cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to spot if the gpu is dying or if the board is the reason - help

masterac
Level 8
hie to all, and join me for a crazy story

i use 3 monitor, up to know there was 1 weird issue with all of them, if i was to get up from my chair, all the monitor would flicker for 1 second, like some kind of bad signal, the image would be back, that arrive almost EVERY TIME i would get up, i could do it 10 time in a row it would still do the same thing

i do have video of it but the fact than i happen to film it while my desk was completly filthy 😄 stop me from make it public but happy to send the link to anyone that is curious to see it and maybe help me

i even thought that i could be because of the magnetic field i could generate from my chair has i get up, i am really pulling my hair out on this one

---------------------------------------------------------

first thing first :

- all my monitor are mounted on a wall
- all the cable are perfectly in
- that issue only happen when i get up not when i type really hard

MONITORS :
2 x 27" agon 1440p with gsync
1 x 35 " agon 3440*1440p with gsync

PC SPEC
- asus zentith ( duh !!)
- aorus 1080 ti WB ( the one with integrated waterblock that need you to connected to a pump and radiator for it to work)
- 64 gb of dd4 ram that can go to 3600 mhz ( but they work at defaut at 2133 because everything higher crash)
- ssd is a samsung 960 pro of 2 tb in m.2 format

---------------------------------------------------------

and so related to this weird issue that has been happening since i made my pc and realize it so other thing happened recently :

my computer just like any of you who bought an asus motherboard sometime freeze for no reason, lately i had 2 blue screen that happened when i turn on VLC .

i didn't take a pic of the first one so i don't remember but it had something to do with bad sector on hard drive , so i check my ssd using the cmd command and has i knew it even before i did it, everything was ok, because that ssd can take a lot of data for a long time,

just to be sure i updated to latest nvidia driver, i mean i got the latest gpu so it can't go that bad right ?

the second one was : PFN_LIST_CORRUPT and also happened during a movie

it seem this one is related to RAM, so i started a diagnostic to check, but this is relevant because the computer was in dos for this, not in windows, and yet has i stood up again all the monitor flicker....but this time the image didn't return, i suppose its because DOS been a rudimentory system it doesnt go for backup signal or whatever.

there was no way to restart the signal and the monitor turn off automaticaly because...lack of signal, so my guess is that nothing was being send to the monitor, ergo i really think the gpu may be at fault.

this time i wanted to get to the bottom of this so i didn't plug back my 2 27" and ketp only the 35 connected, i also disconnect the dp cable from the gpu just to be sure

and there was something weird, i could now see some tearing while playing a game, didnt happen with all 3 screen connected now is strange because like i said at the top of this post, this monitor come with g-sync and has i went to the nvidia app i could see it was activated so i don't get it.

i plan to use all monitor separatly to check is the other 2 do the same

and second thing, that just happen few minutes ago, i was playing fortnite and for the first time the game frooze completly, computer was still runing but nothing was working, no escape or multiple ALT+CTL+SUP , so i force shutdown the pc and tried again,

because i didnt know what could have cause it and that this piece of crap motherboard when i have to reboot from time to time SOMEHOW tell me it after 5 fail boot / restart, had to change my ram setting to default for it to work...... WHICH THEY ALWAY ARE !!!!!!!!

so i updated the bios just in case ( i know i know, but i can still dream if would fix stuff right ?) and went to 902

but the freeze happened again while i was in lobby.

i don't know what to think, his there a software that can show if g-sync is working or not, and even thow if the monitor is defective i am pretty sure a monitor can't freeze a pc so what the hell ?

and just so you know my temp are around 37-40 degree in the pc, its being cooled by multiple radiator

while i was writting this post i just check using a infrared thermometer and

- gpu is at 30 degree, fluid coming it is at 26 and coming out at 29
- cpu is at 30 degree also, fluid mesure are about the same

to conclude ( for now )

is there a soft anyone can suggest i can install that will write everything even if system freeze so i can get a clue of what is wrong , and then rma what cause the issue here, i would be gratefull

and has a bonus can anyone tell me how to turn off the U.2 port so i can run my ssd pci in x8 instead of x4

thx
11 REPLIES 11

BigJob
Level 10
How would your pc/monitor know when you're getting up?
I would try turning off the automated ambient lighting sensors on the monitors.
& then I would ask you about what kind of cables you're using (hdmi, dp)?

BigJob wrote:
How would your pc/monitor know when you're getting up?
I would try turning off the automated ambient lighting sensors on the monitors.
& then I would ask you about what kind of cables you're using (hdmi, dp)?

there isn't any sensor on any of them, thats why i thought about something with magnetic that would interfere with it, but the idea that i produce some kind of interference when i get up from my chair is weird, its an ikea chair not one i stole from area 51

i use display port cable.

i can send you the video if you want to check it out, its on my google drive.

also my floor is hardwood, not a carpet, and below is concrete.

for the tearing in the game i discovered that in the game menu v-sync was not enable, but doesnt g-sync superseed v-sync option in game ? anyway no more tearing since.

