 MHz BCLK. It even caused the EFI to reset CMOS settings, so whatever I did on that board, I had the onboard LAN disabled and went over to using a used server NIC.

Atheros Wifi worked fine, Intel Add-On cards, Realtek and Broadcom too. Basically everythiung BUT the Intel LAN.

Just thought I'd mention that....

My advice would be to look for server surplus online stores and grab some intel I340-T2 card for something around 25-30 USD or Euros.