cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single core - 100% CPU - high interrupts on ACPI

iransofaraway
Level 7
Hi folks. I bought an Prime X299-Deluxe and a Core i9-7900X - I've had them for months now but keep having a random issue. Sometimes, after rebooting, one of my cores will be maxed at 100% constantly, and checking DPC interrupts shows ACPI.SYS is the culprit. No amount of rebooting, changing drivers, etc seems to correct it - rebooting sometimes fixes it - if I shut down completely and power off the system for like five minutes, then boot back up, the problem sometimes goes away. Sometimes I have to swap around PCI-E cards. It's just bonkers. I've built many computers in my life, and know what I'm doing, but this has me stumped.

I found this other user on Reddit having the same problem: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/7puiip/win_10_bug_acpisys_always_maxes_out_one_of_my_cpu... - and I have that same motherboard and SSD, but slightly different CPU. The Microsoft tech in that thread seemed to indicate that they looked at the logs and it's possibly an issue with ASUS?

Has anyone experienced anything like this on their X299 hardware? Any tips/ways to get it fixed? I'm already running latest BIOS firmware for my board, and latest drivers on everything.
86 REPLIES 86

restsugavan
Level 13
iransofaraway wrote:
Hi folks. I bought an Prime X299-Deluxe and a Core i9-7900X - I've had them for months now but keep having a random issue. Sometimes, after rebooting, one of my cores will be maxed at 100% constantly, and checking DPC interrupts shows ACPI.SYS is the culprit. No amount of rebooting, changing drivers, etc seems to correct it - rebooting sometimes fixes it - if I shut down completely and power off the system for like five minutes, then boot back up, the problem sometimes goes away. Sometimes I have to swap around PCI-E cards. It's just bonkers. I've built many computers in my life, and know what I'm doing, but this has me stumped.

I found this other user on Reddit having the same problem: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/7puiip/win_10_bug_acpisys_always_maxes_out_one_of_my_cpu... - and I have that same motherboard and SSD, but slightly different CPU. The Microsoft tech in that thread seemed to indicate that they looked at the logs and it's possibly an issue with ASUS?

Has anyone experienced anything like this on their X299 hardware? Any tips/ways to get it fixed? I'm already running latest BIOS firmware for my board, and latest drivers on everything.

Hmm Have you ever reseat CPU ? any picture for discuss about your configuration? :cool:
W11CANARY 26085.1 Core i9 7980XE 02007006 MCE ME 11.12.95.2499 R6E OFFICIAL BIOS 3801 SAMSUNG OG9 FW 1019.0 SSD 970 EVO PLUS 1 TB x 3 NVIDIA RTX 4090 GAME READY 551.86 64GB GSKILL DDR4 3200MHz JBL 9.1 Sound Bar DTS-X

restsugavan wrote:
Hmm Have you ever reseat CPU ? any picture for discuss about your configuration? :cool:

No, I have not tried re-seating my CPU. The computer is working fine except for this random ACPI issue I described. I do not believe re-seating the CPU would help that. It seems like a bug in the BIOS or some other component of this motherboard.

I'm not sure what other information you want, but here's all my specs:

ASUS PRIME X299-DELUXE Motherboard with latest BIOS (1102)
Windows 10 64bit, with latest patches
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Armor 8G OC Graphics Card
Intel Core i9 7900X, no overclock
Corsair Vengeance RGB 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 2666 (PC4-21300) C16 for Intel X99 PC memory CMR64GX4M8A2666C16
Samsung 960 PRO Series - 1TB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V6P1T0BW)

Thanks!

iransofaraway wrote:
No, I have not tried re-seating my CPU. The computer is working fine except for this random ACPI issue I described. I do not believe re-seating the CPU would help that. It seems like a bug in the BIOS or some other component of this motherboard.

I'm not sure what other information you want, but here's all my specs:

ASUS PRIME X299-DELUXE Motherboard with latest BIOS (1102)
Windows 10 64bit, with latest patches
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Armor 8G OC Graphics Card
Intel Core i9 7900X, no overclock
Corsair Vengeance RGB 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 2666 (PC4-21300) C16 for Intel X99 PC memory CMR64GX4M8A2666C16
Samsung 960 PRO Series - 1TB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V6P1T0BW)

Thanks!

your memory are not in the qvl asus

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2066/ROG_RAMPAGE_VI_EXTREME/Intel_CoreX-Series_CPU6-core_abov...

sell this memory or return it and buy g.skill for this board or something certified

what is your power supply ?? case etc post all components
MB: ASUS RAMPAGE VI EXTREME-CPU: Intel Core i9-7920X Processor Extreme Edition 4.2 GHZ auto-CORSAIR Hydro Series H80i v2 Video: GEFORCE GTX 1070 Founders Edition. - G.SKILL 32GB 14-14-14-34
F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR- Seasonic PRIME Titanium 850 w-SSD: Samsung SSD 850 PRO 2TB x3 -SSD: Samsung 950 PRO M.2 512GB OS-Sound Blaster Z -Intel Ethernet Server Adapter I210 CASE:Cooler Master: HAF X MONITOR:IPS LED LG 27" 27UD69P 27 inch 4K 5 ms TV: LG OLED55C8P OS: Windows 10 x64 Pro up to date

Upgraded to latest 1301 BIOS today - after shutdown/reboot - the issue came back.

