cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G551JM Laptop stuck on ROG Logo after swapping windows/linux boot order, No bios

AnditsGone
Level 7
Hi,

It's been a week now since my G551JM is stuck on ROG logo and won't boot anything, nore bios screen.

This happened after I swap order of boot between windows and linux in the bios, since then, nothing won't start (USB, CD, With or without SSD).

I managed to start EZ Flash utility and flash the bios with latest bios available, but still nothing changed even after a CMOS reset...

Do you think the problem come from the Bios or any other component? What should I do? Repogram the EEPROM?
3 REPLIES 3

Clintlgm
Level 14
You can get rid of the Linux, do an in-place upgrade of Windows 10 and that might fix your boot sector, Then study up on how to dual boot Windows 10 and Linux. I think your only problem has you screwed your boot sector with Linux.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Thanks for your answer, but I have allready tried that.*

At first *USB was still working, so i removed my HDD to force boot on USB, and erase the linux partition and fully reinstalled windows. Still no bios was available with HDD plugged and computer would not boot. So i took off the HDD, Switch the bios to legacy mode and... Nothing was booting at all even the bios.
Thus I flashed the bios, which took me back to uefi screen but still nothing is working. With or without HDD plugged in.*

PS: i dont think the problem Comes from a Bad linux installation, i've Been dual booting for 15years, 3 Years on that computer. Ok it's a bit more difficult with uefi, but i'm pretty sure the problem came eather from a corrupt boot file of win10 eather from uefi itself, and me choosing to install win10 back instead of doing a live linux session to check the problem.

AnditsGone wrote:
Thanks for your answer, but I have allready tried that.*

At first *USB was still working, so i removed my HDD to force boot on USB, and erase the linux partition and fully reinstalled windows. Still no bios was available with HDD plugged and computer would not boot. So i took off the HDD, Switch the bios to legacy mode and... Nothing was booting at all even the bios.
Thus I flashed the bios, which took me back to uefi screen but still nothing is working. With or without HDD plugged in.*

PS: i dont think the problem Comes from a Bad linux installation, i've Been dual booting for 15years, 3 Years on that computer. Ok it's a bit more difficult with uefi, but i'm pretty sure the problem came eather from a corrupt boot file of win10 eather from uefi itself, and me choosing to install win10 back instead of doing a live linux session to check the problem.

Bios's menu screen should work W/O any HDD installed...i.e you can boot linux livecd w/o any hdd installed on system, either using legacy boot or uefi method.

sounds to me that you might have one of the following:
1. bad/fault HDD ( reallocated sector with high count or any other problem that might be with HDD/SSD.
having problematic HDD on a system can cause delay in bios boot, i.e that the bios does not finishes its internal checks, thus bios's boot menus are not avaliable.
2. bad/fault RAM stick - if one of the RAM stick is damaged - BIOS menues might not show as well.

what I suggest you do:
1st understand if your HDD/SDD is damaged by connecting it to a KNOWN WORKING computer.
Then, ONLY if HDD is OK, then disconnect ALL OF THE RAM sticks, clean their metal connectors with 70% Ethanol or better IsoPropyl Alcohol ( dump cotton wool with them ) AND LET THEM DRY BY THEMSELF ( NO FORCED HEATING with dryer etc..)
make sure that the RAM slots on the motherboard are clean from dust as well... use the same alcohols I mentioned to clean them, make sure there's NO cotton wool leftover is on the slots/cards.

Lastly, please AVOID using Easy-Flash since it can BRICK your eeprom.
update bios using AFUwin ( in win or winPE environment ) or AFUdos under dos.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]