cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot access BIOS screen

Retired
Not applicable
I've owned this notebook for about six months, having replaced it once through Best Buy due to the GSOD issue.

Once I got the replacement, I immediately grabbed the 211 BIOS update, flashed it, and everything has been running pretty much normal, with no further issues. I also own Windows 7 Professional from my old gaming computer, so moved that over to the G73jh a couple months ago.

Over the past several days, small issues have been developing:

• Windows 7 'Restart' stalls at a black screen for approximately 30 seconds before restarting,
  • Windows 7 'Shutdown' never does Shut down. Stalls at black screen until I manually hold the power button for 8 seconds (have left it overnight and it still hadn't shut down),
  • I cannot access the BIOS. 'ESCAPE', F2, 'DELETE', and even clearing the BIOS with paperclip through hole in bottom have failed. Instead, 'ESCAPE' and 'F2' take me to a 'Windows 7 Boot Menu'. Removing both hard drives does not remedy this, as any of those buttons states a boot device is missing.
  • Windows 7 loads fine. It appears to not have any issues at all, in fact.
  • I've run tests on the HDD's, and all come out clear.

The BIOS menu simply doesn't appear. This last part started overnight last night.

I was told to take the notebook to Best Buy for service. The Gimp Squad employee told me to send my laptop in for service, and I won't get it back for 8-10 weeks.

8-10 weeks? Really? Is there any sort of expedited service I can pay for? 8-10 weeks seems like a long time to have to be forced to be without a computer, especially when I use it for work and for gaming (I sold my gaming PC to make room for this notebook).

Any suggestions or ideas?
3 REPLIES 3

xeromist
Give V2-V3's info a shot here:
http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?529-ASUS-Republic-of-gamers-Notebook-Warranty-amp-RMA
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
Update: I can now access the BIOS screen using any of the default options. I've no idea why it failed previously, but suddenly it works again.

I still feel frustrated that the turnaround time takes 8-10 weeks. I understand that Best Buy is a service partner, and they told me at least 10 weeks (they would need to ship it off).

Now, to see about fixing the issue with it not shutting down when I want it to...

Chastity
Level 10
Now that the BIOS is available again, I would definitely have the BIOS "Reset to Defaults" When you flashed, some CMOS info may have gotten corrupt, and thus the odd behavior.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]