cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8700k overclocking and my cinebench score - where to go from here?

elucid
Level 7
Attained a 1602 score at 5.0Ghz (1.290v). Ram is stock at 2133Mhz (16gb) because my system doesn't like the XMP configuration (go figure). AVX offset is set to 3. I basically followed der8auer's guide and everything is rock solid.

* https://imgur.com/a/EaJZW

* https://valid.x86.fr/g93j8w - CPUZ validator.

I don't really like the temps I'm getting running IBT and Realbench (mid 70's on avg) so I'll likely dial the OC down. I just needed to see what my CPU was capable of whilst not delidding on an AIO 280mm. Moreover, my case (enthoo evolv atx) isn't really ideal for airflow.. I'm just thankful I reside in an area where it doesn't get that hot during this time of year.

So the question is, should I delid even If I have absolutely no experience in this? Or should I dial the OC down?

Some other questions -

1. Now that I hit a stable clock, can I re-enable cpu svid support or should I leave it disabled?
2. Regarding my motherboard temp reading in HWiNFO64, temp2 is showing 56c and PCH is 50c - is that normal? Is my disabling SVID support conflicting and giving me wrong readings here? Sorry for being ignorant, I'm rather new at overclocking.

Thanks for your help!
14 REPLIES 14

elucid
Level 7
Crickets. Nice to know this board can be so helpful :rolleyes:

jpmboy
Level 9
1. whether or not you enable CPU SVID depends on the voltage control method you used. Setting this to Auto is best since it works with manual override or adaptive/offset.
2. You need air flow over the PCH heatsink. CPu SVID will have no impact on the on-board DTS reports (temperature)
3. 8700K does best delidded, but even at stock the IPC is so good the performance is "very snappy".
4. leaving ram at default will dampen performance significantly.

Get additional help here: http://www.overclock.net/forum/6-intel-motherboards/1640168-asus-z370-motherboard-series-official-su...

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Stress tests are, of course the hardest thing you'll run on your CPU normally. So, if you are mid 70s at 5.0 I'd say that was OK....for everyday use or gaming you won't be anywhere near that...

Delid is simple...do you have the disposable cash for a new CPU? Yeah...go for it...get a delid tool...be careful...easy enough to do...

If not don't...because you void warranty and it's easy enough to bork too!

Easiest performance increase would be getting your RAM to run at rated specs...what's up there? You mixed kits or something?

I don't have that platform so the svid thing I have no idea...wrt enabling disabling

However that won't be affecting your temp readings

Unfortunately having no definite label makes things harder but 56 looks like VRM temp maybe? and 50 for PCH is pretty normal in a case.

Thanks for the responses, lads.

Regarding my ram kit, no - i'm not mixing ram. I'm using the g.skill trident z rgb 2x8gb @ 3200 (cl 16).

Perhaps XMP is a little wonky because I'm using an older bios version though. Maybe I should've tried upping the voltage. Again, I'll do some more tests when I get home from work.

I'll keep you gents posted. Thank you again for the reassurance regarding the mobo temps.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
If XMP is not working maybe try setting the RAM up manually...3200 should not be much of an ask for that CPU...

Have you tried each stick individually on the correct slot? just to make sure both are good...

My ram kit is fine as it passed all tests. I should've mentioned prior to posting but the XMP profile works (it's just that I get a double post during cold startups). What's a safe voltage for these kits anyway?

Regarding my OC'd 8700k now.

I've adjusted my current settings.

LLC - 6
AVX Offset - 0
4.8ghz (non de-lidded) at 1.210v

Max temps were 59c running IBT (5 times) and 72c running realbench. Idle I'm at 25c.

http://i.imgur.com/QI209SS.jpg

At stated before - I was able to hit 5.0Ghz stable at 1.290v with an avx offset of 3 - I just didn't like the temps, nor the fact that I was using an avx offset. For myself, using an avx offset is cheating.. I'm sure I could achieve 5.0Ghz with a 0 avx offset at 1.35v, but I have no plans on de-lidding (at least not yet) so I'm completely fine with my current settings/temps. Moreover, the 200mhz difference is very negligible in the real world.

Is using an LLC of 6 too high for this voltage? Should I drop it to 4-5? Sorry for all the questions.

elucid wrote:
it's just that I get a double post during cold startups

That is perfectly normal for these boards...just part of RAM training, as I understand it, at certain settings. Nothing to worry about..not a malfunction.

AVX offset isn't cheating...it's sensible management. It's like saying a guy working in a field is cheating, putting on a hat when the sun comes out...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
That is perfectly normal for these boards...just part of RAM training, as I understand it, at certain settings. Nothing to worry about..not a malfunction.

AVX offset isn't cheating...it's sensible management. It's like saying a guy working in a field is cheating, putting on a hat when the sun comes out...

Thank for the reassurance yet again, sir.

I ran AIDA64 for 8 hours last night (just to be sure my oc was stable). Well, turns out it blue screened 3 hours into the stability test. Needless to say, I had to bump the voltage just a tad and now everything is perfect (1.216v). I'm pretty confident If I decide to de-lid, I'd be able to comfortably hit 5.1/5.2Ghz @ 1.35/1.38v. XMP is enabled now as well.

Thank you, everybody. You've all been very patient and helpful 😉

Retired
Not applicable