Few more hard shutdowns (shutdown Windows, power off PC) - and the issue is gone again.

I do not have the TBT card currently installed. And the problem has happened with it installed and without - so I don't believe it has anything to do with this issue.

Sigh. Frustrating to deal with this on such an expensive board.

iransofaraway wrote:
Upgraded to latest 1301 BIOS today - after shutdown/reboot - the issue came back.

Few more hard shutdowns (shutdown Windows, power off PC) - and the issue is gone again.

I do not have the TBT card currently installed. And the problem has happened with it installed and without - so I don't believe it has anything to do with this issue.

Sigh. Frustrating to deal with this on such an expensive board.

Hi iron,

When you put off the tbt 3 board, did you disable tbt3 in bios and unplug for few minutes the power cable, this is very important. If you don't do that, issue stay.
Normally if you kill every tbt 3 option and unplug, issue disappear (core 2 normal and no acpi interrupt, pc run smooth for me).
Don't worry about psu quality, got the issue on corsair ax1200i, enermax 850W and no name 600w... And i have also memory in QVL list and try other sticks.
And the issue happen with a full fresh window 1709 or 1706 install with all drivers uptodate and without drivers on different ssd (intel 900p, samsung 950 pro and 960 pro) like I say in previous post.
Only thing i found with electic input is one time, removing EZ plug kill the issue for 1 week but don't think you have it on x299 deluxe.

in my case, i can control the issue with activation desactivation of the tbt 3, it's why i insist about full desactivation on your X299 deluxe (TBT3 is deliver with mtherboard). People have the issue without this card but crtizia have like me nvidia video card.... don't try with a amd one.
Somebody got the issue with amd one?
It's the only thing i haven't test but i don't think is the good way where making search.
like i say before i try 2x 7900X, differents ram stick and number (1stick to 8 stick corsair and g.skill) in and out QVL, 3 new X299R6E, 2 different brand of TBT3 add in card and 3 different PSU, windows version and SSD.
Also all the differnts bios since the release of the board and latest me intel version.
I have also desactivate intel turbo in windows pop up, mfc driver in bios mode.

Crtizia have you other pcie card in your computre? Silent scone have you a nvidia video card or other pcie add in card?
what is your intel turbo setting?

Ulos.fr wrote:
Hi iron,

When you put off the tbt 3 board, did you disable tbt3 in bios and unplug for few minutes the power cable, this is very important. If you don't do that, issue stay.
Normally if you kill every tbt 3 option and unplug, issue disappear (core 2 normal and no acpi interrupt, pc run smooth for me).
Don't worry about psu quality, got the issue on corsair ax1200i, enermax 850W and no name 600w... And i have also memory in QVL list and try other sticks.
And the issue happen with a full fresh window 1709 or 1706 install with all drivers uptodate and without drivers on different ssd (intel 900p, samsung 950 pro and 960 pro) like I say in previous post.
Only thing i found with electic input is one time, removing EZ plug kill the issue for 1 week but don't think you have it on x299 deluxe.

in my case, i can control the issue with activation desactivation of the tbt 3, it's why i insist about full desactivation on your X299 deluxe (TBT3 is deliver with mtherboard). People have the issue without this card but crtizia have like me nvidia video card.... don't try with a amd one.
Somebody got the issue with amd one?
It's the only thing i haven't test but i don't think is the good way where making search.
like i say before i try 2x 7900X, differents ram stick and number (1stick to 8 stick corsair and g.skill) in and out QVL, 3 new X299R6E, 2 different brand of TBT3 add in card and 3 different PSU, windows version and SSD.
Also all the differnts bios since the release of the board and latest me intel version.
I have also desactivate intel turbo in windows pop up, mfc driver in bios mode.

Crtizia have you other pcie card in your computre? Silent scone have you a nvidia video card or other pcie add in card?
what is your intel turbo setting?

No other pcie card.*

I can also confirm disabling TBT3 in the bios solves the problem which is the same as described by other users.

Yes!!! Now hopping we will have a raja answer or official answer and maybe a fix one day. Since October on this thread or others, we never have official answer on this issue... it's like they know but they want to forget it... It is critical for professional use of this high end workstation motherboard... and also the issue is on a lot of asus x299 motherboard like x299 deluxe which is deliver with thunderboltex 3 card...
Maybe if more people do the test and post about this we will have a fix.*

Critza says on Reddit forum he have asus answer where they said they can't replicate... for me never have any useful answer from asus France... just clear cmos... Check bios versions , check drivers ... 3 days to one week between each mails and no constructive exchange. Super uber support for a 650€ board...

I have the exact same problem and I am ALSO running a ThunderboltEX 3 card. I'm using this as a work computer, I have been in touch with ASUS support for 3 months about this issue and their support is woeful. Like others, a true solution is never offered and they don't seem to understand the problem.

Is there something we can do as community? There are a lot of us having this issue - should we start compiling a list of case numbers dealing with this issue so that they understand that it's a thing multiple people are dealing with?

I have no idea what else to do to get ASUS' attention, and for this price tag we shouldn't be left in the dirt with a faulty working combination of products that are advertised (TB3 and Prime X299).