Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTX 1070 Issues - Possible VRAM Crashing Issues

evanb6
Level 7
Hi everyone,

My setup = setup

I've been experiencing a few issues with my Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 card, most notably I experience crashing on games from time to time. I believe this to be a VRAM issues as I may go days without any issues, and then days where I am consistently experiencing issues. Each time I crash, I noticed the following errors: Within my Reliability History Log, I see "Hardware Error - Live Kernel Event Code 141" and within my Event Viewer, I see the following warning message "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.".

Troubleshooting I have performed includes the following: DDU clean drive uninstall, reformatting windows, testing out different Nvidia drivers, underclocking my card, stress tests which show no issues. I even RMA'd my original graphics card and am still experiencing similar issues with the replacement card (although the replacement card no longer green screen crashes occassionally on youtube/twitch videos).

Anyone have any tips on how to proceed? I am happy to share more information if needed.

Thanks!
15 REPLIES 15

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Processor or memory overclocked?
Are any components overly hot?

I have not done any overclocking on my processor or memory. I have run OpenHardwareMonitor in the background during intensive games, noting the GPU temp doesn't get above 65~67 Celsius.

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
What PSU do you have?
Which games have crashed previously?

PSU is the following: EVGA - 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Games I have crashed on includes the main games I play, which are Overwatch, PUBG, and Witcher 3. Most recently for Overwatch, I will always get a "Rendering device has been lost" error each time I crash. Again, these crashes are very streaky. I can go days without issues, and then all of a sudden I consistently get a crash each time I try to load a game. Please note I am not experiencing any other PC issues outside of gaming.

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Is there any way you can get your hands on a different graphics card to test? It would be good to establish if the graphics card is really the issue.
If two different cards produce similar results, it's possible something else is causing the issue.

For the "Rendering device has been lost" error, other people with different graphics cards are also experiencing the same thing. Best keep an eye out for fixes, updates, or try this:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20759187679

Unfortunately I do not have access to another graphics card at this time.

Regarding the game fix, I can try that, but unfortunately that would just be a temporary patch to an issue that would still be impacting other games. Any other troubleshooting you can recommend to try to hone in on what the exact issue may be?

Bump

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
It's not likely to be a VRAM issue if you RMA'd and got a replacement. I would recommend taking the system to a system integrator who will have access to other components. Try in a different PCIE slot if you haven't done so already, too.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Chino
Level 15
If possible, do a fresh Windows installation with the latest build and NVIDIA drivers. See if the problem still persists.