cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB stopped working on ROG Maximus X Hero Wifi

RyanBRZ
Level 7
Today I was browsing the web, everything working perfectly fine, I then went to reboot to BIOS to adjust my fan curves and when I pressed Delete to get to BIOS it did not work. I ended up at the Windows 10 login screen and both my keyboard and mouse were not working. I tried rebooting, clearing CMOS, removing CMOS batery, different USB keyboards and nothing will work. My Corsair K70 LUX keyboard lights up but does not work and my RGB mouse does not even light up.

I tried all USB ports and I get the same result. I then tried plugging my keyboard into a USB-C to USB connector/adapter and that made my keyboard work. So it looks like my standard USB jacks are all dead while the USB C still works. I have feeling I will need to RMA the board but wanted to see if anyone had any ideas before contacting ASUS support and doing the RMA process.
12 REPLIES 12

A Windows update cannot affect USB functionality within BIOS.

This is not a windows KB generated issue...software cannot harm hardware / bios and knocked out ports in this manner...

Gone and changed my MB for another brand - couldn't wait - thankfully I can afford to do so....other folks may not be in the same position.

I can easily buy another mobo but I chose not to as I have another PC i can use in the interim which I am on now. Asus said 7-10 day turnaround which is ok, assuming this is accurate. I may end up buying something else if the turnaround time is not legit.

Raja
Level 13
The Hero qualifies for cross-shipping within the US. Not sure if you went with that option or not.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
The Hero qualifies for cross-shipping within the US. Not sure if you went with that option or not.

Well Darn I guess the strix-e doesn't qualify for cross shipping? Wish I spent the extra 50 bucks I've been slacking and haven't removed my motherboard yet to send out for RMA. Still debating on getting a new board.

JonRedcorn wrote:
Well Darn I guess the strix-e doesn't qualify for cross shipping? Wish I spent the extra 50 bucks I've been slacking and haven't removed my motherboard yet to send out for RMA. Still debating on getting a new board.

I'm not sure if those models are covered, Jon. You'll need to ask the person setting up the RMA.

How does cross shipping work? Suppose I get a brand new mobo and pay what they ask then they get mine and fix it, do I send the board back and reinstall my original board?

RMA status was "in repair" for a few days. After 5 days my status is now "in final testing". Hoping they ship me out a new board in time to rebuild next weekend.