BigJob
Level 10
Are you using a third party Display Port cable or the one that came with the monitor? & you have a webcam ? How in the world is you standing up being converted into electrical signal all the way to your monitors, hmm...

BigJob wrote:
Are you using a third party Display Port cable or the one that came with the monitor? & you have a webcam ? How in the world is you standing up being converted into electrical signal all the way to your monitors, hmm...

you want the video ? i know it really weird

masterac wrote:
you want the video ? i know it really weird

Sure, let's see if there's anything with the video that might help. Also what ram are you using? & what display port cables are you using, what is the monitor refresh rate at?

BigJob wrote:
Sure, let's see if there's anything with the video that might help. Also what ram are you using? & what display port cables are you using, what is the monitor refresh rate at?

i sended you the link

my monitor refresh is at 100hz, the cable , you mean the brand ?

strangely enough the issue seem to have dissapear for now, i do get a lot of bsod but nothing for the monitor, i am using 2 at the moment, there is one left to plug in, but for now i dont get anything more flicker

BigJob
Level 10
The flicker might either be the webcam (unplug it completely if the problem comes back) or the display port cables you're using. The cables cause problems sometimes but from that video I really think the webcam is somehow the culprit even though you had it covered w white tape. ( https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?100604-Help-me-to-find-issue-with-gpu-or-monitor&highlight... ) . Yea the brand of the display port would be helpful. If it's not the display port cables that came with the monitors I would change them out for that.
So I would try at first unplugging the webcam and if not then replacing the display port wires (I had issued w my DP wires as well since i used third party wires that were low quality, not all DP wires are the same quality or can support the same bandwith).
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/

As for the BSODs, that might be ram related and the experts Arne or gus can help you best with that. Give them a PM to see if they can help if they don't see this. You should list the complete ram specs and model nos as well so that they can help you faster.

taking a stab in the dark here .. ::

I had issues in the past because my power supply wasn't able produce enough power for the card -- I had 1 power split into 2 the 2 8 pins .. i figured since it came with a splitter why not -- ran into funny issues like flickering - blue screen .. ect .. eventually randomly decided to add 2 cables from power supply to the card instead of the splitter and most my issues went away.

-- the problems you describe though could also be driver related or a bad cable - maybe its pinched funny and when you get it up it bends it to the point were it disconnects -- video cords are very temperamental

if you have 8 sticks that make 64 and you still have issues with your ram -- set grab the xmp settings in bios then go to mannel and drop your speed down to the default 2133 if it still has issue bump up the voltage a bit

test with prime95 .. good luck

Cory29 wrote:
taking a stab in the dark here .. ::

I had issues in the past because my power supply wasn't able produce enough power for the card -- I had 1 power split into 2 the 2 8 pins .. i figured since it came with a splitter why not -- ran into funny issues like flickering - blue screen .. ect .. eventually randomly decided to add 2 cables from power supply to the card instead of the splitter and most my issues went away.

-- the problems you describe though could also be driver related or a bad cable - maybe its pinched funny and when you get it up it bends it to the point were it disconnects -- video cords are very temperamental

if you have 8 sticks that make 64 and you still have issues with your ram -- set grab the xmp settings in bios then go to mannel and drop your speed down to the default 2133 if it still has issue bump up the voltage a bit

test with prime95 .. good luck

I futur proof my pc on that part, the psu is the corsair ax1500i, it give out 1500 watt and i barely use a third, power consumption jump to 400 if i mine with the pc but thats normal, i did this to check if the number that were displayed were correct, and it is.

has for tha cable, i can send you the link too if you like, strangely the quality of the updoad is really crappy and i don't know why, i guess share to googledrive isn't perfect so i will uploaded manualy if you need a crisp video

but to sum up, all the monitor are mounted to a wall, my chair is on hardwood floor not like walking is making a change, the cable lenght are different because the way the screen are, one is 5m and the other one are 3 meter.

and like i said i have been using only 2 monitor lately and i dont get this at all, although my webcam is covered with the protection it came with, i am curious to see and will take of the protection to see if indeed it does something or not.

my ram is a trident Z RGB kit of 64 GB

its the

f4-3600c17q-64gtzr
cl17-19-19-39 1.35v

i guess i will have to check it out, what bother me is that i need my pc everytday, i was able to make it run at 2933 if i remember, but i got a bsod, i didnt change the tension so maybe that the issue