cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual WAN not working [ROG Rapture GT-AC5300]

stefan063
Level 8
I have two 100Mb/s Down and 10Mb/s Up from same network provider. I have one WAN connection on PPPoE and other on "WAN 2" (LAN2) on Automatic IP. But for some reason other modem is seen in System Log but in main Network map is seen also but as "cable unplugged" . When I select WAN 2 I see only renew lease and waiting for IP adress from modem No. 2 and nothing happens. What should I check or do in this case?
25 REPLIES 25

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Do you have two separate modems from the same ISP?
What device is providing automatic IP?
Without two modems you may need this instead:
https://www.asus.com/au/Networking/DSL-AC88U/
What do you intend to do with the second connection? Aggregation or use as backup?

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
Do you have two separate modems from the same ISP?
What device is providing automatic IP?
Without two modems you may need this instead:
https://www.asus.com/au/Networking/DSL-AC88U/
What do you intend to do with the second connection? Aggregation or use as backup?

I have two separate modems from same ISP and of course one GT-AC5300.

First WAN is Static IP ( PPPoE connection protocol) and Second WAN is Automatic IP (PPPoE connection protocol as well). I want Aggregated connection.

And is constantly poping up that my network cable is unplugged even it is not.

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Have you tried setting the secondary WAN as Static or PPPoE instead of Automatic?

Have you confirmed that both modems/internet connections are working okay? What happens if you try switching the two modems? (second modem used as primary set to Static IP, primary modem used as secondary)

For Ethernet LAN, are you connecting to one of the Gaming ports (1 and 2) or Link Aggregation ports (5 and 6)?

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
Have you tried setting the secondary WAN as Static or PPPoE instead of Automatic?

Have you confirmed that both modems/internet connections are working okay? What happens if you try switching the two modems? (second modem used as primary set to Static IP, primary modem used as secondary)

For Ethernet LAN, are you connecting to one of the Gaming ports (1 and 2) or Link Aggregation ports (5 and 6)?

I have set both connections as PPPoE. You haven't seen what I wrote. Only secondary WAN is on Automatic IP since I don't have Static IP over second connection.

I have tried every single combination. Switching second connection to WAN and vise versa. Second WAN (LAN WAN is not working). On LAN 1 (gaming 1 port) I have connected my laptop and on LAN 2 (gaming port also) I have set Ethernet WAN. I have tried also Ethernet WAN on LAN 5 and 6,same problem.

I will upload later on YouTube video so that you can see what I am talking about,problem I have.

Here is the YouTube link -> https://youtu.be/5PNY02fGoSI <-

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
So you mean the 2nd modem (Automatic IP) works only as primary but not secondary (no matter which Ethernet LAN port), correct?

Instead of setting both to PPPoE, try changing secondary to Automatic IP:

Your 1st modem appears to be working fine, what happens when you use that as Ethernet LAN?

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
So you mean the 2nd modem (Automatic IP) works only as primary but not secondary (no matter which Ethernet LAN port), correct?

Instead of setting both to PPPoE, try changing secondary to Automatic IP:

Your 1st modem appears to be working fine, what happens when you use that as Ethernet LAN?

Yes. That is correct.

I tried that also "Instead of setting both to PPPoE, try changing secondary to Automatic IP:"

Now what I am doing is that I have put one more router between 2nd modem and GT-AC5300. Tried because GT will receive different Gateway. But nothing. Same problem. Network cable is unplugged. Even though it is clearly connected. And again I switch internet connection OFF then ON again and GT gets Connected for few second and then AGAIN "Network cable disconnected" and it release all connections to second router.

This is clearly firmware issue. Since I have now unplugged second WAN (Ethernet LAN) and connected again,while watching status on laptop,GT doesn't see it while I am connecting WAN 2 again.